PDA

View Full Version : pine and skiers

aussie_true_blue
27-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Went to the pine yesterday to try to catch some fish and crabs but nothing there.

The only problem we encountered on the day was from one irresponsible ski boat operator who towed a skier between our boat and the bank (which was anchored only about 15 meters from the bank) then immediately turned around our boats using then as a turning bouy, then gave us the one finger salute when we questioned them.

The main problem could have been is we were transferring my 7yo granddaughter from a 3.75 tinnie to the bigger boat at the time we didnt realise they skiboat operator would have been so stupid as to pass on the inside of us. Both the tinnie and our boat clashed together in the wash of the ski boat turning around us to head back down the river.

We didnt get the rego of the boat as we were more concerned in the granddaughter and the two boats rubbing together.

So just becareful when in the pine, there are a few of these cowboys with total disregard to the safety of other users.

The place we were anchored was about 2klms upriver from the power lines near and I we would not have been in the ski run area.

Bob

Bob

karrier
27-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes Bob they can be a pain. ( but so can fisherman ) there is enough water for all to enjoy if you go about it with others in mind. I find mid week a good time to enjoy the Pine.
Cheers
Karrier

Custaro
27-01-2007, 12:19 PM
The Transport Dept. and EPA should hurry up with zoning out skiing and wake boarding in some of the local creeks and rivers or sections of. These boats are doing massive amounts of damage to the environment also.

lifestyle
27-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Let them ski in the pine . And when you fish get a good burly going. When you catch your first shark hold it up and show them. Then tell them you saw a 14 footer not far away. The pine has plenty of sharks in it.

BR65
27-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Like your form Lifestyle.

snasman
27-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Unfortuneatly Thats the way it is on weekends at the pine I avoid it at all costs if possible, as its been said Bloody COWBOYS!! and the cops arnt interested I know ive rung them after I had a ski boat come within 2 meters of my boat continually whilst anchored up in the upper reaches of the place , as I had my 4 yo daughter with me at the time little could be done due to the amount of people this clown had with him, no less than 8 people arrived in the fools boat then set up base on the private island and proceded to tear down the signage ."private property keep off"

Black_Rat
27-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Bob,

Was fishing there this morning just up stream from the Highway bridge. A V8 wake board boat with stereo pumping was towing a wakeboarder behind.

What happened next left me shaking my head. The guy on the wake board swings around behind the boat near the bank and it looked like he was heading straight towards a tree that had fallen into the river :o

At the last second poceeds to jump the tree :o at a fair rate of knots.

He obvioulsy knew what he was doing because after doing a U turn after that manouver he proceeds to come back over the wake of the boat and does a double flip in the air but snuffed the landing ;D

gilbo
28-01-2007, 08:23 PM
As someone that enjoys both fishing and Skiing/wakeboarding/tubing, I see both sides of the story from inconsiderate ski boat operators to crab pots and fishing boats in totally inappropriate places. As someone stated, there is plenty of room for everyone if people just show a little consideration and common sense. Would hate to think they would close areas of the pine to skiers because of a couple of inconsiderate "cow boys".

Hey Black rat - I have a mate that I go wake boarding with occassionally who is very very good on a board and does a similar thing in jumping branches and logs which leaves me shaking my head at time as well.

Obi _ Wan
31-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes gilbo there is enough room for everybody that is if all are considerate of others.
I fish the Pine a lot and find that there is an ever increasing number of ski and wakeboard boats using the area. At times you can find them set up in their land based areas way up both the South and North Pine rivers. If you fish as i do in close to the mangroves you will find that many skiers come close enough so you can read the tatoo's on their bodies and you can talk to them with out raising your voice as they are that close, 10 to 12 feet away, you end up being washed into the mangroves.
And then there are the wakeboard boats who set up a large wake as they are designed to do, creating great damage to the river banks, undercutting banks, trees falling in etc. To be honest i can not believe that it is allowed to continue.
I was always under the impression that the ski area was only in a certain area but now with skiers just about everywhere i just don't know what the score is.
Then there are the jetskis, i have almost been ramed a few times while fishing in close to the bank and a jetski appears around the corner going hell for leather only to turn away at the last minute meaning we get showered with water, fun hey???
To be perfect honest i would like to see Somerset get some more water in it then maybe some of these boats would go out there!
Oh and by the way, a mate of mine saw a shark, whaler, around the 14 foot mark at the junction of the two Pine rivers not long ago and we often see bull sharks around the 5 foot mark free jumping all up the Pine.
Hoping for some sanity please.

Obi_Wan

Wahoo
01-02-2007, 06:56 AM
are skiers aloud to start to ski at the boat ramp? as im unsure if they can

Daz

FNQCairns
01-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh and by the way, a mate of mine saw a shark, whaler, around the 14 foot mark at the junction of the two Pine rivers not long ago and we often see bull sharks around the 5 foot mark free jumping all up the Pine.
Hoping for some sanity please.

Obi_Wan

Thought I was the only one to see these sharks free jumping in the pine:o first time I have heard it mentioned by someone else in 20years!

We used to catch shark on dog chain hooked the 4wd when I was a teen, night was without doubt the best time but it was very rare not to get one.

Sooner or later someone will get a nip.

cheers fnq