PDA

View Full Version : rum runner

emj
02-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking of buying a cox craft rumrunner about 17 tears old, any one had any major issues , pro's and con's would be appreciated.

grounded8-)

16.2_ISAAC
02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
There was exact same post a few weeks ago...lots of info for you..cheers

ozscott
03-02-2007, 11:11 AM
my mate has one same age with an old 115 johno - same age as boat. He likes it and for a 17 footer it has an insanely good amount of freeboard and she is deep for that size - deeper than the Haines of the same era. I dont know about following see problems as I have not asked him. Into chop I have seen it work well.

Cheers

Angla
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Great choice. Look for rotting around the fuel tank area and cracking at the floor where the cabin wall meets.

Mine was 5.2 metre with a 115 evinrude.

Had it out in 30 knotts off wide caloundra and took it all the way back to Mooloolabah. That was a tough trip but it coped very well heading into the sea. If you sit on the back of a wave it is like a lounge chair in a following sea. If you overtake the waves in a following sea it did turn a bit as you surfed the wave down but was still controllable.

Get a good canopy made for it

Chris

PinHead
03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
had one as my first boat with a 140 Suzuki on the back...only problem I had was it porpoised a hell of a lot

1975fflh
17-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi Mate

I bopught one last March its a 1989 hull with a 1999 90Hp Johnno, I thik its the ducks guts, There are few listed for sale and run from $11000 to 18000, usually the same year motor as the hull.

The guy that owned Coxcraft used to work for Haines hence the very similar designs,

I love mine it is a wonderfull boat but a little heavy if you dont have a deckie, they are good in a swell and you need to trim them reasonably well, They have good deep sides (the kids dont tend to fall overboard) and plenty of room on deck and in the cabin, they also made inboard models.

The oly problem with mine was that some one when fitting a second battery put the holder for the battery too close to the side and drilled through the hull and i had touch up the glass. other than that its a great boat and i fish from it outside and in the lakes and tow kids on a tube and ski behind it a very very good alrounder, The wife will even go out if I am not fishing as the old girl doesnt look like a trawler.

Gordon

1975fflh
17-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Sorry meant to say fit a permatrim or se SPORTS HYDROFOIL AND IT WILL STOP ANY PORPOISING PROBLEMS AN SHOOT OUT OF THE HOLE.