PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Beach Netting Closure

cosmo
31-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello,
It is well known that there is a netting closure within Rodds Harbour at Turkey Beach. This ban prohibits the use of any form of net be it for commercial/recreational purposes. However the boundaries of the area included in this ban are a bit of a mystery. There is a small sign at the boat ramp(below a large GBRMPA sign) that describes the boundary but not very well. Not wanting to get fined for collecting bait I decided to call the local fisheries department and they basicaly told me what the sign said with the exception that you are allowed to use a net (cast or drag) upstream of the mouth of gazetted creeks. I asked if they had the area marked on a map and they said "mmmm... not really but if you come down to the station we will show you". So I went down the station and no one was there except for a receptionist who didn't know much about it and could only give me details of the GBRMPA closures that I already knew about.

You think fisheries would put up a sign with a decent map on it at the boat ramp so as to aviod any confusion at all. I know that travellers have been fined for using bait nets because they just didn't know about the closure. Does any one know any more about this closure?

Cheers.