PDA

View Full Version : Bugman needs a new boat

bugman
07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm about to be boatless for the first time in a long time and I'm starting to get the shakes.

To the fix the problem I'm starting to look for a replacement :D

Some may know I'm now in Tassie ans a result my requirements are now different from when in Brissy.

I'm looking to fish the big dams and lakes for trout, head off around the rugged coastline to dive for crays and maybe head offshore a bit to get stuck into the Southen Blueflin Tuna that make there way close to the southern shore here.

This is what I'm thinking. Something around the 5.5m open tinny with Tiller steer 60ish four stroke, built in casting deck on front with large electric. Electric could be taken off for offshore.

I need the big open space in the middle for all my dive gear and cray pots. I was thinking plate but I'm leading towards pressed as it still needs to follow me over all the rough bits and pieces of tracks through the central highlands and I need to handle it by myself.

Anyone had experience in big tinnies they would like to share. I'm open to all suggestions and willing to spend a bit of time to get the righ package together. Any tinnies better than others?

Brett

inspired
07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi bugman
My Wifes Uncles son builds plate boats and has a 5 m center console ready to go at the moment you can always ring him may be able to build boat to suit your needs. Down in tassie things can get ruff out side defently want some thing sturdy but can understand wanting to be able to handle easily.
Contact Anslie 0410 530 427 FineLine custom Hulls
regards Jeff

Fish Guts
07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi Bugman,

Id recommend the 520 dory from quintrex. i had a 460 dory and got extruded side decks fitted from factory. was an awesome boat. the side decks add a heap more strength and made it that much easier to drop over the side when diving. had a 50 2/stroke yam and went like a cut snake. they do make a 520 dory and i think there max hp is a 60. the 460 got me to a fair few good reefs and was fairly dry ride. was going to get the 520 but it was just too big for my needs..proably suit you to a tee thou.. they are a big tinnie ! and good value.

hope you find the right one

cheers
fishguts

vertico
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
have a look at the stabicraft frontier in 529 or 560 sizes
very capable boat

nigelr
08-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Bugman.
Know you like your diving, so check this Aussie-built stabi style.
I'd buy this if I had the money ATM.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=2336916&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau
homepage for Typhoon boats is www.############.com.au (http://www.############.com.au)
Best of luck with your search!

Grand_Marlin
08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
G'day Bugman,

I would look at Tristar or Midnite Marine, which are both built in Tassie to handle Tassie conditions.

A lot of pro ab divers use these.

Toy pressed alloy boats are (IMO) not going to be up to the task.

Cheers

Pete

Matt_F
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Brett
Definitly go plate if you have the cash. And like grand marlin said, buying in tassie would be a better option as the builders down there more than likely now the conditions. I'm thinking 60hp might be on the small side for a 5.5m hull (particularly plate), but anything over 60 in a tiller is getting a little hard to swing off. Another consideration, driving with a tiller can get a bit wet at times, I get wet and cold in mine and I live in north QLD. Maybe I'm a bit of a sook. Good luck with the research.
Matt.

lippa
08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
brett,

this may interest you, my boat a stacer 5.25 seahorse is for sale.

its a open tinny with a 60hp merc elpto. all late '05 model. approx 100 hrs

colour sounder chart plotter, vhf cd, all offshore safety gear.

been a great boat, i am upgrading. to a big platey

owes me early twenties, chasing late teens for it

some pics

davo
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Find a good local plate builder. The pressed stuff won't last doing that kind of work.

blaze
08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
scruff yourself a midnite Brett, do every thing you want to do or alternately buy a motor and check in the back of the bus and when down the west coast at least, there is 50 bloody different size tinnies dragged up the dunes or rocks, just take ya picck for the day and put it back when ya finished.
cheers
blaze
ps
hope leanne and bub are doing well

snelly1971
08-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Dont mess with Junk Brett...Go the Tri-Star better ride than the Midnight and alot more stronger..

Smithy
09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
I reckon Jeffo will sell ya his tinny for the right price. Many Black Watch 34's down there? Off to Port Stephens tonight. Yeha got 6 the other day out of Pt.

SeaHunt
09-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you need two boats.

bugman
09-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I have been thinking of getting two boats but I'm not sure Leanne will see the funny side of it having two boats for the third time in my life::)

I know I'm trying to get an inbetween boat but at the moment that's what I want. When I've got more time to enjoy both offshore and freshwater fishing I'll probably go to two boats but can't justify it now.

I've actually met a couple of plate boat builders down here and would prefer to go that way but the weight is really going to be an issue floating around the timber up the lakes and handling by myself.

Lippa - that's sorrta where I'm looking but I'm guessing you're in lovely sunny QLD.

Blaze - That's what I use when I'm down the west coast but I'd prefer one that doesn't let in water ;D Family is fine as well mate thanks.:D

Smithy - Which boat at Port? Have not seen a Blackwatch yet and I've been looking - lots of Rivs from the white show brigade. I've heard Ymer is starting to run into a bit of bad luck - I knew the good run was too long to last.

I'm still looking - maybe also looking to move on the Defender :o

The world is a changing place

Cloud_9
09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Brett how bout a Galeforce 5.5 tiller, and a 60 Etec.
Cast platform and electric go hand in hand
their a good big boat. that will handle the rough and be good for the dams too.
ph 07 55461225 thats the factory.( Galeforce boats.)
the 6o e tec should get 30 knots. or close too for a tiller.

Greg P
09-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Sounds like you still have a bit of time to serve down there Brett :'(

At least you wont get too many ignorant catamarans down that way :-X;D;D;D

lippa
12-02-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=105108

se here^^^^^^^^

i'll tow it half way brett!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

snelly1971
12-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Not a bad looking rig Lippa...looks to be well set out..

jeffo
13-02-2007, 09:42 AM
buy mine!!

webby
13-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I no where you can find a tinnie (army type);D even comes with a Patrol for towing purposes;D
Dive gear;) what about the dicky seat for Harrison;D
Hoping to be down in the winter months, so you better have something that floats.
Say Hi to Leanne, Harrison and Barry, Love the photo mate;)
regards