PDA

View Full Version : Recoating a rod

Trevor2
31-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I need to recoat a rod after it was shortened a little! I need to recoat the rod before refitting guides.

It is graphite, guides all removed, cleaned up and very lightly sanded with 1200 wet and dry so that the fibers were not opened up.

What can be used, is best or easiet to use, and obtain on nortside of Brisabne or in Brisbane?

Kind regards Trevor

Bearclaw
01-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Trevor
The best stuff for a graphite rod would be a product called Permagloss. this is not imported into the country so it won't help you. It is a single part polyurathene, very hard wearing. Probably the best thing for you to do is take it down the local panel beaters and ask them to spray a couple of coats of clear 2 part auto polyurathene on, make sure you get them to put some flex agent in it. I have been told some places charge you nothing while some charge you a small fortune and a new blank would be cheaper.
There is a product call Spar Urathene, it is a single part marine grade polyurathene, this will probably be the cheapest if you can locate some. Was told Bunnings had it, but everytime I've gone I haven't found it. I should ask I suppose.