PDA

View Full Version : Tuskies, Sweetlippers and Mack Tuna

Snodger Sniper
03-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Greetings fellow ausfishers,

With the conditions looking near perfect during the week, I just had to have a holiday on Wednesday; what turned out to be an awesome solo mission! I fished the shallow reefs from 7-9am with heaps of fish showing up. I ended up with 2 decent lippers, 2 fat tuskies, a small squire, 3 mack tuna and a schoolie.

I lost a huge brute of a fish (snapper?) that parted the line on a weak spot half way up the line. DAMN!!! and that was 20lb line (could be 3 or 4 years old tho). It pays to put fresh line on your spool, and dump the old stuf thats been battle-scarred over the years.

On the way back from Spot X I noticed some diving birds. So I decided to fish my light 6lb outfit, casting and retreiving SPs along the surface. The tuna went crazy over them, slashing at everything I threw at them from 3" Pogys to 5" Shads. Often they would bite through the line, but more often than not they would be hooked solidly in the mouth. If anyone has hooked a macky on 6lb bream gear then they will know how damn well they fight!!!:o They really are the speedsters of the sea!

...With line peeling off the drag faster than skin off my nose, I knew I had to do something quick. I started the motor and followed it. As I was on my own I was clutching the rod in my left hand high above the windscreen and winding up the slack as I controlled the vessel with my right hand. Whenever I approached the fish and slowed up it would take another hard run, always headed East. This happened about 5 times and 20 mins later the fish began to tire...only 3 more runs then it turned side on and circled the boat using its wide body shape as a big parachute, then I finally netted him!

Thanks for the tip Dave, I will have to get myself one of those TLDs sooner or later...and some new line!

Sea-Captain
03-02-2007, 12:09 PM
nice one 'sniper' - sounds you did well driving the boat while playing the mac!! well done

tfish
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Nice catch mate. couple of nice fish there!!good effort on the mac too....

-spiro-
03-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey mate whar area where you fishing? sunshine coast? morton? somewhere else? just asking general area

DaMaGe
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
LOL @ chasing down the Tuna with 6lb, that's a top effort.

indy
03-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Nice mixed bag there well done