PDA

View Full Version : trailer styles

lippa
05-02-2007, 10:12 PM
i am toying with the idea of building a new boat atm, but one thing(the trailer) has got me puzzeled.

your typical dual axle trailer is prodominatly rhs with either skids or rollers or a combination of both.

i have seen but only a few trailers that have 8-10 inch wheels and tyres in place of the rollers/skids.
i have drivin a boat onto the trailer with the wheel setup, it was so simple!!
low maintanace, seemed a great idea.

but don't you see many around???? whats the cons????

the next thing, why don't you see alot of trailers with an I-beam chasis rather than your normal rhs????. water will simple flow off the I-beam and cant get trapped any where.

again whats the cons??

boat will be a plate alloy

cheers for ya input

lippa

Owen
05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
the next thing, why don't you see alot of trailers with an I-beam chasis rather than your normal rhs????. water will simple flow off the I-beam and cant get trapped any where.

again whats the cons??

The cons are weight & cost.
Without getting out my books I'd hazard that the weight of an "I" beam of equivilent torsional strength to the typical 75x50x2-3 RHS frame would be significantly higher and thus more expensive.

It would also be slightly harder to hang rollers, spring hangers etc off.

shubeej
05-02-2007, 11:51 PM
hey lippa , go down to mr t @ capalaba & you will see that trailcraft are on a universal beam ( i beam ) contructed trailer ,might be able get some ideas & most of the aluminium trailers are contructed of aluminium i beam .
shubeej

withoutatrace
06-02-2007, 06:07 AM
I have just ordered a trailer from Belco Trailers at Brendale.

It's a parallel chanel with skids.
Eliminates over 200 rust points
Give them a call if you want a custom trailer.
Cheers
WOAT

finga
06-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Those trailco trailers are nice.
I always wondered the same about trailers Lippa. Why have a hollow section?? It's gotta rust eventually seeing you can't get in and wash.

Marlin_Mike
06-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Gotta agree with shubeej, those Trailcraft trailers are great, I beam easy to clean, eliminates hundreds of rust points.

Mike

Roughasguts
06-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Yep I have to agree. Me old mans boat and trailer is 44 years old the trailer built by Gordon Tregoning, it is I beam, construction and Galvanised It Has NO rust on it.

And as far as I know we have never washed it, I know I haven't.

Matt_F
06-02-2007, 09:09 AM
And as far as I know we have never washed it, I know I haven't.

Your name is very fitting RAG.:D

Roughasguts
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
True you should see some of me bodgy work. But you know it never hurt the Treg Trailer.

But my Mackay, on the other hand is washed and it's rusting, at 12 years old.

Maybe Rough is good.

Nah I think it's the quality of the old stuff.

You can get polly trailers, but whats the point when the bolts, springs, axles and wheels are the first to rust anyway.

Them bits ain't placcy.

steveg1100
06-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I have only seen those wheels used as rollers on hydrofield boats lends itself well to their hull shape.

madmackrel
07-02-2007, 07:03 PM
;D Gday Lippa, mate do ya self a favour build an ally one. knocked this up seven years ago its t6 bullbar channel, no problems.

Cheers MM

Brumby
07-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Nice looking piece of kit, madmackrel. Now if I could weld ally.....

Feral
07-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Channel makes good trailers, but you have to re-inforce it everywhere you want it to take weight (fillet in the channel)it can go lighter than rhs, because of the sectional area bias height V width (higher ratio's available than RHS). Father had one with about 100mm height from memory, have some photo's somewhere, I'll post a few shortly

Feral
07-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Here are the first lot.
Interestingly enough the channel in the cross bracing tapers towards the centre to give more "V"

Feral
07-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Last couple - got a whole heap of photo's (46) including close ups because I was going to build a trailer a while ago and was also considering channel (went with RHS, because I got it for the right price, new metal was over $300 just for the steel for the frame!)

So if you do decide to go channel, and want to see bigger / more photo's just pm me somewhere I can send them! (also some sketches with the trailer dimensions, metal sizes, axle locations, cross member locations etc - but this particular one would be to small for you)

cheers

shonky1
07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I just built this one, its heavy but it will last. This is the Mark 3 and I think I have it right. Its made of RHS but has drain holes in every section, NO wobbly rollers to fall off and shafts to damage the hull. You can drive it on from any angle and it goes EXACTLY where it should. I do a lot of dirt roads.

Greg P
07-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Shane

I was looking at the pic taken from the front thinking she sure is dirty but it's the reflection of the road ::)::)8-)

Yamba certainly have changed the old Sportfish hull - what deadrise is that ? Nice trailer btw.

Cheers

Greg

shonky1
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Not quite sure what degree it is but its a lot, cuts through the slop real well. Its their latest design - first off the production line. I am very happy with it

mickc
08-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Shane

What's the material that you used on the trailer skids & if you don't mind what cost.

Thanks Mick

shonky1
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Its called Matrox, they use it to line ball mills in the Mining Industry. To do the whole trailer it cost $600, its very slippery and wears better than teflon. I used approx. 16 m @ 50x20mm, 4 m @ 200x20mm.

lippa
08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
cheers for your offers and advice!!

the only trailer manufacturer i cn think of that thinks around the square is belco.
i'll now have a yarn to them and see what they reccon

ally C channel or I beam seems to be the go. jury's still out on the tyres for rollers

are there other trailer manufacturers that will do custom work???

cheers

lippa