PDA

View Full Version : Bay outfit

fishphile
04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey Ausfishers,

I'm looking to buy a good outfit for the bay that I can use for bottom bouncing baits and SPs but also cast large poppers and slugs on.
I really have no idea where to start as I'm a land based fisho but I hope to get some trips out fairly soon. Probably looking at spending around $200 -$250. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers Dave.

jm82
04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
i have a custom built gary howard 10kg rod that may interest u .got it built for casting 40gram plus slugs or big plastics out wide and poppers. its based on a samuari blank .

fishphile
04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Are you selling jm82? Send us a pic and a price mate.

Cheers Dave.

Jeremy
05-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey Ausfishers,

I'm looking to buy a good outfit for the bay that I can use for bottom bouncing baits and SPs but also cast large poppers and slugs on.
I really have no idea where to start as I'm a land based fisho but I hope to get some trips out fairly soon. Probably looking at spending around $200 -$250. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers Dave.

I don't think you will find a single outfit that will cover all those bases. I just don't think you will find a rod that can effectively cast both bulky and heavy poppers, as well as small SPs and small tuna slugs. The jig head on SPs used around the bay islands is commonly 1/4 oz, and for tuna you usually have to use a 10-20 g slug. Guess it depends what you mean by 'large' poppers?

Jeremy

Scalem
05-02-2007, 07:05 AM
One of the things I found is common with buying gear for fishing the bay - many people go too heavy with the rod department where you may as well have got the broom out of the cupboard and put guides on it, and use that as a rod. When talking SP's, the rod needs to have plenty of "working curve" to not only keep the pressure on the fish, but absorb a lot of the shock from when the fish trys to shake the hook free. If you don't have enough "give", you are more likely to straighten hooks, lose fish, snap your leader which must be light (8 to 12 lb) When using braid, these points are even more important. The same rod, provided you have some grunt in the butt, can be used on the pelagics with small slugs, you just have to upgrade your leader and be prepared to wait a bit longer.

Scalem

fishphile
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm more interested in the bottom bouncing, SP side of things really. I already have a 10kg overhead outfit but was more interested in a threadline. I really have no idea what you guys use to get snapper and the likes. I just like to have a few ideas before I walk into the tacklestore.

Cheers Dave.

yellahunter
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
perhaps a 2500 shimano reel and a raider rod to suit,

or you could go to a 4000 series if you are thinking a 2500 is a bit small

NeMo84
06-02-2007, 08:50 AM
if ur looking to spend 250 bucks id get either a daiwa exceler or shimano symetre and match it up to something in the way of one of the starlo stix or pflueger trion rods, the exceler is great value for money in my opinion.

yellahunter
06-02-2007, 09:10 AM
yup go a 2500 symetre and a 7.0 starlo stix (soft plastic one)

Marlin_Mike
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I have a Penn Powerstick, with a Penn Captiva 4000 reel. Run 12lb mono on it.

Works a treat for snapper, sweetlip and most fishing in the bay. $99 from that mart we arent supposed to mention.

Mike

trueblue
06-02-2007, 10:52 AM
I just bought a Black Tiger Ugly Stick 6 - 10 kg spin rod, 6'6" long. Heaps of power in the butt, and at the same time really soft with an easy bend throughout the rod and a super soft tip.

I haven't used it yet, but I reckon its going to be great for slugs up to 40 grams for mackeral and tuna etc. It is so soft though, that SP's should be fine as well. I'll be testing it out this weekend...

Cheers

fishphile
06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Cheers Guys, Will be buying tomorrow and now I've got plenty of ideas.

Cheers Dave