PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for beach overhead set up

eddyfish
05-02-2007, 06:57 AM
G'day all i want to build a rock beach rod suitable for casting with an over head real as i've noticed blokes who use this method seem to get longer more acurate casts.any ideas on what type and length blank to use also what type of reel . any help would be appreciated. Ive heard that much different opinion starten to get a little confused.eddy

Nog
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Cheapest way to go for starters is get a Snyderglas FSU4120 or 5120 overhead rod. We used to put an extension on them in the "old" days fishing the 90 mile beach in Victoria. If you are rock fishing I wouldn't bother. Matched to an old Abu 7000 and you can throw a 65g Raider a country mile.

kingtin
05-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Mate. I use European beach rods married to ambassadeur 7000's. When I frst came to Oz, I couldn't find blanks in Qld to match 'em (for chucking heavier weights) but I eventually found out that I didn't need 4ozs of lead from the shore so I got a rod made with a 9 wrap.

I took a drawing of my specifications copied (from the UK rod) into A fart and they got a Wilson made up for me and pretty cheap it was too. If you're using an overhead, then for proficient casting, your reel housing needs to be higher up the butt than any rods I could find over here and the spacing of your rod eyes needs attention.

I don't know where you are but if you're having trouble getting ideas, you can pm me when you've got enough posts and I can send you specifications. NSW or SA members may be better able to help as I've been told that rods built to overhead specs are available down there.

kev