PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 20hr Service

leezor
05-02-2007, 09:11 PM
For those that are interested, I Just had the first service carried out on my Suzuki DF225 4 Stroke at a cost of $265.75 The break down was as follows:

Oil Filter - $31.15
8.2lt Engine Oil - $56.60
Gear oil & w/shop supplies - $20.00
Labour - $158.00

Check list was as follows:

Change engine oil
Change engine filter
Change gear oil
Inspect spark plugs
Inspect low pressure fuel filter - if applicable
Inspect onboard fuel filter - if applicable
Check for water contamination (Am guessing they mean fuel)
Inspect water pump impellor
Inspect anodes and bonding wires
Inspect battery - if applicable
Remove and check propellor
Grease prop shaft
Check prop nut and pin
Check fuel line and breather
Check tightness of bolts & nuts
Check engine idle speedHas anyone had any major differences in price for a similar service?

Cheers,

Lee

blaze
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I reckon his hourly rate must be in excess of $200 an hour
Inspect water pump impellor
Inspect anodes and bonding wires
Inspect battery - if applicable
Remove and check propellor
Grease prop shaft
Check prop nut and pin
These few bits here are about 15 minutes work thats if they acually took the box of to check the pump and not just look at the water coming outa the tell tale.
Might have to move to queensland and specialize
cheers
blaze

Roughasguts
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Leezor can you tell if the leg has been dropped, burred bolt heads, bit of paint missing.

Or did he just let the tell tail flow in to a measuring jug and time how much water got pumped through, at a set RPM.

Ummm Thats what I do with mine.

Greg P
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Zuke first 20hr service also includes head re-tension and valve clearance checks IIRC. The leg was dropped to inspect the water pump too.

Seems about right from what I paid for my DF140 first service. Like all equipment - the money is made in the aftermarket services not the capital sale.

Cheers

Greg

blu
05-02-2007, 10:01 PM
im with you blaze

leezor
06-02-2007, 06:49 AM
The dealer made special mention that the leg is to be removed every service not only to check the impellor but to ensure easy removal of the bolts for future services.
He also mentioned that they drop the leg to remove any salt build up around the carrier bearing which has been known to cause cracked housings in some of the earlier Yammies. (I think he said carrier bearing??)

Lee

Roughasguts
06-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Hmmm I thought carrier bearings, where behind the prop, (gear box) and yes getting those two bolts out, and the retainer that holds the bearings is a pain in the Arse.

But that fairly resonable then if he did all the work.
So are these cracks if they eventuate covered by warranty???

leezor
06-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Dunno RAG, didn't go into details about it sorry.

timddo
06-02-2007, 08:51 AM
i got a quote from stone corner marine + bayside for 100 hr service on f60 yammy and it was $400 plus parts???????????. Anyone know a good yammie service center that only charges $158 for labour + parts

Shanoss
06-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Lee, are all your guages working properly now? I dont suppose you have had a chance to test them with the weather we have been having. Curious to know what was said about how they were fixed.

davo
06-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Mate Yatala Yamaha don't charge anywhere near that much. My 60HP 4stroke Yammy costs about $280 for a 100Hr service

Smithy
06-02-2007, 11:33 AM
One advantage of country living! I'll give you that these are '03 prices but if they put labour up by say $5 an hour every 6months and were now $90 an hour or so the final bill is miles better than being quoted $400 services on 60s and the like.

scorpionNQ
06-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey Leezor, I just picked up my Cruisecraft/200 suzy t/s from( I think) the same dealer as you( thought I saw the nose of your boat sticking out of the w'shop) for a partial service, mainly to remove, strip and clean carby's. at the cost of $321.00. Although, out of that they hit me for $95 for a ryco fuel filter, which I thought was a bit rich. As far as I can tell, they didn't do half the things in your full service. IMO your price wasn't to bad. Older engines aren't that cheap either.
Cheers
Lee

Roughasguts
06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey Leezor, I just picked up my Cruisecraft/200 suzy t/s from( I think) the same dealer as you( thought I saw the nose of your boat sticking out of the w'shop) for a partial service, mainly to remove, strip and clean carby's. at the cost of $321.00. Although, out of that they hit me for $95 for a ryco fuel filter, which I thought was a bit rich. As far as I can tell, they didn't do half the things in your full service. IMO your price wasn't to bad. Older engines aren't that cheap either.
Cheers
Lee

Ryco or do you mean Racor ?? fuel water seperator filter, yes there way to exspensive. After all you can buy the hole unit head and base for a little more than that.

I 'm thinking of going to super cheap they have something similar with water fuel seperator but the filter is under 15 bucks.

Don't think it's got a clear bowl though, and will have to check out the quality, you don't wan't to stuff around with rubish in the wide blue.

whiteman
06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
My 6hp Suzuki 4s cost $190 for the 20 hour service. It will not be going back.

leezor
06-02-2007, 05:46 PM
ScorpionNQ, ha funny thing happened when I picked mine up last Friday, the guy behind the counter handed me an invoice for $321 beeing for a Service and carby clean etc. I said, hmmm unless you have replaced my EFI for carbies this aint mine.
Anyway, he got confused because we share first names and after all it was Friday :)
Did they replace just the Racor filter or fit the complete assembly?

Overall have been really happy with Leo's service, it's nice to walk in there and be able to have a normal conversation with the guys that work there.

Shanoss, all gauges have been hooked up correctly now apparantly. Only thing I could test was the fuel gauge which now has a reading atleast which was better than it was

scorpionNQ
07-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey Lee, you would not have had any complaints from me if you had paid my bill by mistake lol.. they just replaced the racor( thanks Roughas) filter. I bought a filter last year from bias boating, and it was about $64.....$30 is a huge difference. Got a qoute of $23, 995 for a new Suzy 200, fitted, s/s prop and water tested. Trade in price for my mid 90's 200 t/s with only 160hrs is $3000. It runs exellent, the only downer is that being a carburretted V6 is the fuel bill, where it might cost you $80 to go to the reef, mine would be $180/$200. As I own my rig, it's not a huge problem, as I would not spend $21K to make savings on fuel. I would like to start using a bit more, and go out wider, then there's a good posibility I would update.
Cheers

JEWIENEWIE
07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Just got my 30hp merc first service done, cost me around $140.
Jewie

whiteman
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Got a qoute of $23, 995 for a new Suzy 200, fitted, s/s prop and water tested. Trade in price for my mid 90's 200 t/s with only 160hrs is $3000. It runs exellent, the only downer is that being a carburretted V6 is the fuel bill, where it might cost you $80 to go to the reef, mine would be $180/$200. As I own my rig, it's not a huge problem, as I would not spend $21K to make savings on fuel. I would like to start using a bit more, and go out wider, then there's a good posibility I would update.
Cheers
That means you have $21k of free fuel to play with which would probably get you 21,000kms of boating which works out at about 40 years of operation at your current level. Plenty of guys justify swapping to a 4s on less usage! Go figure.

leezor
07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
That means you have $21k of free fuel to play with which would probably get you 21,000kms of boating which works out at about 40 years of operation at your current level. Plenty of guys justify swapping to a 4s on less usage! Go figure.

Or if your like me, have nothing better to spend $25k on :'(

Kiktz
07-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Lee, you would not have had any complaints from me if you had paid my bill by mistake lol.. they just replaced the racor( thanks Roughas) filter. I bought a filter last year from bias boating, and it was about $64.....$30 is a huge difference. Got a qoute of $23, 995 for a new Suzy 200, fitted, s/s prop and water tested. Trade in price for my mid 90's 200 t/s with only 160hrs is $3000. It runs exellent, the only downer is that being a carburretted V6 is the fuel bill, where it might cost you $80 to go to the reef, mine would be $180/$200. As I own my rig, it's not a huge problem, as I would not spend $21K to make savings on fuel. I would like to start using a bit more, and go out wider, then there's a good posibility I would update.
Cheers

Mate,

Unfortunatly I was in the same position as yourself.
Our 200hp Merc Died, so we upgraded to a Suzi 175.
Fuel bill now I think is about 40% of what the 200hp 2str was to run.
Range now is not a problem, carry extra fuel on board just in case is not happening. Chrissy just has our 20hr service done and up to mid 30's now.
On Avg we are using around 9ltr's / hr.
The best thing is that if she gets a lil choppy out, not looking at really chewing the juice on the way home.

AJ

leezor
07-02-2007, 07:47 PM
AJ, sure is nice not to have to carry additional fuel in jerry cans. Not only has my range has increased by around 40% but I now feel confident that i'm going to get home ok.
Yes, the fuel economy was a factor when I decided to buy the Suzi, but safety was the biggest reason.

Lee

Kiktz
07-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Couldn't agree with you more Lee, Especially when the old donk broke down
right at the mouth of the seaway.

Thus far 30 hrs (first 10 being nice, 20 not nice at all) we have used
249 ltrs. We carry 200ltrs in our tank. I knew is was going to be good
But HELL this good.:D:D

Aj

Bloody Hell Got the Missus over meh shoulder fixing all my mis-spelling.
( Or Spelling Mistakes as I have just been told)

<<< Makes a mental, dont let wife near me when typing, Just passes english at
school. She just doesn't understand. Well have to restrict posting in work hours

zulu
08-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Just had 10 hour service for Yamaha 200 4 stroke

Minor Service $240
Gear Oil $24
Motor Oil $35
Oil Filter $41
Gasket $5

Total $345

Not Happy

alba
09-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Not long had my new 150 suzi 4 stroke serviced at springwood marine, Cost a bit more than that, around $300 mark.
Alba

MyEscape
10-02-2007, 05:20 AM
It actually doesn't sound like there are too many who are happy with the price of servicing.

Whilst it is just my opinion, perhaps we when we are negotiating the purchase of a motor or boat package should be asking the questons then at that time. Everyone is talking fuel consumption 4stroke versus 2stroke E-tec etc when we buy the motors.

Perhaps we should be asking the questions about the first service, 50 hours, yearly etc. These questions, or more likely, the answers may affect the outcome of the purchase, which motor etc.

I assume that most people get at least their first service done by the dealer who sold them the motor. The cost of the first service and one thereafter must be a reasonable question before you decide.

Steve

Hamish73
10-02-2007, 06:19 AM
I've only just got into boats, and have been riding trailbikes for a while and the siuatuion is similar in the fact that over the last 8 year the guard has changed from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. I do all my own bike servicing, including full engine rebuilds. It's not rocket science!. Valve clearance checks are simple, and depending on the head design (adjustable rockers or shim buckets) adjusting them isnt too hard either. From what I can gather you change the oils, drop the gearbox and check the waterpump and remove the prop and the service is done.
I think this is what you guys need to do if you are not happy paying the labour rates.
I'm sure it'll void your warranty, but I'm pretty sure be well in front at the end of the day, especially if you do a lot of hours

leezor
10-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Good point Steve, servicing is one of the things I have never paid for in the past as I do all the work myself. But, as this is my first new engine there is little choice but to have the scheduled servicing done as not to void the warranty.
Thinking back, I reckon the dealer would have thrown in the first service just to seal the deal, so that is something people may consider.

I asked the dealer the question about doing the servicing myself, though the dealer was a little vague he mentioned that I could do any oil changes but it still had to be brought in each year for a checkover. So I guess that means they have you by the short and curleys either way.