PDA

View Full Version : Fins braid on TSS4

Horse
24-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I have some 20lb Fins that I am thinking of throwing on my TSS4 as my 14lb Fireline is well beyond its use by date. Will this work OK or should I go back to Fireline. I am a bit worried about wind knots and stripping loose coils etc. I know it will not lay pretty but will it work?

Neil

Mark-P
24-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Bit of an each way bet there Neil ? I've just start having a bit of trouble
with braid as far as butterflie's go . Specailly in the lighter stuff , i've tried both berkeley & platypus for the same results. The more cast & retreive I do the bigger the knots . May have to go back to mono !!!

Mark

Owen
24-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I have found finns to be far superior to any other braid I've tried as far as castability (is that a word?) and ease of knot tying.
Plus when I do get a birdsnest (often) it comes out easily.

cheers,
Owen

land-lubber
24-01-2007, 08:52 PM
mono is probably the way to go on the tss4s as they dont lay the braid well and get significant linetwist (causes knots)

Horse
24-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I have used the fireline for over 6 years with few issues. Be interesting how the Fins would handle. It is a much different feeling line

Tangles
24-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Bugger, just bought a TSS4 and put some Fireline on it the other day (hoping to spin for some Tailor) after only ever using Alveys and mono... anyway Ill see how I go. Ive never used braid before, knowing me ill probably get a birdnest of pre-historic proportions

cheers
Mike

webby
24-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Go the mono on the tss4, best by far for staying connected and its give you the little xtra shock aborbing
regards

Horse
25-01-2007, 05:13 AM
I would go mono if I was just spinning for Macs etc in the Bay but it is mainly used for surf spinning and the low drag of the braid makes it much easier for me. On a descent Maccy those head shakes always give me a bit of concern. I have a second spool for mono and this will be probably on for next week so I don't drop too many fish ;)

Neil

childers
25-01-2007, 07:19 AM
g'day horse ,heres a little trick for you that will double life of your line- walk out side with your outfit ,tie line to something ,walk your rod up street untill line is all off spool, now all your line is stretched out in a big line ,now go back to where you tied the worn end and tie this back on to your reel ,wind on all worn line will get burried first in spool the other half of your line should be like brand new ,hope this helps i do this when my line gets worn ,cheers.

Roo
25-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Probably the most common reason for wind knots on a high speed spinning reel is if the line is not wound on fully tight. I reckon this happens when you're burning a slug in across the surface and it jumps out, you can get line wound onto the spool quite loose. You'll hear line slapping the blank as your winding flat out. this is where it can go ar$e up when you pound out the next big cast. Not always, but when the fish are boiling all around you is when it happens:-[.

I've had less problems with 10lb Finns than with mono for this:-/. The Mono may have been a bit new and the spool over filled a little, but I soon lost interest in putting mono back on my spare spool and ended up replacing it with 20lb braid intsead

but thats me, and i dont have a TSS4.

cheers, roo.

cammac
25-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I dont get it - I thought braid was the u beaut answer to every fishermans probs - I thought one of its advantage was it was thinner for a given line weight therefore more limp than equivalent mono - a good quality 20 lb mono sits ok on a reel why shouldnt 20lb braid ???!!