PDA

View Full Version : Close call with Stonefish

Redspeckle
03-02-2007, 06:12 PM
This from the Courier Mail

A FAMILY holiday for Channel 9 newsreader Heather Foord turned into a
near thing when her daughter Riley stepped on a deadly stonefish.
Riley, 12, stood on the fish when in only a few centimetres of water in the Mooloolaba River on the Sunshine Coast.
She felt a sharp pain and Foord at first thought Riley had stepped on a sharp shell but the situation changed rapidly.
Foord said yesterday it took just moments for what appeared to be a bruise to start spreading around the tiny wound.
"She was in so much pain so quickly it was amazing. The poison seemed to spread about an inch (2cm) a minute," she said. "It was then we realised it wasn't just a cut."
An ambulance was called and Riley was taken to Caloundra Hospital where the stonefish diagnosis was made and she was given morphine and anti-inflammatories.
"Apparently, the best treatment is water as hot as you can stand. It helps break down the protein in the poison," Foord said.
But Riley recovered so quickly she insisted on going to a family dinner that evening.
Queensland Museum fish collection manager Jeff Johnson said yesterday Riley would have almost certainly stood on an estuary stonefish.
Of the two species found in Australian waters, estuary stonefish were far more common than reef stonefish.
Stonefish are common over much of Queensland, particularly Moreton Bay.
"In fact, if you were trying to locate them, Moreton Bay would be the easiest place to find them," Mr Johnson said.
Although no figures were available, it was not unusual for people to be stung.
"It happens from time to time, although the more common stings are from the bullrout species of scorpion fish.
"They are called freshwater stonefish and are usually found in upper reaches of rivers in brackish water such as at College's Crossing at Karana Downs and the Pine River."
Mr Johnson said the sting had no long-term effects but how people handled it depended on their age and health.

Mitch:o

tunaman
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I hope all is well. Theres one thing about Australia I learnt from a young boy.
That is, everything on land or water will sting you, or bite you, and god fore bid, kill you. I hope the young lass is ok.

All the best from T.M

Corry
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Seen a home video once of a bloke standing on a Stone Fish. Turned him into a screaming heap real quick. Guess this is one of those things that you would prefer not to encounter.
Wonder if a good pair of shoes would stop the spike from coming through.

Corry

seatime
03-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Good advise for fish stings (stingrays, catfish, stonefish) apply hot water.
For bluebottles, irukandji , apply ice packs.
For box jellyfish, vinegar if you have it, and don't let patient move anywhere.
Blue-ring octopus, cone shells, pressure immobilisation bandage.

robersl
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
there was an inrersting story on last monday night on steve rwins last doco it had them milking stone fish and water snake ect was very good

shane

charleville
04-02-2007, 10:18 AM
This from the Courier Mail
Queensland Museum fish collection manager Jeff Johnson said yesterday Riley would have almost certainly stood on an estuary stonefish.
Of the two species found in Australian waters, estuary stonefish were far more common than reef stonefish.
Stonefish are common over much of Queensland, particularly Moreton Bay.
"In fact, if you were trying to locate them, Moreton Bay would be the easiest place to find them," Mr Johnson said.

I read on the internet that the reef stonefish is teh most venonmous fish on the planet. It did not say how venonomous the estuary stonefish is by comparison.

The pictures below shows the estuary stonefish that I caught a few weeks ago drifting across the Harry Atkinson Reef. Look in the mouth and you will see the hook - BUT you are seeking just one hook of a three hook gang. That fish sure took down that pilchard in one gulp!

Stuart
04-02-2007, 11:21 AM
I stood on one of these things years ago while overseas. Turned me into a screaming, babbling heap in a matter of 4 minutes. Spent the night in hospital under observation and was released the next afternoon. I also spent the next week with my foot in the air to stop blood rushing down my leg. It could have been worse if the hospital wasn’t at the end of the road. Until you get hit by one of these things you can never imagine the pain. I have also been stung my a red rock cod, “Gurnard”, poor mans lobster. These things pail into insignificants.

Stu

roz
04-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Divers were doing some work on the hull of a boat moored at the 1770 marina.

They said there were dozens and dozen of them everywhere, and not only around the rocks, they said there were many on the sand.

I'll be a lot more carefull now, I only thought they lived in and around the rocky bottom of inlets, not on the sand.

r.

land-lubber
04-02-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah, thre seems to be a few around 1770 roz, i got a big 1 on a plastic at the m&g. fight like a wet sack of spuds. Honestly tho, who would be swimming in the river when theres a great patrolled beach with calmish water right near it? accident waitng to happen. theres some nasty oysters and stuff in that river to boot

rick k
05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
yep, very careful in quiet water near ramps and rock walls now.

apparently the spines go through a volley, dunno about those high tech joggers.

Brett1907
05-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I remeber when I was a kid there was a big media thing about them. Stories of people dying, they were trying to warn people of the dangers. Haven't heard much about them since. Although I know thwy are definately there as have seen some while diving.

Wonder if they'll include a photo of one in the new adds for Queensland Tourism?

Brett