PDA

View Full Version : polish

Hoodie
27-01-2007, 11:34 AM
i have a fibre glass boat and it is a bit dull whats the best polish and what is gel coat.

thanks hoodie

Blackened
27-01-2007, 03:40 PM
G'day

Hoodie... what brand of boat do you have?

Gelcoat is the non structural decorative finish of fibreglass, where the boat is white, that's white gelcoat, Where it is blue, that is gelcoat with blue pigment, it can come in many many different colours. Typically speaking the gelcoat layer is only about 1mm thick.

What to use?
I only use meguiars mirror glaze marine range. PM me for the procedure and what to do and what not to do.

Dave

newchum
27-01-2007, 08:50 PM
don't mean to hijack your thread hoodie, but if blackened good tell me if you can get ome pigment from haines, and is gelcoat beyond repair if it is chalky

Blackened
27-01-2007, 10:58 PM
G'day
On the pigment, if it's a standard colour used by the manufacturer like FGI (fibreglass international) then they may be able to supply the same pigment colour to you, as they did with haines. If not, contact haines directand see if they can lend a hand.

It is possible to restore a chalked gelcoat surface to a very good condition, with the right understanding and tools. But sometimes, the damage has gone too far, but this is rare.

Dave

Hoodie
28-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Blackened ,....do happen to work with fibre glass. iv sent you a pm
hoodie

newchum
28-01-2007, 09:36 PM
G'day
On the pigment, if it's a standard colour used by the manufacturer like FGI (fibreglass international) then they may be able to supply the same pigment colour to you, as they did with haines. If not, contact haines directand see if they can lend a hand.

It is possible to restore a chalked gelcoat surface to a very good condition, with the right understanding and tools. But sometimes, the damage has gone too far, but this is rare.

Dave

thanks for that dave, sorry again hoodie

Haines_V17R
29-01-2007, 10:43 AM
don't mean to hijack your thread hoodie, but if blackened good tell me if you can get ome pigment from haines, and is gelcoat beyond repair if it is chalky

its called heavy cutting media and a LOT of elbow grease

i went to the point of rubbing back the entire hull of my V17R with 80 GRIT wet n dry.....if you know your sandpapers thats horribly harsh, but thats what it needed to bring back colour

i used 80 grit, then 120, 240, 600, 1200...then machine buff with heavy RE-PO auto cutter, and finally a light cut/polish

came up amazingly shiny!

if you go this route just make sure you rub each stage of wet n dry vigorously, as i have a few fine swirl makes that remained from the 80/120 grit....that i didnt get out 100% with the 600/1200 and so on.

my advice would be to start with as fine a grade as possible (1200 good start point) and then gradually go harsher if you need to.

i found that if the earlier harsh stages were done well, 1200 grit brought the surface up to a point where a heavy machine buff brought up a beautiful gloss.

good luck!

litenup
31-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I used 3M Perfectit II, and got amazing results. I tried a lot of the common ppolishes available, but the 3M was heaps better. Cheers Pete.