PDA

View Full Version : Why are Boats/Vessels referred to in Female terms?

Marlin_Mike
09-02-2007, 05:18 AM
We all refer to our boats in the Female term..... :"her" "she".

There is bound to be some ancient ritual or tradition for calling them as female, just dont know why.

Does anybody know of any reason or where it originated? And be careful how you reply........LOL........... ::) ;D :o

Mike

finga
09-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Because they're both cranky, cantankerous, expensive, high maintenance creatures that need constant looking after and you can't do without either.
Oops, did I say that??? ;)
Some of it's right. I wouldn't be without the cook or the boat/s :)
(I had to look to see if I put the cook first otherwise she'd snot me silly :dizzy: )
;D

skippa
09-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Because they're both cranky, cantankerous, expensive, high maintenance creatures that need constant looking after and you can't do without either.

LOL, yep I heard ya ;D

Mike I dunno bout any ancient ritual, but every time my 'girl' comes into shore 'she' always heads straight for the bouys ... ;D

Yeah ok its a sick one, but hey I just woke up..::)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

timddo
09-02-2007, 08:41 AM
They have bungs where water leaks out and comes in. Just like male and female plugs on computers.

Blackened
09-02-2007, 08:45 AM
G'day
Don't know the history of it but they're both beautiful, useful and high maintenance. I can say all this safely as i'm single :D

Dave

Wahoo
09-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Some of it's right. I wouldn't be without the cook or the boat/s :)
(I had to look to see if I put the cook first otherwise she'd snot me silly :dizzy: )
;D

LOL........................ yer Ditto

Stuart
09-02-2007, 09:59 AM
I look at it this way. We all love our boats to bits, so if we called it a guy, a boy , or even a man then that would make us sound a bit gay. I mean how many gay fisherman do you know?. ;D

Stu

Argle
09-02-2007, 03:36 PM
And imagine telling your mates how well "he" rides????:-* :o

Cheers and Beers
Scott

aussie_true_blue
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
WHY IS A SHIP CALLED "SHE"
A ship is called 'she' because there is always a great deal of'bustle' around her.;

There is usually a gang of men about;

She has a 'waist' and 'stays';

It takes a lot of paint to keep her looking good;

It is not the initial expense that 'breaks' you, it is the 'upkeep';She can be all 'decked' out;

It takes an experienced man to handle 'her' correctly;

And without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable;

She shows her 'topsides';

Hides her 'bottom';

And, when coming into port, ALWAYS HEADS FOR THE 'BUOYS'.

That is why a ship is called "SHE"

Cheers Bob

PS I'm game to say that as been married 34 years and my wife doesnt listen to me anyway.

Stuart
09-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I suppose if you’re lucky enough she may even be a bit top heavy. Or if you’re unlucky, she could have a wide beam. If it was a male then all woman could complain about was its bulbous bow. I’m sure we could go on forever well I’m waiting.:P

Stu

Dicko
09-02-2007, 04:25 PM
I look at it this way. We all love our boats to bits, so if we called it a guy, a boy , or even a man then that would make us sound a bit gay. I mean how many gay fisherman do you know?. ;D

Stu

Brokeback Mountain could be re made as "Brokeback Reef" ;D

a story about a forbidden and secretive relationship between two fisherman
.. highlighting in a weekend together anchored up near a secluded reef....

http://www.joe-perez.com/pics/woof.JPG

PinHead
09-02-2007, 04:33 PM

Stu

Stu....have you noticed that most of the time the blokes on here talk about going fishing with their mates...gotta wonder at times.

Marlin_Mike
09-02-2007, 04:43 PM
eewwwww Dicko..................... too much info there mate :)

Roughasguts
09-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I have found with the most beatifull ones, considering both.

Are in the hands of absolute no idea, in experianced amatuers, and would be better of with us, older more experianced and worthy types.

tigermullet
09-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Stu....have you noticed that most of the time the blokes on here talk about going fishing with their mates...gotta wonder at times.

Well, it's not right to leave your mates behind is it?;D

God, I can't believe I said that.:P

PinHead
09-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, it's not right to leave your mates behind is it?;D

God, I can't believe I said that.:P

haha..is the closet door opening here ????

tigermullet
09-02-2007, 05:13 PM
My wife would get a hell of shock (at my age) if it was.

Nope closet door firmly locked.;D

tigermullet
09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
And imagine telling your mates how well "he" rides????:-* :o

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Good one! And 'him' or 'he' would destroy some of the best sea-faring quotes.

Example: Nelson to Hardy, 'Those seagulls Mr Hardy, be they swimming or be they walking?'

'They be walking Sire.'

'Bring Her about Mr Hardy!'

To say nothing of the classic "The Good Ship Venus"::)

Stuart
09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
To much talk of gay’s and fishing, just doesn’t sound right to me, I’m getting a sick felling in my gutz. I think pinhead is right; the closet door has been opened, more like ripped off its hinges for some, way to much information. Besides, how did we go from woman to gay’s anyway?:-/

Stu

Dicko
09-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Besides, how did we go from woman to gay’s anyway?:-/

Stu

ummm, I think you started it :o

Is there something you want to talk about, maybe something you need to get off your chest Stu ?

;D;D

saphire
09-02-2007, 08:29 PM
LOL..... Interesting topic.
saphire.

Eagle
09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Ships were refered to as "her" in the Book of Acts in the New Testament of the Bible. Paul was sailing across the sea and when a storm overtook the boat, the men let HER drive before the wind.
Acts 27:15
"And when the ship was caught, and could not bear up into the wind, we let her drive"
And again in Acts 27:32
"Then the soldiers cut off the ropes of the boat, and let HER fall off."
This is where a boat has been refered to as a "she" or "her" and that was 2000 years ago. I guess the use of the female gender goes back even earlier than that, possibly to the first? boat ever built, Noahs Ark. Regardless of all else, the use of the word (her / she) goes back a very long way.
Eagle

Bob H
09-02-2007, 09:56 PM
i think its because most of the time there ok but the rest of the time they are tempremental, bitches of things , and they really piss you off, and theres nothing you can do to fix it . just my theory. bob h

Barnacle Billy
09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
...because they like being ridden, pounded, turned over, filled with junk and cost money!

fly_1
10-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Because they both make you sick!!!!!!!

saphire
10-02-2007, 07:15 AM
A few gynophobic comments made in this thread. Thats OK. Its a chat forum and I believe in free speech.
I will just concentrate on the nice things about boats named after females instead.
Remember you have lots of beautiful women in your lives. Mothers, wifes, sisters, daughters and friends. Im sure that most of them are lovely. Not all are nasty.
saphire.

finga
10-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Yep, your right Saphire...
I wouldn't be without the cook.
She's always there through thick and thin.
Actually the boat is always there too!! :)
My mom's a good old stick too. She makes the best anzac's. :smug:
Only thinking about that as mom and dad are coming today. And guess what's for smoko??? ;D

Stuart
10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Finga

Have to pull you up on something mate. You an American or Australian mate? You spell Mom as Americans do; we here in Australia spell it Mum. You also committed blasphemy by using Mom in the same sentence as Anzac biscuits. By the way, all that has been said about woman and boats are spot on. Couldn’t stop laughing at some.:P

Stu

finga
10-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Finga

Have to pull you up on something mate. You an American or Australian mate? You spell Mom as Americans do; we here in Australia spell it Mum. You also committed blasphemy by using Mom in the same sentence as Anzac biscuits. By the way, all that has been said about woman and boats are spot on. Couldn’t stop laughing at some.:P

Stu
:-X sorry to all those who were offended by my mis-spelling. Especially all the dinky-di mums out there.

Well hold me down and eat all of my mum's biscuits in front of me without giving me one. I didn't realise that. Must be all those Mothers Day cards I given over the years have given me a bum steer.
Sorry about that Stuart. :-X I'm (hopefully) true blue as my Kingswood and Stessel boat. ;D
C'mon aussie C'mon.
Thanks for pulling me up on something as important as that. I will never forget now ;D

Stuart
10-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Just letting you know mate, last thing we want is an international incident right here on Ausfish. Man, that was a close one, have to crack a tinny after that.::)

Stu

finga
10-02-2007, 10:01 AM
it's past 10 o'clock and all :)

Reel Nauti
10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Of huge concern in days of old was "taking one over the poop"!

Where does it end?? ..............sorry.

Dave

kingtin
10-02-2007, 09:05 PM
A bit of trivia that I vaguely remember..............

Russians have always referred to ships in a male context........"he's a good old ship" .

Dunno if any other nationalities do the same but it'd make for interesting research to see if nationalities who use male gender for ships, machinery etc also refer to "motherland," whilst those who use the female gender for ships refer to "fatherland." There may of course, be no relationship at all I am just musing 'cause I know that "motherland" is in more common usage in Russia than "fatherland"

kev

murf
11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
My boat is definitely female as it has a Good SPOT J

Cheers Murf

NAGG
12-02-2007, 07:02 AM
I always thought that it was because its the woman that usually ends up with the boat (divorce!);D ;D ;D NAGG

Retslock
12-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I can't believe none of you know the answer to this question. All vessels are referred to as "she" because they carry people inside them as a pregnant women does.

Why else?

kingtin
12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
I can't believe none of you know the answer to this question. All vessels are referred to as "she" because they carry people inside them as a pregnant women does.

Why else?

Well, with that line of thought they could just as well be male 'cause they carry se(a)men ;D

kev

Sea-Dog
12-02-2007, 11:27 PM
:-X sorry to all those who were offended by my mis-spelling. Especially all the dinky-di mums out there.

Well hold me down and eat all of my mum's biscuits in front of me without giving me one. I didn't realise that. Must be all those Mothers Day cards I given over the years have given me a bum steer.
Sorry about that Stuart. :-X I'm (hopefully) true blue as my Kingswood and Stessel boat. ;D
C'mon aussie C'mon.
Thanks for pulling me up on something as important as that. I will never forget now ;D

Hey Finga, what brand of boat do you have?
http://www.stessl.com.au

::)::)::) Sea-Dog

finga
13-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Hey sea-dog, the link doesn't work. ;)
And yep, as a speller I make a good car washer. :-/
Cheers and ta for sorting my spelling out :thumbup:

Grand_Marlin
13-02-2007, 07:06 AM
Yep, boats and women certainly are similar ....

I always seem to get the ones that have been around a bit and need a bit of fixing up :'(

But all is good :D

A couple of good long screws and a topside enhancemnet and they are ready for action again ;D

Cheers

Pete

finga
13-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Some were very close to the mark...
According to Yarns of the Sea, Legends, Myths, and Superstitions: Although women were considered to bring bad luck at sea, mariners always use the pronoun "she" when referring to their ships. Whether its proper name is masculine, or whether it is a man o'war, a battleship, or a nuclear submarine, a ship is always referred to as "she."
This old tradition is thought to stem from the fact that in the Romance languages, the word for "ship" is always in the feminine. For this reason, Mediterranean sailors always referred to their ship as "she", and the practice was adopted over the centuries by their English-speaking counterparts.
One source suggests that a ship "was nearer and dearer to the sailor than anyone except his mother." What better reason to call his ship "she"?
reference:- http://www.boatsafe.com/kids/kidsquesshe.htm (http://www.boatsafe.com/kids/kidsquesshe.htm)

Or another reference I found...
In languages that use gender for ordinary nouns, ships, and other objects they are almost always placed in a feminine format. Similarly, early sailors spoke of their ships from the feminine point of view because of the extremely intimate reliance they had on ships to provide nourishment and the means to survive in times of primitive technology. This very old practice is believed to come from the fact that in the romance languages, the word for "ship" is always in a feminine arrangement. Consequently, sailors always referred to their ships as "her" or "she." The custom has continued after being embraced by English-speaking peoples many centuries ago.
reference:- http://www.antonnews.com/oysterbayenterprisepilot/2006/06/16/sports/sagamore.html

So there is something there about mums and sheilas
Some of the other reasons are pretty convincing as well ;D

Marlin_Mike
13-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey finga.........does that also explain why cyclones are named in the female gender?????????????:):):):)

Mike

finga
13-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey finga.........does that also explain why cyclones are named in the female gender?????????????:):):):)
Mike
Well mate I think in that case it's because the power and strength of these (cyclones) is absolutely massive and that makes them just like a sheila....if you don't watch them, learn and adapt to their moods and treat them with respect they'll rip your head off and spit down your throat....or something like that ;) .
;D
Gees I hope the cook doesn't read this or I'm a goner again :'(
;D

Dicko
13-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Mike

They alternate between male & female now, must be all this new age equality stuff :o

Grand_Marlin
13-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I thought cyclones were named after women 'cos they are wet and wild when they come ... and take your house when they go :o

Cheers

Pete