PDA

View Full Version : Squire on Bait ... Advise

castlemaine
07-02-2007, 06:15 AM
I'm a little confused :-/ as what is the best rig to chase bay squire and sweetlip using bait around Wello and Peel shallows. Getting good bites but not hooking up ... losing more fish than catching. A little help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. :-*
I normally fish 12lb mono main, lead(depending on current) , swivel, 12lb vanish trace then single 4/0. Main baits being prawns, mullet flesh and baby squid.
I've seen two hook rigs with no trace and lead straight on top hook, rigs with lumo beads, rigs with swivels on hooks, etc.
Like to hear what everyone else uses with success. Thanks8-)

trueblue
07-02-2007, 08:59 AM
What sort of 4/0 are you using??

castlemaine
07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Mustad Salt Water 4200D

straddie
07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Heya Castlemaine

4/0 should be ok if you are getting bites from legal size snaps or better. Hooks are the most likely suspect and may need to be sharpened, also make sure the point and barb are well clear of the bait. Only other thing it may be is the rod may be too stiff.

There is no best rig, more dependant on what sort of ground you are fishing, the more likely to be snagged the less gear I use and try to get down to only a hook tied to the mainline if I can.

webby
08-02-2007, 06:44 AM
If targeting Grassies try dropping down a hook size to a 3 or 2, as they havent got the biggest mouth in the world, and just use a free running sinker as little weight as possible straight to the hook.
If casting wide of the boat use a longer 7-8 ft 2-4 or 4-6 kg rod and if fishing closer to the boat use a shorter rod in the same weight catergory.
Small bottle squid, prawns or soilder crabs.
regards

Jeremy
08-02-2007, 07:06 AM
those mustad 4200D hooks are not up to the job. They are soft hooks for ganging for tailor. They will be straightened by a good fish and you will lose it. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself on a good fish :'(

Better shot is something like the mustad big red suecide pattern which is chemically sharpened.

Jeremy

castlemaine
08-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Guys
Thanks a million for the sound advise, I'll give a shot. All the literature lately seems to be about soft plastics, so your views are invaluable. Not much talk about terminal tackle. Was amazed, Webby, at your talk (Southside Toyota) you only use 2/0's for parrot but it makes sense. Thanks again all, Cheers.