PDA

View Full Version : Sanding a grip

Stuie
02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I have a rod which doesn't fit into the rod holders on the boat too good. Is a really tight fit. Can the grip be sanded to make the diameter smaller?

Stuart
02-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Sure can, just wrap masking tape at both end of the grip, i.e., wrap tape over reel seat and butt cap wether it be a rubber cap or a gimble. If you have a linisher, then center less grind it to shape. You can hand sand it in which case I would use a flat board with sanding paper stuck to it in order to make the grip even and easy to sand. Using a board will also give more control than using just sand paper in the hand.

Stuart
Precision Rods

Bearclaw
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Stu,
What's a linisher???? you have me curious here.

sid_fishes
02-02-2007, 05:22 PM
myles, a linisher is a big belt sander. as a metal worker i use them all the time but as a rod builder stu you really worry me sometimes .

Stuart
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I can shape a grip on the rod using a linisher as well as I can shapeing one on my metal lathe. I have been doing it this way for over 10 years on rods with leather grips. Its realy the only way to do them. Hypolon is a great grip material but crap at holding shape once pressed onto the rod. I use my linisher to as a center less grinding device, takes me less than two minutes to shape the grip. I use worne down 60 grit belts and 80 grit new belts,works a treat mate.

Stu

rick k
04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
or, if the rod holder is one of the $20 models, fire up the heat gun/hair dryer, warm 'em up, slip a piece of wood or whatever into the narrow bit, i.e. the two parallel edges at the top, and let it cool. Works OK- may need to redo it now and again.

But if the grips are that big, maybe the line class is toooooo high for the rod holder anyway? Unless fishing a light drag...........

rick k
04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
me again, if it is a snaplock or similar, ignore the above. Likewise a the flushmount holders

Stuie
05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. The holders are flush mounted steel ones so I'll try to sand down the grip a little.