PDA

View Full Version : new 18hp tohatsu

blaze
08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
well after a lot of thinking and tossing ideas around I pick up my new 18 hp tohatsu tomorrow. Final cost was $2200 + 4 litres of 2 stroke oil with a garentee of $120 for 10 hr service. Fairly happy with deal. Only drama is that on tuesday I was also offered a sweet deal to seal my driveway for $2300 but that will have to wait a month to build up the bank a bit.
cheers
blaze
ps
the little 12 foot brooker will think its a speed boat after the old 86 9.9 johno

finga
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Do you reckon you can get to the first service by Saturday??
Poor little Brooker won't know itself ;)

blaze
08-02-2007, 03:18 PM
I reckon it will be there by monday, although there is a lot of hrs in saturday.
cheers
blaze

snelly1971
08-02-2007, 05:57 PM
So who did you rip off up there in Mifton Blaze...some poor old pensioner i suppose...you`s Austar guys are horrible little men...Haha...just joking...Im heading down the coast in the morning to Point Hibbs...25 blokes going in 6 boats for 6 days...going to be a great time...

Menion
08-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Good purchase mate, i got a 18 tohy on my 3.5m tinny, mate she really goes, just be careful when accelerating, the tohy has a lot more torque than most other motors. Ive had 3 up and she still goes faster than i want to go, ive even had it airbourne, which resulted in me aging 10 years, so until you get to know the boat with the new motro, be carefull. Even at the recomended throttle position for running in the boat got on the plane with 3 people on board. Awesome motor. Good luck

Fish Guts
09-02-2007, 12:31 AM
must agree menion - the 18 tohatus are pretty much the same as a 25. they haul arse

blaze
10-02-2007, 09:43 AM
happy
only done an hour at this point, it flys one up. Bloody wind was blowin about 25knt, made for a bummpy ride in duck bay (probable a bit like 2 foot morton bay chop). Started well, first pull with choke, idled for a little and dropped off the choke. Nice and quiet for a smokey noisey 2 stroke, but I still reckon the best bit is the simplicity of the motor. One of the things I like also is the external linkage to drop the box off for the gearshift linkage.
cheers
blaze
ps
just gotta fix the bloody boat trailer now after the edge of the ramp jumped out in front of my guard, took some lining up but I got a good connection with it in the end.

finga
10-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Ah boating. :)
What else would you be doing if you weren't fixing something??

Kleyny
10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Ah boating. :)
What else would you be doing if you weren't fixing something??
the wife thought dirt bikes where bad. so she said why dont you get a boat?
now that was silly;D ;D . i spend as much time playin with the boat as i did with my bike.

at least shes happier with the boat. the family can go out and i cannt bust myself up as bad i did with the bike. (touch wood)

neil

Suntzu
18-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Do you reckon a new 18hp tohatsu 2 stroke would push a Makocraft 390 with a basic fitout decently? The 18s are a good price and the 30hp are a huge jump in power and cost/weight??