PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Like catching your own

Scalem
25-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Do any of you share the same sentiment in catching your own tablefare as apposed to buying seafood from the local shops?

What got me thinking is Freedom's post of a successful day out catching a heap of sand crabs.... There are days that you will come home with one or two crabs, but spent more in fuel than the value of the crabs, had you bought them from the shops. You always get the non fishing fraternity who tease you when you return home with NADA thing. On occasion, I will spend $40.00 in fuel to catch half a kilo of prawns - pure economics would suggest that many days should have seen me leave the boat at home.

But apart from the obvious that we simply enjoy getting out on the water, and whatever we catch is a bonus, is it my imagination, or the care I take with looking after the fish I catch by putting them in a salt slurry when caught, or cooking my crabs and prawns exactly the way I like, will always outshine the palatability of what is bought from shops?

I have a mate who occasionally benefits from an outing in MB with fresh Snapper on his dinner plate. I know from his reaction every time, I must be doing something right!!;D ;D

Scalem

Marlin_Mike
25-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Have to agree mate. The thrill of the chase, the hunt, and the fact what we catch, is very very fresh.

Beats the hell out of the limp lifeless junk some of the shops fob off as seafood. And you can prepare it how you like.

Cost against what we catch? Probably about $7000.00 a kilo :) More often than not, what we catch is not worth what we spent chasing it, but throw in the fun factor, the pleasant day on the water, beats the hell out of bought stuff every time.

Mike

finga
25-01-2007, 07:15 AM
snapper, where do you buy those from Brain...I mean Brian ;)
I hope they're local not imported....

Caught yourself is definitively better no matter the cost.
The pleasure in the day is not just the fish for me. It the day out doing something that I enjoy. Getting a feed (which I always do....sometimes :-/ ) is just a side benefit ;D
Cheers Scott

Synful
25-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi Scalem,

Definitely better to catch your own.

I use prawns as an example - shop bought ones have a much stronger taste and very salty compared to ones you catch yourself. When I have a feed of prawns that i have caught that morning or day; they always have a nice soft and sweet flavour - beats the shop everytime!

I agree with Marlin Mike re the cost-benefit-analysis - for me the amount of stress reduction that being on a boat, rocks or on a jetty early in the morning and watching a sunrise / sunset is priceless.

If it cost me $100 a time i'd still do it; just that the "ministry of finance" wouldn't let me out so often :) ::) ;)

Freeeedom
25-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Couldn't agree more. The superior quality of the fish and crustaceans that you catch yourself makes it worth it, not matter what the cost in time, fuel and gear. When you handle the catch yourself in order to maintain the freshness at its absolute best, and cook it the same day it was caught you just can't beat it. My family has come to expect it, but the number of times I've had guests say "that's the best fish I've ever tasted" is testimony to the difference between fresh caught and store bought. On top of that there is the therapeutic value of being out on the water, watching the sun rise or set, observing the turtles,dugongs and dolphins and thinking how lucky we are to live in Australia and Queensland.
Now all I have to do is work out a way to catch my own scallops!
Cheers Freeeedom

finga
25-01-2007, 12:27 PM
As a sideline to freshness...
A bloke (chef) told me one day not to cook the fish the same day as catching them.
Apparently if you leave them a day the flesh gets a tad firmer and easier to prepare and cook and ends up nicer then fresh straight from the boat to the BBQ. Something to do with riggermortis
Any comments on that theory??

supertinny
25-01-2007, 12:30 PM
cathing a feed is a bonus .
i just love going fishing

roz
25-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi scalem,

I would hate to know the actual cost of filling my freezer was.

Just the amount I put into building my rods would keep me in fillets for a long time.

But it's what I do, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Think about it for a second.... drive down to the super market for a kilo of imported catfish fillets or what ever they sell, V's getting out to sea in my own boat and pulling in a fish or two. No contest me thinks.

r.

PinHead
25-01-2007, 03:16 PM
hell..if I did not buy fish I would never get to eat it.

finga
25-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Mate, you've left yourself open for TOL there.
We'll see how long it takes for him to see and reply ;D

PinHead
25-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Mate, you've left yourself open for TOL there.
We'll see how long it takes for him to see and reply ;D

LOL..shhhhhhhhhhhh..but will he take the bait

GAD
25-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Every Friday night is fish ,, Haven't bought fish or prawns for years, don't want to either at the bloody price of it .Lucky to live in Cairns..
Just glad to catch a few ,and if I don't I still enjoy myself and that is worth more than the price of fuel .

Greg

roz
25-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Excuse Me!!!!!

Who GAVE you a feed of mackeral fillets not long ago, don't say Phill, he only delivered them.

r.

hungry6
25-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I haven't bought fish for years, and i eat a fair bit of seafood, a neighbour recently trying to be friendly by purchasing us a nice little snapper, I accepted the friendly gesture, but as for the snapper, it was probably only good for burley. The problem I see is that once you have raised the quality eating tablefare of caught fish against the purchase junk, the cost never comes in to the equation as to how much it cost and we haven't talk about the fun and fear factor.

PinHead
25-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Excuse Me!!!!!

Who GAVE you a feed of mackeral fillets not long ago, don't say Phill, he only delivered them.

r.

and had the last of it tonight..absolutely delicious..thank you

BGG
25-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Hunt, Gather, Feed
That's what it's all about
& you are assured of freshness as well as the joy of it all!!!!

Fishing_Freddy
25-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I've never bought any fish as I don't eat them:P. I just love to get out on the water and enjoy the day out, the wife and family like it when I come home as there is a fair chance they will be getting a feed. But I don't think you could beat something you have caught yourself and cooked the way you want.
Ken;D;D;D

Scalem
25-01-2007, 08:28 PM
All good replies thanks,

Then I can't figure out why my family will only eat fish that comes crumbed, and in a packet..... Unless I fillet and crumb them just like the fish 'n chips monger.... Can't figure that one out....

Oh well, at least I enjoy it!.

Scalem

Lucky_Phill
25-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I sort of agree with the ' chefs' theory. That's why I use the ice slurry to hold the fish. Chances are they are caught say Wednesday evening, and they will remain on ice until Thursday arvo, when they are filleted, skinned, de-boned with some being packed for freezing and a lot being cooked that night and maybe some for the next couple of nights.

Rigour mortis does set in and also the ' adreneline ' factor takes an effect on fresh caught fish. Something akin to the new fashion of letting meat ( steaks ) " rest " after cooking.

Scalem.......... to answer your question ( was there one ? ) ::)

Fresh is best, no contest. But not only the fresh content, as elluded to above, the external activities count for so much.

Has anyone found a web site that has a forum for people that induldge in ' shop bought seafood ' ?? ;D :-/ ;D

OH, Greg. I have heard you can actually buy HOOKS and other tackle now. Try a tackle shop........yellow pages might list them. :P Just getting in before TOL.

CHeers Phill

aussiefool
26-01-2007, 02:17 AM
For me if I do not catch it myself then I don't eat it

Feral
26-01-2007, 05:29 AM
snapper, where do you buy those from Brain...I mean Brian ;)
I hope they're local not imported....

What about this spin? ;D
What would you want to buy local for?
Encourages the pros who catch more fish, so there is less there for you to catch!

I say encourage the overseas pro's so the overseas amateurs have less fish to catch!
;)

theoldlegend
26-01-2007, 07:20 AM
LOL..shhhhhhhhhhhh..but will he take the bait

Give it time fellas, give it time. It's only 0720 here. :-/
Wait until after high noon. 8-)

TOL

webby
26-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Give it to him John, he's down the Pin as usually with his feet up and i bet there;s not a hook on board, he'll then come back and say he could catch anything, and blame everything except himself.
regards

theoldlegend
26-01-2007, 08:31 AM
That's right Brian. I've got 3.5 hours approx to think of something, after which the brain will kick right in. He'll probably try and tell us he practices catch and release.

Poor old Greg! I'm starting to feel sorry for him, but I'm sure he can match it with the best.

Lucky Phill: loved your comment about the yellow pages.

TOL

nigelr
26-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Finga - I have also heard, from an old fishing acquaintance now deceased, best to eat fish next day after a night in the fridge/on ice to set the flesh.
I use this idea myself except with tailor, which I prefer to eat same day if possible, unless I put them through the smoker, in which case a night in the fridge is ok.
The old gent I mention apparently used to work in the kitchens of the Australia Hotel in Sydney back in the 30's.
And yes, he knew a thing or two about fishing, also!
Cheers.

blu
26-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Steady on fellers my wife reads these posts with me and i have only just got her convinced fishen isn't fun but hard work
But have to agree with all FRESH IS BEST

finga
26-01-2007, 10:48 AM
That's right Brian. I've got 3.5 hours approx to think of something, after which the brain will kick right in. He'll probably try and tell us he practices catch and release.

Poor old Greg! I'm starting to feel sorry for him, but I'm sure he can match it with the best.

TOL

Oh no It's Friday and DDD for TOL :dizzy:

blaze
26-01-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon1.gif finga
I sort of agree with the ' chefs' theory. That's why I use the ice slurry to hold the fish. Chances are they are caught say Wednesday evening, and they will remain on ice until Thursday arvo, when they are filleted, skinned, de-boned with some being packed for freezing and a lot being cooked that night and maybe some for the next couple of nights.

Rigour mortis does set in and also the ' adreneline ' factor takes an effect on fresh caught fish. Something akin to the new fashion of letting meat ( steaks ) " rest " after cooking.

Scalem.......... to answer your question ( was there one ? ) ::)

Fresh is best, no contest. But not only the fresh content, as elluded to above, the external activities count for so much.

Has anyone found a web site that has a forum for people that induldge in ' shop bought seafood ' ?? ;D :-/ ;D

OH, Greg. I have heard you can actually buy HOOKS and other tackle now. Try a tackle shop........yellow pages might list them. :P Just getting in before TOL.

CHeers Phill

So many M & G's, so little time. Sooo , I'll be there ;)
Hi Phil
mustta missed ya at the tassie M%G, dont give me all that crap about to far. Betta edit ya this little bit just above to I will be there sometimes
LOL
blaze

JEWIENEWIE
26-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Mate, i dont even eat fish! I love the hunt, the chase , the beatiful days or nights on the water. I used to be a chef, i love nothing more than catching a quality fish from bait i caught, wacking it in a slurry, treating it like gold, clean it fillett it, goo and gar at the quality of the flesh the freshness, go out to the herb garden and pick some fresh herbs and cook whoever isaround at the time the most beatiful dish using the best and freshest produce around WHILE I HAVE A STEAK!!!
Jewie

theoldlegend
26-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Oh no It's Friday and DDD for TOL :dizzy:

Yeah mate, you're not wrong!! I'm feeling much better now. ::)

Nothing like a big dose of Coolibah moselle to get the brain cells working. It must be drunk at room temparature mind you, not this woosey stuff where you chill it.

I'm going to put up a post in the "For Sale " section that might interest you.

By the way, I've cleaned out the shed. All the rods are now on pegboard hooks, all spaced equally apart, butts lined up with a spirit level. Looks magnificent! :P

Just ask Gwenda. She's amazed at my talents. :o

TOL

theoldlegend
26-01-2007, 04:18 PM
A further post to mine above.

Tried to put something in the "For Sale" section, but I've been denied access to that particular forum. I don't know why, and I'm dumbfounded, flabbergasted and confused as to why I can't do it. Is there something I should have read first?

Why does this only happen to me?

TOL

snipe
26-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Don't do the calcs mate - its not what we go fishing for. You can't put a price on the places and memories our fishing exploits provide.

Wayne_Red
27-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Sometimes I like to have a seafood gathering weekend for a Sunday night seafood feast.
Friday night, crab traps out.
Saturday morning, snapper fishing.
Sat arvo, check traps and reset.
Sat night, feed of squid around the rocks
Sun morning, crabtraps again and get a heap of oysters off the old leases and bridge pilons.

Sunday night cook it all up - hmmm
Cost - Satisfaction of gathering it all yourself, cooking it the way you like it, having it all fresh Priceless

Regards Wayne

finga
27-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Sometimes I like to have a seafood gathering weekend for a Sunday night seafood feast.
Friday night, crab traps out.
Saturday morning, snapper fishing.
Sat arvo, check traps and reset.
Sat night, feed of squid around the rocks
Sun morning, crabtraps again and get a heap of oysters off the old leases and bridge pilons.

Sunday night cook it all up - hmmm
Cost - Satisfaction of gathering it all yourself, cooking it the way you like it, having it all fresh Priceless

Regards Wayne
Sounds good matey,
What time do you all of us to turn up???
Oh, and where are we turning up to ;)

Ah, just kidding. Sounds good though.

Hey Pinhead, TOL (is that short for The Old Lunnie??) hasn't had a comeback yet. I think the DDD got the better of him this week. :-/

Scalem
27-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Don't do the calcs mate - its not what we go fishing for. You can't put a price on the places and memories our fishing exploits provide.

How true! But it's the bad memories I try to erase.;) I think we all have an occasional bad day, not only because you didn't catch anything, but either you forgot the bungs or the motor ran like a dog, after spending a fortune getting it fixed. I really believe that such things turn people I know into wanna be's. Not referring to anyone on this site, but there are those who become very negative and synical about their fishing. They still have a boat, but find excuses why not to have a trip out. Either there's too much wind, or the moon phase is not right, or the tennis final is on, or whatever the reason, but they may want to go, but the flame for fishing is rapidly extinguished, especially if they convince themselves that the "Pin is fished out and doesn't have anything like it used to" or similar.

I remember being at a fishing seminar held at Lutwyche road, Brisbane. Some guy standing behind my mate and I said " NUP, there's nothing really worth trying for in the Nerang River, the fish are few and far between"
My Mate Alan and I both looked at each other, and nodded " we totally agree with him" ;) The Saturday before I parked over a rocky hole in the Nerang river and we filled the esky with quality bream.

So the point I am making is that no matter what happens, I will resist the temptation of buying seafood over getting out to catch a feed myself, no matter if the previous trip was a complete failure.

On another point - Pinhead - I will have to experience the pleasures of putting my feet up, onboard your glorious boat in preference for wetting a line... I know, it could possibly be torture trying to concentrate on sipping down a red wine when the fish are jumping all around the boat, but I am willing to give it a try!!;) ;) ;D ;D There won't be any complaints of not catching anything. Heck, I just put more fillets in the freezer from Yesterday, you have a barby on board don't you??:o

Scalem

stevedemon
28-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi Scalem
mate i do beleive that i come under that catergory of catching my own before i will buy
have had some bad seafood from some shops an i refuse to pay there prices nowadays
an i always beleive fresh is best as you can never tell just how long the fish has been sitting in the shop for or if it has been frozen
so unless i catch the fish or prawns myself i will not buy from seafood shops

maybe i am getting fussy in my old age:-[ ;D

as well as this if i do have a bad day on the water it is still better to be there than not have a days fishing at all the better days make up for the bad ones;D ;D

Cheers;D ;D
Steve8-) 8-)

tigermullet
28-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Scalem - Pinhead is out in the gin palace causing mayhem at the Pin for a few days;D

Meanwhile I am stuck here trying to find a house for my daughter to buy.

Damn!

Poodroo
28-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Absolutely love the thrill of the chase. The anticipation of not knowing what is down there ready to latch onto the bait is exciting. Feeling that first bit of interest and then whammo, you're onto a good fish. Nothing can beat that and I can never wait until I go out there again. Great fun. Beats standing in queues waiting to be served in the seafood shops and you always know there is nothing fresher than what you catch. Fishing also gives you the advantage of being able to escape from family if they happen to be ticking you off enough (I'm sure Scalem can relate to that):-X ::)

Poodroo

PinHead
28-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I am back...twas a tough weekend TOL....down at Couran Cove for the weekend...arrived friday at about 8am...first beer in hand by 8.30am...stroll round the resort...heiniken or two at the bar...dinner at the restaurant..similar on saturday...home this morning...tackle bag on board and did not even consider fishing..was way too busy enjoying myself doing nothing...sure beats lining up rods on a pegboard...hehe.

PinHead
28-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Scalem - Pinhead is out in the gin palace causing mayhem at the Pin for a few days;D

Meanwhile I am stuck here trying to find a house for my daughter to buy.

Damn!

tis ok tm...did not cause any mayhem this weekend..I was a good boy...tied up at Couran and behaved myself.

tigermullet
28-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Double damn, Pinhead. I was counting on you to provide a bit of excitement.;D

PinHead
28-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Double damn, Pinhead. I was counting on you to provide a bit of excitement.;D
nah mate..I never cause any...just watch it happening around me.

Chimo
28-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey Tiger

Why dont you buy it for her?

Chimo

tigermullet
28-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Because, Chimo, I don't have that much spare cash. I don't think that she would like to live west of Thargomindah on a very tiny block which is about all that I could afford.

The younger generation just isn't into the pioneering bit.;D

PinHead
28-01-2007, 05:00 PM
That's right Brian. I've got 3.5 hours approx to think of something, after which the brain will kick right in. He'll probably try and tell us he practices catch and release...not likely..kill and grill for me thanks

Poor old Greg! I'm starting to feel sorry for him, but I'm sure he can match it with the best. ..you can leave that word out anytime thanks.

TOL

I will have to take you to Caloundra during winter TOL and see if you can jag a fish or two

theoldlegend
28-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Doesn't it get cold in winter? I like my creature comforts, you know.

TOL

PinHead
28-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Doesn't it get cold in winter? I like my creature comforts, you know.

TOL

it gets a little cool...nothing some green ginger doesn't take care of...tis nice..an allnighter in the tinny reeling in some quality bream.

theoldlegend
29-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea to me Greg. I'll have to stock up on soft plastics.

TOL

finga
29-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea to me Greg. I'll have to stock up on soft plastics.

TOL
I didn't know Green-ginger came in squishy soft drink bottles now instead of glass :-/
I hope they're the soft plastics your referring to TOL ;)