PDA

View Full Version : Graphite rods

Poodroo
07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Just out of curiosity is it the same process to restore a graphite rod as it is for fibreglass? I do have a 7ft Wilson graphite rod that I had to retire because the grips and reel seat are falling apart which is a real shame because the blank has done such great service over time having caught my PB snapper at 62cms. Might take it along to the RBW to see if it is worth restoring.

Poodroo

Stuart
07-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Bring it along as well mate, but to let you know carbon "not graphite" can be rebuilt witht he same amount of effort as glass rods. Carbon rods need a bit more care and a lot lighter hand at removing thread and guides.

Stu

Poodroo
07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks Stuart. I will bring it along as well. It is also a personal favourite rod. All the guides are still intact, just all the fittings at the butt need replacing. Have no clue how that all comes off. Is it worth doing do you think? I guess if I look at current prices of Wilson rods these days it is.

Regards,

Poodroo

Stuart
07-02-2007, 06:10 PM
If you like it then its worth doing mate.

Noelm
09-02-2007, 08:44 AM
bad news is, probably need to strip off the guides to get new fittings on/off.

Poodroo
09-02-2007, 12:29 PM
bad news is, probably need to strip off the guides to get new fittings on/off.

Learn something new every day. Never thought of that. My way of thinking is that the fittings would go the other direction to pull them off. Maybe need to invest in another set of Fuji guides for it and just do the whole thing up. I will be busy at the RBW by the sounds of it. Lol

Poodroo