PDA

View Full Version : help... charter fishing/fishing rod

davec84
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
firstly being new to this forum im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

a mates birthday is coming up and im thinking about going on a charter fishing trip but being new to this whole fishing scene i dont know too much
is there a season that i should avoid? we live in sydney can anyone recomend a good charter near sydney?
also if thats no good he wanted a fishing rod being a noob im not too sure what the rod is called but its the short one really thick with a huge reel used for the sea and he was talking about using live bait(yellow tail) on it to catch big fish in the sea.
ive seen heaps but not too sure what is better then the other besides the price... what should i look at to determine whether it is a good rod or not?
sorry about the vague info...
thanks heaps guys

blu
05-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi davec84 im in QLD so 4 the charter?????
for the rod each to there own but here goes something about 6 foot long 10-15 or 15-20 Kg mark and a overhead reel that holds 3 hundred mts of 40-50 Lb line....
Some other good people in Aushfish land would prob have a different answer but this (I feel) is a place for you to start..or better still go into a good tackle store and tell the guys or girls there what you have told us and see what they say...

snelly1971
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi Dave....i have brought 10 new rods. for my charter business i hope to be starting soon.....i agree with Blu ...15-24 kg rod 6foot 6inch ....i run 300m 80lb braid.....

ps....cheap but very reliable rees...penn 114h...or 113...they just seem to never wear out...cheers Mick

finga
07-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Yep, agree with the others.
I've just been and got a Shimano TLD 20 and a 25 with another to be picked up yet.
Pretty well bullet proof as well and hold the required amount of line
One rod for them is a 6' 15-24kg Penn Senator and a 7' 14-40lb Daiwa Grandwave graphite.

I'd be doing some charters first though just so you know from experience what you need gear wise.

davec84
10-02-2007, 12:35 AM
cheers for that guys thats heaps good
snelly you starting a charter business? awesome
where abouts r u located?