PDA

View Full Version : new artificial reef in Moreton Bay

Jeremy
25-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Men rescued from sinking yacht

January 25, 2007 07:59am
TWO men have been rescued from their sunken yacht in Moreton Bay in south-east Queensland.
A 33-year-old and a 56-year-old radioed for help after a wave tore a hole in the vessel's hull north of Green Island around 3pm (AEST) yesterday, police said.
Brisbane Water police and the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron response vessel rescued the pair from the water after the yacht had completely sunk.
Both men escaped unhurt.

seatime
25-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Jeremy

are you telepathic? you posted that story 20 minutes before the 7:59am News Ltd release! only joking, just a typo.

how the hell does a wave tear a hole in a vessel's hull? was it made out of canvas or animal skins?

Jeremy
25-01-2007, 08:27 AM
are you telepathic? Yes ;D ;D

how the hell does a wave tear a hole in a vessel's hull? was it made out of canvas or animal skins?

either that or a big wave. Probably canvas.

Jeremy

DaMaGe
25-01-2007, 08:51 AM
That was before the storm last night..
Glad they are OK, fair few sharks in that region.

Ninja
25-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Look here;)

Dirtysanchez
25-01-2007, 03:15 PM
No offence gents but it's not nice to be making light out of these poor fellow's misfortune.. I am glad to hear they were able to escape in time and weren't injured or worse !
I am sure it was a very scary event for them and I bet they had sharks on their mind too !
Cheers

seatime
25-01-2007, 03:58 PM
not making light of their misfortune, making light of the journalism.

FNQCairns
25-01-2007, 04:24 PM
In moreton bay!!?, they can thank their lucky stars they didn't make it outside, must have been a VERY unseaworthy boat!

cheers fnq

charleville
25-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Jhow the hell does a wave tear a hole in a vessel's hull? was it made out of canvas or animal skins?

I have been puzzling over this all day. It is driving me nuts! :speechless:

How does one hole a yacht north of Green unless they ran aground or hit a beacon?

Wave damage???!!!! :-/ The weather has not been that violent this week. :-/

jeffrey_h
25-01-2007, 09:48 PM
They did run aground and tore the keel off. It wasn't a fishing boat it was a yacht. The mast was still sticking out of the water. If it was one of my steel yachts it would not have sank, probably fiberglass.

Jeffrey

Blackened
26-01-2007, 11:11 AM
G'day

Will something like this be left there and the mast disassembled so it will not be sticking out, or will it be recovered?

Dave

seatime
26-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Dave

They may have to do some sort of salvage, there could be gear onboard worth the effort. Don't know any details, so hard to tell. There could be fuel or engine oil that could leak out, or other pollutants that have to be removed.
If it isn't already a hazard to navigation it may shift and become a hazard.
I recall a trawler that sunk off Gladstone in 20 odd metres, and sat upright. While it wasn't a hazard to small craft, it was a hazard to any vessel with a draft over 7m. It was off the coast so not much was done with it.
This yacht is in a marine park however, so????

regards
Steve

jez and suze
02-02-2007, 08:00 AM
artificial reef...fffew.......for a minute there i thought you were talking about mine.......