PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Mackay???

madman1
06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi all

I am thinking of heading up that way for a sea change.

I need to know where the best places to live are, the good fishing spots are and all of the rest.

All additional relevant information would be great.

Cheers

Mark

tigermullet
06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Eimeo Beach is by far the best. Bucasia as second choice. Blacks beach would be third. But remember that Mackay has only two seasons, Hot and HOT. (apologies to the movie Good Morning Vietnam)

I didn't mind Slades Point either but Hays Point was a real disappointment.

The so called winter season can be off putting - it seems to blow 25kts from the southeast for months on end. Can get very lumpy off Mackay - a strong boat is required.

krazyfisher
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM
mark
the best spot to live is mackay
good fishing spots? well um there may be some.
send me a pm with what you want to know and I will see if I can help

Barraless
06-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Go west mate! Moranbah, 2 hours west of Mackay.

I have heard Slades Point is a good place to buy (not too expensive yet). If your thinking about renting in Mackay good luck I have heard there is a bit of a waiting list.

madman1
07-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Rents are the killer and I'm not too sure about buying in a place that is mainly dependant on th resources boom. I up that way on the weekend to check it out and make my decisioon then.

I have a lot of running around to do by checking out schools, boat ramps and local pubs.

Maybe we should catch up!!

Let me know.

Cheers

Mark

Barraless
07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Resources boom, Should try the rent at Moranbah its $680 per week for a very basic three bedroom miners house surronded by weeds.

mitch qld
07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Mate,

Plenty of good fishing spots up here around Mackay. Reef, Estuary, dams, you name it. Send us a pm if your keen for some further info.

P.S: I'm not the most informed person on the subject but there is a definite waiting list for houses around our area. Hope all goes well for you, let us know how you go!

Cheers, Mitch.

alby-mac
08-02-2007, 01:35 AM
came here 15 yrs ago for a look. still here. work - plenty. rent - ridiculous. fishin crabbin - great. see ya when ya get here

frenzy
09-02-2007, 05:53 PM
just moved back from mackay(2 years) to gold coast,
i was spoilt fishing up there ,made heaps of money ,caught heaps of fish,still wondering why i moved back.
If you can find a place to rent you will love it.
P.s got a house for sale up there if you are looking to buy.

BobbyJ123
09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
G'day mate. Most of the Mackay area is good but, as has been said, some of the rentals are steep. I retired to Ball Bay, 50 km north of the city and quite a few of the locals commute to work (40 minute drive)
Plenty of great fishing, from barra to trevally and coral trout etc.
www.fishingonline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay.htm (http://www.fishingonline.com.au/Queensland/Mackay.htm)

House prices are roughly in the $350,000-$400,000 range.
Average day temps are: summer 28-34C and winter: 16-25c
If you need any more info, PM me,hey?

Dunks
10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Do it Madman. Lived there for first 21 years of my life, at Slade Point. Would definately move back if my wife would. Prices have gone through the roof there recently.

mhdbl
11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Madman
I live in Sarina which is 30km south from Mackay. Mackay's house prices are high due to the boom happening at the moment. I brought 6 acres with house and sheds two years ago in Sarina for 350.000. House now worth 500 000 plus. If you are looking to rent there is a long waiting list most motels are booked out with people waiting to rent. Some of the outlaying towns are still good places to buy but are increasing slowly as people are willing to drive to get to work.
If you like fishing all the area is great to fish, If you have a reliable boat you can go to the nearest islands and catch a feed. On good days I go to St Bees which is about 12 ks offshore I have a 4.5half cab. the creeks are good for crabs and prawns. I left Mackay in 1996 and as I drove out I vowed to come back. I am lucky to get a job that has allowed me to do that and now I am here in the area i am not going again.
There are good schools around for the rug rats.
Hop onto google and type in realestate and have a look but better if you can come up for a few weeks holiday and really look around.

Good luck
Mark

madman1
12-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I have taken the plunge and will be there in a few weeks.

Hopefully we can catch up for a brew or two!

Cheers again

Mark