PDA

View Full Version : advice on cox craft rumrunner

Wazfish
24-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey all,

can someone give me some advice on cox craft rumrunners, the one that im going to have a look at is a 5.6m halfcab, 1990, i have only seen photos but it looks pretty good to me (even though i know little about glass boats), can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a second hand fiberglass boat?

cheers
Waz

16.2_ISAAC
25-01-2007, 07:39 AM
G'day Waz...my first boat was an early rumrunner..great boat,nice & roomy & good value for money I reakon...the only thing I didnt like was that
it wasnt too good in a following sea,especially if your overtaking a large boat throwing up a big wake..tended to dig in badly...all in all,a pretty good alrounder both offshore & in the bay..
Like all older glass boats check the floor & transom..

rubba
25-01-2007, 11:36 AM
mate i own one of these and i think its pretty good just make sure that the floor is good i have 120 jono on the back and it gets it along great.we fish offshore as well with it and it handles the rough not to bad as waz said they like to dig in a bit

Wazfish
25-01-2007, 07:20 PM
thanks,

is it easy to check the floor and transom? what am i looking for, just soft spots and rot? is there anything else?

cheers
waz

Roughasguts
25-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Cracks, in the hull very long ones, stress cracks fine ones, almost spider web in apearance. Look for patches bog work, discolourations.

Remove the bung housing, see if the ply has gone soft.

So get under the boat and start looking, to check the transom raise the motor half way and put your weight on it and bounce if it flexes, well it shouldn't.

But really if you don't know a heap about boats you should get it inspected, motor compression, wirring check all pumps, fuel tank and hoses for deteriation. Mate the list goes on.

Wazfish
25-01-2007, 10:47 PM
thanks roughasguts,

im not worried about the motor as it 03 yammy 4strk and electrics i could probably do myself. but thanks for the advice on the hull.

cheers
Waz

luckyone
26-01-2007, 06:20 AM
had one and they all go in the back floor area and under the fuel tank as they dont dry out and broach badly in arunning sea. wouldnt buy another one after haveing one and wouldnt advise anyone too buy one in any condition. but thats my 2 bobs worth anyway chears

krazyfisher
26-01-2007, 05:58 PM
most likely no help but I have a coxcraft reefrunner now 18mths old and have found it to be a great boat I would have sold it by now if it was not good, maybe they have changed the design because mine does not broach or dig in.
just thinking the rum runner used to have a differant hull than what it does now but dont know when they changed it

1975fflh
17-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi mate

I have a 1989 model Rumrunner and its a great all rounder I fish outside, in lakes and rivers as well as tow the kids and adults on tube and skis.

They are a great looking boat and as the wife says at least it doesnt look like a trawler, ( keep her happy and you can escape more)

Nice high sides so you dont lose the kids in tight turns.

I would fit a Permatrim or SE sprots hydrofoil to it if it doesnt already have one ($140-180) and it cures any percieved problem with diving etc.

learn about the trim I had to i was used to a tiller steer and it was a bit of a shock when i had trouble steering until some one from Ausfish told me how to trim it, I thought set and forget.

Great boat good luck, dont forget to get the motor checked.

If you want some comparison photos email me?

Wazfish
23-02-2007, 03:08 AM
thanks for the advice people, but unfortunatly the boat sold before i had the chance to look at it.

cheers