PDA

View Full Version : Engine flushing, 4 stroke 200 Yamaha ??

CROOZY
05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi all,
I have a 200 4 stroke Yamaha 2003, It has a mid-line hose plug in capability to flush the engine after use, as I expect a lot of modern motors have. When I use this method water comes out of all the right places but seems to be very warm on exiting the engine ( tell-tail and exhaust).
So I went back to using your off the shelf 'Muffs' However due to the positioning of the leg intake ports (not a flat surface) I can not get a good seal and I have to physically push the muffs tight against the leg to get even an aveage seal. The manual does imply that both methods can be used.
My dealer says to use the muffs but says there are no muffs on the market that will do a better job apart from the $10 ones that are redilly avalible.
Soooo' my question is "What the Hell does everybody else do with this type and size of motor to flush the sucker out"?

Cheers Phil

blu
05-02-2007, 05:56 PM
there is (in my opinion) no better way to flush an outboard than in some sort of "bucket" i use a cut down plastic 44 myself.. A m8 has success with his 200 using one of the one's (forgot'n the name) someone might enlighten us both when thay r filled up thay rise like a kiddies pool

Alchemy
05-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Croozy,

I've got a flush bag to suit a motor that size, as new. If you want it let me know. Can't remember what I paid for it, but will soon work out a reasonable price if you're interested.

Regards,
Dave.

Kendall249
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Don't know about 200 4stk, though flushing a 150 using a set of rectangle muffs (4x2in) found that tell tale pressure was low and temp abit high. mechanic recommended using a smaller set, now using a circular shaped about 3in diameter and now tell tale pressure and temp is good. I guess a flushing bag or drum would be better, as mentioned above.

newchum
05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
guys i have a yamy 200 2stroke and use the hose connection on the motor to flush mine, but i was under the assumption that you didn't have to run the motor when using this method. have i been missled? i would like to find flushing bag big enough, i tried a 44gal drum but the gearbox is to long and will not fit in

troben
05-02-2007, 08:26 PM
sorry i have been a watcher not someone who has posted before but i work for a yamaha dealer and that flush hose on your outboard is meant for use when the motor is not running if you want to run the motor to flush it the small round flush muffs are the best .
cheers
troben

troben
05-02-2007, 08:27 PM
damage can be done running the motor while flushing through the hose connection

Dr DRIFT
05-02-2007, 08:33 PM
How can the tell tail be squirting out warm water...? When using the yamaha flush system, it is supposed to be with the motor off.... Also it is a reverse flush system, so the motor doesnt need to be running... My dad had a 250 saltwater seriess2 and had done over 500hrs and never had a problem, now with my F150 4stroke, I have just hit 300hrs and she is running like the day I bought her....Some people say they dont like using the yamaha flush system, because without motor running the thermostate will not open, but they forget that the system design by yamaha, is a reverse flush(thermostat doesnt need to open).....I was told by mechanics and from my experience it does the job and my father,me and people that I know, have all used this system and it has never had any problems...my 2cents

CROOZY
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks Lads,
Everyone is correct the engine is not to be run while using in line system, lucky for me i only did this once for a minute or two. a large drum seems the way to go.
Thanks for your help. Cheers Phil

moreton
08-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Yamaha have designed this engine 200 / 4 stroke to be flushed by the middle hose, you talk about. Running the motor while flushing is not recomended by them
Cheers Moreton

Craigo
08-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Go the flush bag, they are great and take up no room when not in use.

I connect the hose fitting to my pressure washer it after flushing the motor and use it to clean the boat/trailer when finished.

Great with the water restrictions, only hasle is filling it with a bucket, alyhough I usually pay the kids a couple of bucks to do that

Cheers

andrew&lucy
08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
croozy ive had a hpdi and two 4stroke lve feeded water in both sides of the leg motor runing and undo water point until hot water comes out as saltwater sits in it.(you have to buy 2 set of muffs)

Mr__Bean
09-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Absolute best way to flush a large outboard with ear muffs is to make yourself a set of dual muffs.

Got me stuffed why they don't sell these, you need to make it from 2 sets of muffs and some bits and pieces from your hardware shop and then you have got it.

Single hose muffs just don't get enough water in through the very fine grill that covers the water inlets.

If you do want to use a hose, and some times you have to, then put yourself one of these together.

- Darren