PDA

View Full Version : Allycraft 4.50 Tank + 60hp 4-Strk Yammy

rat_catcher
26-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Anybody got any feedback on an Allycraft 4.50 Tank with a 60hp 4-Stroke Yamaha tiller steer? I looked all over one this morning and my biggest concern is the lowness of the cutout in the transom for the motor. Any idea how much above the waterlevel this cutout is? I am worried about taking water through it.

Any general feedback on this combination?

Will be used for crabbing in the river and chasing mackeral at some of the local inshore points.

Matt_F
26-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Rat_catcher,

I have owned my 4.5 tank with 40ph Yamaha 2 strk tiller for about a year. I bought the 40 as a matter of budget rather that choice. It does the job though. With 2 people and a bunch of gear fuel and water, I get about 23knts at WOT. I will eventually upgrade to a 60 hp 4stk though.
As for the transom height, I think that all boats suited for a 40 to 60 hp outboard will have a similar height from the the keel to the transom as this distance is determined by the length of the motor leg. It just looks a lot lower because the sides are much higher than other tinnies of that size.

I rate the tank above most other pressed hulls of it's size in terms of tructural srength. My opininion is that it is a step up from most pressed hulls and a step down from a plate ally hull. They are 3mm ally all round and have a look under the floor, they have a lot more ribbs than a pressed hull.

Keep in mind these hulls are very wide for their length (2.35m i think) and they only have a moderate dead rise so they are prone to a bit of pounding not unlike every other pressed tinny hull I have riden in.

I take mine out the reef from Lucinda without any trouble. I came back from the reef 2 days after boxing day in 20 knts of SE'er without any trouble. It sure was a bit rough and very wet, but safety was never an issue.
I hope this helps.

Matt.

rat_catcher
27-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Rat_catcher,

It just looks a lot lower because the sides are much higher than other tinnies of that size.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the above is right, maybe it just looks a lot lower due to the high sides.

Anybody else with feedback?

How about the 60hp 4-stroke in a tiller steer combination? Is this too big for tiller?

Kleyny
30-01-2007, 08:19 AM
ive got a quinny dory 460 and it has a 60 hp with a large cut out.
with the weight of the motor and the 50lt tank at the rear it sat low in the rear. i loaded it up with camping gear once and when i come off the plane it took in water. the fix was easy tank up the front and ease off the plane.

all good now

neil

rat_catcher
30-01-2007, 10:33 PM
i loaded it up with camping gear once and when i come off the plane it took in water.

OK. That was the feedback I was worried about. Thanks though it has helped a lot.

Kleyny
03-02-2007, 07:15 PM
when i say loaded i mean loaded. once i put the tank up the front ive never had a drama. to be honest the only way to stop that would be to fit a engine well.
ive had water come over the back once and i'm 90 percent sure i can avoid it happening again. i put it down to two things, 1 loaded up to much and 2 driver error( that was hard to write)

i now come off the plane slower

Neil

rat_catcher
10-02-2007, 04:14 PM
when i say loaded i mean loaded. once i put the tank up the front ive never had a drama.

Understood. Thanks for the feedback.