PDA

View Full Version : Which Tinny? Stessco, Clark or Brooker

Tinlegs
30-01-2007, 05:26 PM
G'day Ausfishers,

I'm about to buy a new tinny in the 4.1-4.2 range and I've narrowed it down to 3 makes - Stessco 4.2, Clark Abalone 4.1 and the Brooker 4.1.

I'm a big chap, and will be putting a floor and casting deck into the boat, so I'm going for a 3cyl 40hp tiller steer.

All will be about the same price with the mods I'll have done to the boat, so it's really up to what I consider as getting good value for my hard earned, and the opinions and experience of the good people who contribute to this site.

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to hearing back.

Mark

inspired
30-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi Tinlegs
I have a 4.45 Stessco Hurricain powered 50hp merc 2 adults 3 runts perfect day boat pulls a tube no worries handles great i was going to get the 4.2 good value for money but just that bit too small for 5 i felt Stessco did the best deal for me regards Jeff

wiz
30-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi tinlegs

have a look at the seajay

are you going with the basic tiny or the full floor pedastal seats????

cheers

seajay535
30-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I had a stessco couldnt fault it a good boat for the money.take wiz`s advice and have a look at a seajay i think they are of better quality and i wouldnt go back to anything else now i have one

nigelr
31-01-2007, 05:38 AM
Hi.
I have a Steesco 4.2 Catcher tiller steer, not the prettiest in terms of weld finishing, but strong,deep and wide, good deep v for a production tinny, have had no probs, cross local river bar when conditions allow, no broken welds or any other issues over the last 3 years. Stessco full gal trailer is great, I fish either solo or 2 up, have a 30hp Tohatsu which is very economical and perfect for fishing, too slow for toys (according to my teenage son, anyway!) but more a fishing boat.
I'm very happy with it as a simple, strong, low price inshore capable (in suitable conditions) fishing boat. A bit ticklish at rest due to relatively deep vee at transom, but nothing a little common sense can't overcome.
IMO, excellent value for money, 3mm bottom is standard, suprisingly dry ride.
Cheers.

TheSaint
31-01-2007, 08:49 AM
My mate has 06' 4.1 Brooker with Yamaha 40hp 2/st & my brother has the older 4.2 with 40hp also there are great boats & handle anything thown at them. You do get a little wet when the wind get up over 25 knots but that is to be expected in worsening weather conditions. Brooker has great standard setup but it would be easy to fit a inbuilt livewell up front or rear casting deck that could hide your fuel tank/s & battery. Electric motors work great on them also with room up front to fit the deepcycle in..

Just watch out they seal the timber right as my mate has little gold top mushrooms growing out of his floors!! :o

Matt_F
31-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Yet another recomendation. Allycraft tank are a very big and sturdy tiny for their length. Lots of deck space and freeboard.

natrat
31-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi Tinlegs
Food for thought. I purchased a Stessco 3.7m Tripper just over 12 months ago which I run a 15hp to replace our 11'6 Dehavilland that is over 30 years old and after seven months it started developing cracks every where. I have been on to Stessco about the problem and over the last four months I have been chasing them up to fix the problem. Not once have they contacted me I have had to do all the ringing. So before you jump in and buy, research after sales service and quality. Cheap is not allways the best just consider some of the other well known brands, it may save you some heartache latter on.
Good boating
Natrat

Tinlegs
31-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, all great stuff -

I was already leaning toward the Stessco, but I'll check out the Sea Jay now too.

I've got some space restrictions at my place, and the Ally Craft might just be too big on the trailer - I'll have another look at that one too.

Particularly excited about the magic mushrooms in the Brooker - I wonder if they offer that as an optional extra!

Best,

Mark

BAT
31-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Tinlegs what natrat has said is very true after sale service is most important. The unfortunate part with us tinnie owners is we are on the bottom when it comes to profits of a sale for the dealers & manufacture's. And this in turn can lean towards a dont want to know you attitude should you have any dramas. Shop around till you find not only the perfect boat for yourself but also a dealer & manufacture that you feel you can trust once money has exchanged hands.

lippa
31-01-2007, 06:28 PM
have a lokk at the stacer seahorse range, they are simply awesome, i own one 5,25 at can't fault it, they are a little dearer than the others but quality and resale value will outway it in the end

ps shoosh, mines for sale, but don't tell me missus!

cheers

lippa

saurian
31-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Tinlegs , have had 4.3 & 4m clarks , no cracks at all......Very strong but a little agricultural. Seajay make a great 4.15 m in all sorts of tiller steer layouts and they sure are popular in queensland.
Ta.

scungey
31-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi Tinlegs,

Natrad is on the money mate. Cheapest is not always the best way to go. You are a big bloke.....so you may want stability and some good freeboard.

Clarkies have a moderate deadrise so stability will be good...they do bang a bit but they are as tough as guts. My mate has got one that is 30 years old and we have done things in that that need not repeating......and the Seajay has great freeboard.

Check out the Quintrix 420 classic. It's a dory with a full floor and swivel seats...perhaps best of both worlds but probably a bit more expensive.

You can't really go wrong here mate. Aussies make great 4 metre dinghies.
Good luck and happy fishing.