PDA

View Full Version : It's raining! YAHOO!

Mozza
31-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi all,

There's water everywhere up here in the North. It gonna be a great barra season :D.

"Go on you big gals, go lay them eggs before the pro's net ya" ::)

What can I say - 'cept that I can hear my barra rod crying out for some action.

Woo Hoo.

Mozza

aussiefool
31-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Mate, when your finished with the rain ... send a bit down this way thanks

Noelm
31-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I remember it rained here once, a long time ago, but I still remember it

Jim_Tait
31-01-2007, 11:55 AM
I think it time I did some north Queensland field work!!

Scalem
31-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Start bottling the rain mate, if we don't get some rain in SE Qld soon, you'll have struck a gold mine of people who don't like the idea about drinking recycled water....

Scalem

Mozza
31-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Hmmm Scalem,

Thats really not a bad idea - and I could supply with barra fry to the Ausfishers...

Well, to be honest we're pretty lucky because the long term forecast after the rain a couple of weeks ago was not until mid-Feb according to the JMO. So there's hope yet for SEQ. A few big storms just ain't going to do it - you need a few weeks of solid rain. You need a low like the one that flooded the Alice a couple of weeks ago. Here's hoping and praying fella's....

Jim, see you in a couple...

Mozza

Poodroo
31-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey I just looked that word "Rain" up in the dictionary.
Rain: n. water falling in drops from the clouds.- v. fall or pour down as rain.- Rainy adj..
Now that I know what it is according to Oxford I will try to keep my eye out for it when or if it happens.:-/

Poodroo

Jaysea
31-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Start bottling the rain mate, if we don't get some rain in SE Qld soon, you'll have struck a gold mine of people who don't like the idea about drinking recycled water....

Scalem
We get our water from straddie so I would have voted for recycled water ;D ;)

cqfreshie
31-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Gettin' to be like a Credence Clearwater Revival theme here in CQ ... :-/ Lookin' out my back door, Wanderin' if I'll ever see the rain, or rather, can't remember IF I've ever seen the rain, and watchin' a Bad moon risin'.:'( :'(

Cheers?

Obi _ Wan
31-01-2007, 11:06 PM
You little beauty, send her down Huey.
We need yards of rain, please let it happen, all over the country not just in isolated areas.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan

krazyfisher
01-02-2007, 05:48 AM
last week 190mm and this week so far 150mm

Wahoo
01-02-2007, 06:00 AM
haveing heaps of rain up this way

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/IDR213.gif

major-defect
01-02-2007, 09:17 AM
We got over 300 mm here yesterday

Dicko
01-02-2007, 09:36 AM
yep, won't be long and I can launch the boat direct from my driveway :D

Mozza
01-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Well,

Its now hitting Mackay, Rocky and some at Gladdie.

Give us updates on the conditions fellas especially the dams - I notice Peter Faust is up by a metre.

Mozza

Taipan
01-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Paluma and Ross dams are overflowing!!

It would be better if the Ross dam was finiished.

Scalem
01-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Paluma and Ross dams are overflowing!!

It would be better if the Ross dam was finiished.

M8,

Ihave a client in T'Ville who has something to do with water management there. The spillway to one dam measures 30 mtrs across. The water depth on the top lip of the spillway is 1.5mtrs. That's a lot of water!!

The water line to his own private house is only 1 mtr away before the garage starts going under.

I don't think you will need to go far to catch a barra, they will be swimming around in your own back yard if the low develops into a cyclone.:o

Scalem

jtpython
01-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Am hearing you about rain am in rocky region, My tanks had 4 inch's of water left in them till today coolies:D

nonibbles
01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Everyone OK?

krazyfisher
02-02-2007, 06:02 AM
just going to check the rain gauge its one of the larger round ones its about to over flow!!!!!!!

Mozza
02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
So far so good.

Been watching the salvinia and hyacinth cascading over Aplins weir - if the authorities want to get these noxious weeds under control, then now is the time. Wait for the floods to subside then get in starting right up the top of the Dam and clean it out with the weed muncher. Or push it up the banks a bit now so that it gets left high and dry when the water drops.

Hope everyone's okay. Sounds like Ingham is under water and cut-off but at least its not a cat5 cyclone. Peter Faust has risen ~5m since the rain started a couple of weeks ago.

Good hunting to you all.

Mozza

major-defect
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I was up at Tinnaroo on the weekend and she was down quite a bit but I'd say that is changing as I type.

krazyfisher
02-02-2007, 03:23 PM
got 200mm over night and another 100mm till now so far this week that's
450mm

Barraless
02-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I was going to go fishing this weekend but all the roads are floaded so I can not get out of town, but I love it. I haven't been able to go to work for two days yipee

Mozza
02-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Bloody hell Krazyfisher, Mackay's out in front in the lead with Mission Beach (major_defect) coming in a close second.

Ya kiddin' Barraless, Moranbah - I knew it was raining inland but not that much. Here's hoping that places like Cania Dam get a bit of a recharge as well.

We've had a reasonably quiet day in Townsville that is, until tonight - its been bucketing since 5-ish.

Stay safe.

Mozza

mitch qld
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Mackay 430mm + Teemburra dam 416mm + Peter Faust and Eungella Dam risen metres + Kinchant Dam near 100%= Awesome Barra Season ahead. YOU LITTLE BEEEWDY!!!!!;D

krazyfisher
03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
put me down for another 95mm from this morning total 545mm since mon

devocean
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah we got over 300mm and I had the pleasure of watching the barra pros watching the river run as this is the first time in over a decade that they have missed netting the first hour of the season because the rivers are running way to hard. I telkl you what though pumped out to where the fresh met the salt and jeez there was soime big shadows moving around cant wait for it all to slow down a bit

Reel Nauti
03-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Checked my rain guage here in Rocky yesterday after having been away since Monday morning. 42ml. It seems we must have missed most of it.

Cheers
Dave

Mozza
04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Guys,

It's still raining in Townsville - 20's to 30's (mm). Thought I'd take on the weather today and chance my arm trolling the breakwaters. Like I thought there was pleanty of bait hanging up in the more protected areas but no luck on the trolling.

The rain is now coming in with the S'Easterlies - squalls interspersed with quieter periods. Got absolutely hammered by a squall around 2:30 and decided to call it quits. Discretion being the better of valour, I dropped my passenger off on the quiet side with orders to keep a watchful eye onme from the rocks. Donned a lifejacket and braved the lumpy stuff on the other side.

Bloody hell.

As I came around the bend with all the rainwater in the boat, I hit the first of a set of close-spaced swells and practically stood her up. Luckily no water in over the back. I decided to take her a bit slower after that.

BOM's forecasting rain until mid-week - when is enough, enough?

And please can I not hear too many complaining about the wasted water that's running out to sea.

Mozza

Blue Dog
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
34 inches in 6 days. A little break would now be nice!

aussie_true_blue
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi there,

My brother lives just south of Tully and he has a creek running through his property.

He phoned me up to tell me there are barra swimming under and around his flooded home some around 10kg. He said they dont appear to be hungry at the moment as he tried to catch a couple to no avail. He isnt too game to go down with a net as he is not too sure if any of those big lizards with sharp teeth are there with them. He said also the barra season should be great there this season.

Cheers Bob

Mozza
05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Geez Bob

I dunno - I think I might that a fairly surreal experience.

Well I've officially had enough!

And now we've got 2 lows, 1 either side of the Cape. Lets hope the one near Cairns buggers off and the one near Mornington Is heads South and shares some of the water around to you folk in SEQ.

Wet bums to y'all

Mozza

Barraless
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/C:\Documents and Settings\bakem9\My Documents\My Pictures\Gonefishing.jpg

Barraless
06-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Opps sorry bout that posting but here is a picture of the only fishing happening in Mackay last weekend

Cheers Matt.B.

Dicko
06-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Went for a run up blacks weir saturday arvo,

Black_Rat
07-02-2007, 07:19 PM
got this photo in an email from the Aquaris in Townsville I think :o