PDA

View Full Version : Outboard to drive 12ft fibreglass

irishjim
25-01-2007, 01:57 PM
A friend has just been given a 12 ft open fibreglass runabout without an outboard.....what max hp outboard should he fit.

Regards - Jim

Blackened
25-01-2007, 03:03 PM
G'day
Have a good look over the boat for a manufacture plate, this will have the max. rated HP on it.

Being glass and assuming it's in good condition and only 12', you MAY get away with a 40hp..... but a 25 is more like it

Dave

finga
25-01-2007, 03:04 PM
15hp will do nicely but if he's a speed demon go 20hp.
I had a 25hp on my 3.75m Stebercraft and the bloody thing fair flew. Scarey really at full throttle. It was rated at 33hp.
But always only ever to the max. allowable by the plate if it has a plate.

blaze
25-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Must also keep in mind, is it a displacement hull or a planing hull. When recommending an outboard this must be a consideration. If its a displacement hull it will be an utter waste of HP to go over 6hp, If its a planing hull 15-20hp would be on the money.
cheers
blaze

gone_fishing
25-01-2007, 05:42 PM
i have a 12' fibre glass with a 9.9 its a great motor when im by myself but if i take any one else (other than the missus 60kg) the little bugger will not get onto the plan (no plan crap fuel efficency) so go min 15hp or even 20 but check max hp

Fish Guts
25-01-2007, 08:53 PM
as much as it can take !! its always better to be overpowered then underpowered

stevedemon
25-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi irishjim
mate i would not go any more than 20hp on a 12' Fibreglass as they are light enough never over power small Vessels or any vessel for that matter :'( :'( as you will end up flipping it or ripping the rear end out of it either way disaster>:( 15 - 20hp will get you up on the plain with 3 P.O.B no problems an if you are looking for that size motor

ring Southside marine wreckers an outboard mechanical Services on Ph No 3805-8595 there at Bethania on the south side they have a good one down there for sale in top condition tiller Electric start sorry do not remember the price

Cheers;D ;D
Steve8-) 8-)

Fish Guts
26-01-2007, 12:49 AM
as i said...as much as it can take (not throwing some ridiculous on it)..and you will only flip if it you are being an idiot.

aussiefool
26-01-2007, 02:44 AM
i have a 12' fibre glass with a 9.9 its a great motor when im by myself but if i take any one else (other than the missus 60kg) the little bugger will not get onto the plan (no plan crap fuel efficency) so go min 15hp or even 20 but check max hp

I too have a 12' glass with a 9.9 jono on the back, same prob great by yourself and under powered with anyone else.

gone_fishing, what I did to over come the problem with an other person onboard was to fit a foil to the motor... made the world of difference to the over all performance. Now jumps out of the hole and plans well with a extra body onboard

finga
26-01-2007, 05:42 AM
I too have a 12' glass with a 9.9 jono on the back, same prob great by yourself and under powered with anyone else.

gone_fishing, what I did to over come the problem with an other person onboard was to fit a foil to the motor... made the world of difference to the over all performance. Now jumps out of the hole and plans well with a extra body onboard
That'll be a finga special foil for AF. My own special design :)

gone_fishing
26-01-2007, 10:25 AM
thanks aussie fool thats good to know as ive been contemplating that option as if would be worth while
might give a go i think