PDA

View Full Version : A day of first evers

aussiefool
08-02-2007, 06:08 AM
It all started on Tuesday around mid-day when the skipper asked if I knew what the sea was doing ? As it had been blowing from the S.E. for a few days I thought the sea would still be up so I checked out the web cams for both D'Bar (shows the Tweed Bar ) and Currumbin (shows Palmy) and to my surprise it was as flat as a tack. The call was made that we would have yet an other crack at Palmy reef. The skipper asked me to wake him at 4am(NSW) and to my surprise he was up and waiting, a first for him. We were on the water by 5am again a first as the skipper usally jiggs around to about 530 before comming over to my place (boat is kept at my place).

We got down to Palmy by about 6ish and dropped anchor, before I even got a line into the water the skipper was onto a Spottie of about 2kg.About 15 mins later I was on aswell to a spottie and got it to the boat but when the skipper hit it with the gaff he knocked it off. ( This is not the first time he has done that to me :furious2: )

Again about 10 mins later my line takes off big time, not the feave 18kg rod with a leaver drag... no no no, had to be my second rod that I have a old 5-9 kg rod that I have to just muck around( more of a bream/snapper rod) with fitted with a Oquma quadra 80 loaded with 20lb line. I used the Oquma to spin off the rocks with. I knew it was a good fish from the start by the way it felt so I could not go to hard on it. The fish ran me around the boat 3 times played dirty by getting tangled in the anchor rope.After about 15-20 mins I was winning line back and it was done and I got it to the boat and I could see it for the first time a Cobe and what a cobe but when he saw my ugly face it wanted out of there,but line and rod held and it was back to the boat and the skipper said I'll get the gaff. NO the net as you always knock my fish off, but the net was to small, so it had to be the gaff. The first strike missed :'( and I thought here we go again as the Cobe took off at a great rate of knots but luckly it was almost done and I got it back to the boat easy. With luck the second gaff strike hit's mark and into the boat came my FIRST EVER cobia :laola: :laola: . There were cheers from all the other boats that had moved in to watch the epic battle and high 5's on our boat.

After that it seemed a bit quite for a while till the rods with off again this time it was the skipper and he got a 4 gk spotty. In the next couple hrs we also landed a couple more spotties .
So all in all a great day out
Aussiefool
Andrew

finga
08-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Bloody beauty mate. ;D
Got to be happy about that.
See, good things come to those who wait...and wait and wait
Only one trouble though. The new reel still hasn't had a good testing yet. :'(
Better line up the strays and 1/2 pork sausage ;)

jiffo
08-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Great day out. Fishing is great you don,t know whats going to happen from trip to trip. CHEERS JIFFO

Blackened
08-02-2007, 07:45 AM
G'day
congrats ont he cobe, pretty good fight aren't they!

Nice spottie aswell

Dave

Pistol_P
08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Nice!.....Well done Andrew.
Cobia are great value all round....They fight hard and eat well.8-)

SgBFish
08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Great effort mate.
The weekeend weather has been terrible lately and this one coming looks shite as well.
Need to give up work. I'll see what the boss thinks?
Scott

aussiefool
08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Bloody beauty mate. ;D

Only one trouble though. The new reel still hasn't had a good testing yet. :'(
Better line up the strays and 1/2 pork sausage ;)

Oh so true mate, the new you beaut reel has only landed a small squire,a very small sting rey and a spangled emporia, next time, yes there is always next time ;D ;D

roz
08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Very pleased for you Andrew,:D

They are good clean fighters....except for anchor ropes, and as strong as. I love catching them, not too many lately:( .

Another bonus is they are good tucker. Well done mate!! I'm really happy for you.

cheers Roz.

Roo
08-02-2007, 01:34 PM
well done andrew. when you go to palmy, do you go out the currumbin bar? or trip around from tweed?

cheers, roo

snapperm8
08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
sounds like a great time and a nice cobe and spotty

cheerss dave

aussiefool
08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
JIFFO,That's the reason we all go fishing, because no 2 dys are the same.

Blackened,Pistol_P and Roz, yep a great fight particulaly on the light rod, it had the Oquma screeming at times.

Roybyroo, We launch at Fingle and head down from there, most times we trail a few skirts just incase of something wants to come and play

DaMaGe
08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Top effort!
Great story write up!
:)

larfin
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Got to be happy with that .
great feed
cheers greg

fish2eat
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
great work andrew......I thought you were bolted to the stones at Hastings Point, but great to see the reward for the offshore work.

I guess you'll be chomping on it by now!!!!!!

Cheers
Stu

aussiefool
09-02-2007, 02:17 AM
great work andrew......I thought you were bolted to the stones at Hastings Point, but great to see the reward for the offshore work.

I guess you'll be chomping on it by now!!!!!!

Cheers
Stu

mmmmmmm..... Going outside fishing or fishing at Hasting's tough choice. I'll go outside thanks, but then again I'm off to Hasting's to chase a Jew in about 20 mins:D

simonpp82
09-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey mate,

I saw you down at fingal ramp that morning, i was with my brother in the centre console longboat launching right next to you guys. I had a feeling i recognised you! next time i'll say g'day... We trolled fidos early for nothing then anchored off kingy and caught a 10kg yellowfin on a livie. On the way home we trolled up a wahoo at the mudhole only to have it spit the hooks near the boat. The yellowfin made it worthwhile anyway. Good to see you had some fun up at palmy! - simon

Big_Ren
09-02-2007, 11:20 AM
They are great chewing at that size Andrew. Congrats on your first. The fish looks in great condition.....well....maybe not seeing as there's a gaff in it lol.

Cheers and well done again
Paul

frenzy
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Always on the light gear,well done

aussiefool
10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey mate,

I saw you down at fingal ramp that morning, i was with my brother in the centre console longboat launching right next to you guys. I had a feeling i recognised you! next time i'll say g'day... We trolled fidos early for nothing then anchored off kingy and caught a 10kg yellowfin on a livie. On the way home we trolled up a wahoo at the mudhole only to have it spit the hooks near the boat. The yellowfin made it worthwhile anyway. Good to see you had some fun up at palmy! - simon

Sure thing I'm always up for a chat, that Yellow fin would have been fun.
We watch you guys at the bar .... did you have any trouble getting across? We went out on the Nth side and almost flipped ....... shere luck that we didn't as we got smashed by 2 waves that just stood up in frount of us,they came out of no where

simonpp82
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah i was surprised how average the bar conditions were that day... We didn't have any trouble, just watched it for a while and snuck out more on the southern side and cut across behind that shallow section near the north wall. The yellowfin went pretty hard, especially cos we were at anchor and using mackerel drag settings... good fun.

Franco
12-02-2007, 10:51 PM
When I read your post I did this at the end!!

:laola: :laola:

Well done mate.

Not so nice to hear you almost lost it on the bar though! Whatever you do don't let me see you in our emergency dept mate!!

Look after yourself!

Burley_Boy
13-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Cool Cobe, but careful on the bar mate.
So are the spotties back on bigtime or just scattered?

aussiefool
14-02-2007, 04:08 AM
When I read your post I did this at the end!!

:laola: :laola:

Well done mate.

Not so nice to hear you almost lost it on the bar though! Whatever you do don't let me see you in our emergency dept mate!!

Look after yourself!

Franko, asmuch as it would be great to catch up with you one day, I only ever want it to be on the water and never at work,;) . I have the greatest of confidence in the skipper even though he is a young fella never takes any risks, he has been in the water once while at sea and dosn't want a repeat, I have seen him turn the boat around and head back to the ramp on days that I would of gone out without a second thought

aussiefool
14-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Cool Cobe, but careful on the bar mate.
So are the spotties back on bigtime or just scattered?

Always careful on any bar mate, As for the spotties,mmmmmm, there were a few around but not in great numbers we boated 4 for the day with most boats doing the same,