PDA

View Full Version : New Reel needed

Enzogonad
28-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi there, looking for a bit of advice on a new Reel. I am looking for a new egg beater/baitcaster style but not sure which is best:-/ . I currently have a little Alvey (which is great for basic bait fishing) that I use in the tinny but need a new one to use SP's to target some Squire,Jacks, GT and Cod etc..;D I have a budget of $100 or below. Can anyone tell me what the advantage of a baitcaster is over an egg beater? Also any ideas of brands and models that would be ok? I have seen a Penn boat combo at one of the large chains for under $100 which seems good. Hoping someone can help, thanks.

laney
28-01-2007, 12:50 PM
hey mate for sp i would be purchasing a egg purely for the fact they are much easier to cast light plastics. you should look at the shimano range in the 2500 size such as the sedona, sahara and if u wanted to spend a little bit extra the symetre is a fantastic reel. make sure u shop around and spend the time to find the best deal. with the braid i believe it is more of a personal thing. hope u find you combo.
Josh

laney
28-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Sorry about the typos in a rush

4x4frog
28-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey Enzo'
Depending on how game you are you could hit US-ebay and look there at Quantum gear.
I have a Quantum Energy E2-4 and it's the best light reel I have ever used. It's extremely well balanced and sensative to any line. They made them in good range of sizes and there is a place in Canada that stock all the parts you'd need to ever repair or service these reels. I have no idea what spares/extra parst for Shimano etc are like for availabiltiy of parts but for these reels I buy from 'reel dr' dot com (no spaces) and they are fast and very inexpensive.
I also have a Quantum Iron baitcast reel and it's as good as the spin reel for feel and ease of use. It cost me under $30 landed here in Aust for a reel that retailed over $100 when new.

Enzogonad
29-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks for that, I will do some shopping around for a good egg beater.