PDA

View Full Version : Rod Backbones

Poodroo
02-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Just out of interest sakes I have always wondered what technique rod builders use to find the backbone of a rod when lining up the runners. So many rods I have tested have not had the guides lined up on the backbone properly and the runners kick off to the side when under load.

Poodroo

DR
02-02-2007, 04:04 PM
i put an answer in the binding on the spine thread..
i am sure you will be given other ways & you will then sort out which works for you..

Poodroo
03-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks DR. :)

Poodroo

zealot
03-02-2007, 11:48 PM
a back bone is just were the rod bends at is softest point , some can have up to three points that can be called the backbone . all you do is just place the rod butt on a hard surface (about 45 deg)and load the blank up as if to simulate a fish pulling on it, and you roll the blank across the surface until you find strongest or in this case weakest point and thats the back bone

roz
04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
You'll get to see how it's done at the RBW.

There are also contraptions you can buy that will do it for you.

Poodroo
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks heaps guys. I am so looking forward to the RBW. Come on May, get here quickly. :D

Poodroo

Noelm
06-02-2007, 09:52 AM
another way is to pick up the blank from the tip end, make sure you do not snap it off if it is a light weight blank, then hold the blank about 2 feet or so further down with the other hand, and let it sort of "hang" rotate the blank with the tip haned and you will feel a distinct "click" when it is on the backbone, remember to allow for overhead or threadline reels as the reel fitting will be 180 degrees out of course.

Olly
27-04-2007, 03:36 PM
another way is to pick up the blank from the tip end, make sure you do not snap it off if it is a light weight blank, then hold the blank about 2 feet or so further down with the other hand, and let it sort of "hang" rotate the blank with the tip haned and you will feel a distinct "click" when it is on the backbone, remember to allow for overhead or threadline reels as the reel fitting will be 180 degrees out of course.

I like this method also, I usually mark the blank witha chinagraph pencil, then go back the other way to be sure.