PDA

View Full Version : 1st Wahoo - Ballina

samsy
09-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Caught my first wahoo yesterday and it just happened to be a 20.4 kilo monster. Talk about beginners luck.

We started our day with a gentleman's start at 7am. Had a sticky beak around for some mackerel at first but the conditions weren't right. Packed up the gear and headed for the 32's.

We were targeting marlin and had a good spread of lures out for no than 10 mins before the first strike on a pink squid. The line of the TLD 20 was stripped off at an amazing rate. By the end of the first run i only had a 1/4 of the spool left. Finally retrieved the line and had the fish close to the boat for it to throw the hook. After all of that we didn't even get to see what it was. :-/

On the second strike Adam hooked up to a nice 10 kilo wahoo. It was my turn for the next strike. The big fluro green plastic close to the boat was smashed. Set the hook and the battle was on. The fish was swimming in every direction and causing a mess with the lines. After a 20 minute fight, two detangled lines, and another line wrapped around the prop a big wahoo surfaced. I couldn't believe it. It was huge. It was my first wahoo and just happened to be a trophy fish as well. Cant get any better than that. We trolled around for a few more hours. Hooked a few striped and yellow fin tuna but didn't catch our targeted species - marlin. I hope i am just as lucky when i catch my first marlin . ;D

I have to say wahoo are alot of fun to catch and great eating.

creeko
09-02-2007, 07:14 AM
nice fish samsy.heard there are a few about with that warm water around.try in close for marlin as they are every where.make sure you post photos when you catch your first one,sure to cause a bit of a reaction.the mackeral are a bit scarse at the moment with the odd one about,cant wait till there thick.

snapperm8
09-02-2007, 07:32 AM
nice hoo there deffently stuck a smile on ur diall didnt it!

cheer dave

aussiefool
09-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Well done mate any fish that is a first is great ,but when it's a monstar like that top stuff
Aussiefool
Andrew

Pistol_P
09-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Awesome hoo mate.....I am cringing to get a wahoo...8-)

stonecold
09-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Well done samsy, great fish will be out off Evans hopefully with a similar result

Gazza.Boyne
09-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Top stuff samsy, can't wait to get my first hoo.

Gazza

Blackened
09-02-2007, 12:43 PM
G'day
Congrats on the first 'hoo and don't they go hard :)

Dave

frenzy
09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Very nice fish
Good one samsy

larfin
09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Thats a hoo and a half,well done samsy
cheers
greg

BLOOEY
09-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Nice wahoo mate,Ill have to give em a go.Top looking rig in the backround too.what boat is that.

samsy
10-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Blooey, the boat belongs to my mate. Its a 7 metre aluminium mono hull. I think its made by "Lighting Bolt". Its a beautiful boat. She is powered by twin 100hp Yamaha four strokes, has a 1Kw colour sounder and GPS/autopilot linked up. Very comfortable and practicable boat for fishing. It weighs 3 tonnes, so you need a decent vehicle to tow it though.

lumox
10-02-2007, 08:44 AM
good fish congrats play up much?

onerabbit
12-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Great fish Marc, WELL DONE,

hehehehe, that will give us something proper to chase.

Muzz

capt
13-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Now that is a very nice fish !!!!!!!

Congrats there Samy.......

Jimmy