PDA

View Full Version : Togas on hard lures

Jeremy87
04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I've caught a fair few saratoga on spinnerbaits and softies but never on hardbodies or poppers. I'm Heading up to borumba tuesday/wednesday and i'm keen to snare a couple on a popper. I've grabbed a tim morgan bream popper in orange stripe/black top with the idea being to mimic a bee and taken the shitty treble off and put on a chemically sharp single instead.
Would be interested in anyone's comments or suggestions?

davo
05-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Any wriggley diver or walking popper like those Kokoda Cicadas. My wife got a 70cm fish from Borumba last time on these and up at Cania the old rapala fat raps wound slowly across the surface were outstanding. The best part about using a diver is that if the toga dives you just wind the lure down and let it float up and lot of the time the toga follow.

warrior
05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
jeremy any of the tango dancer type lures are good too there is a few different brands,i use rivertoseaand owner styles in 75mm,best so far is one from macdonald that went 750mm ,good luck,was there at borumba yesterday and was very quiet got two toga from a lot of casts between three men,both on spinnerbaits.

roydsy
06-02-2007, 12:20 PM
My last trip to borumba (xmas) caught a nice 73cm Toga on Jackall TN60 (no rattle white with orange stripes). Also, plenty of visits prior to that the most successfull hard bodied lure was the nilsmaster spearhead, grey with red stripes and black with red dots.

enjoy your trip

sooty_mad
07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Jeremy

A friend of mine chased Toga extensively up in the billabongs near Darwin and he found the most successful lure was the old "Wonder Wobbler". He always said it was their sudden sideways darting action that seemed to attract Toga.

I noticed that another lure in my extended arsenal tends to have this erratic sideways flick when retrieved so I tried it out at Hinze in a known Toga spot. The result was a hookup in the first 10 metres of trolling. Since then I have taken numerous Toga all on the same lure.

The lure in question is the Smiling Jacks Raw Prawn (pink) in either of the two small sizes. I have attached a picture for your information however you will find that these are available at most stores and sell for only about $5.

Give them a go, I think you will be surprised. The trick is to retrieve them at a speed that makes them dart sideways every now and then

Kind regards... David

Jeremy87
07-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, see reports sections for the results.

Bassjunky
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Was at borumba over xmas. I caught around 13 togas biggest going 85cm, all of them on buzz baits from the states. I believe bassman are now making them. I had poor hook up rates at first but put a trailing hook on but facing downwards, It certainly helped it. Nothing better than a toga from the surface. I,ll try and post some pics.
cheers
:)