PDA

View Full Version : Snyder Glas worth it?

Poodroo
23-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey there all. I have a Snyder Glas estuary rod that is just sitting in storage and has not seen any action for a great many years due to having a broken guide. The thought I have had is whether or not to rebuild this fine rod with Fuji guides? I know I can probably buy complete new rod for the same dollars but this rod is something special and has one of the best actions suited to estuary fishing. Does anyone out there know the brand and can give advice as to whether it would be worth doing or not? I know that once upon a time Snyder Glas were a reputable and respected rod. Look forward to any advice.

Regards,

Poodroo

P.S. According to Snyder Glas rods these are the 10 best ways you can break a rod.

Snyder Glas Fishing Rods and Blanks
THE TEN BEST WAYS TO BREAK A ROD

There are plenty of ways to break a fishing rod, especially a very light stick or one made from graphite or boron. However, very few of these catastrophes have anything to do with hooking and landing fish. Rods rarely break under the 'normal' strain of fishing and most failures can be traced directly to a mistake on the part of the operator.
Check the following list for the best ways to break a rod:-

1. Step on it.

2.Slam a car door on it.

3. Break snagged line through the rod.

4. Fall over with, or onto, your rod.

5. Hit a branch or rock while casting

6. Leave the tip protruding beyond a boat's gunwhale.

7. Stick it in an overhead fan.

8. Trust it to an airline, bus company or carrier without a protective tube.

9. Pick it up by the tip.

10. Lend it to a mate

rick k
23-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Add travel with a sinker rigged on the line and flogging on the blank, and David Green wrote a heartwrenching story involving a remote controlled garage door recently.

I have a mate in Melbourne who is fairly competent with rod building, alas too far away for me to use often.

He rebuilt a baitcaster rod for me. He changed the synthetic pistol grip to cork, and redid the bindings with original runners that were on the rod, but with minimalist bindings. Unbelievably different rod, which is exactly what he said, but which I did not believe until I had the rod in my hands.

So, replace just that runner with something consistent with the rest of the rod, or if 'feel' or 'castability' are important, there is probably room for improvement. What is left is to work out the dollars and see what you can buy new that is as good.

And if you get a rebuild or a newby, then get one of those jungle cock feather decorations. Gawd I love them. Please don't tell me that the bird is endangered or similar.

sleepygreg
23-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Poodroo,
I have been building rods on snyderglass blanks for years.....they are tough as....and reliable. If it is a blank that does exactly what you want it to do....get it re wrapped with Fuji guides....they are still the best....and enjoy it for years to come. The beauty is that there are now so many more great guides on the market from fuji that they can make that blank even better.
Cheers
Greg

finga
24-01-2007, 03:40 PM
rebuild then sit back with a beer and admire :)

Poodroo
24-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Well I guess you just helped me make up my mind. The action on this rod is second to none so I will go and put some new Fuji guides on it and then take up Finga's suggestion and sit back with a beer to admire it.

Thanks guys,

Poodroo

Scalem
24-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I wish I still had mine .... Glug..... glug

roz
24-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm building one ATM and one of my favourite trolling rods was a snyder glas...and yes! I broke it!!!!! bugga.

Don't get too precious about brands, if you like a particular rod that's all that counts, the fish can't tell the difference.

Go for it!!

roz.

Poodroo
25-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks Roz. Actually I was talking to Greg (Pinhead) at the last M&G at Great_White and Herm's place and they were talking about another rod building M&G at their place (hint hint) :D I actually thought about my Snyder Glas rod and the possibility of bringing it along and stripping all the old guides off and putting on the Fuji guides. This particular rod I used to leave in a rod holder and it never missed the fish because of its action. It had a fair bit of flex which let the fish swim away with the bait and then it whipped back and almost always the fish were hooked up all on their own. Would love to start using it again.

Regards,

Poodroo

zealot
29-01-2007, 10:35 PM
i have been building rods for 30 years , my first rod was a synder 3 wrap 9ft , i still have this synder glass rod which is a regular part of the arsenal in the boat when ever were fishing for whiting. only build and fun and repairs now. still amazed that i see the same synder glass rods year after year. some i built 10-15years ago. saw a 9ft synder in the shop the other day $75.00

Poodroo
29-01-2007, 10:42 PM
i have been building rods for 30 years , my first rod was a synder 3 wrap 9ft , i still have this synder glass rod which is a regular part of the arsenal in the boat when ever were fishing for whiting. only build and fun and repairs now. still amazed that i see the same synder glass rods year after year. some i built 10-15years ago. saw a 9ft synder in the shop the other day $75.00

Are they as good as they used to be? I really cannot fault this one. Mine would be closer to a 11-12 foot I think.

Poodroo

zealot
29-01-2007, 10:54 PM
if its a three wrap they get softer with age which made them a deadly whiting rod .my last rebuild was 5 years ago and used the rod rod last weekend at donnybrook for a pb whiting 38 cm . answer no they just get better.
ps i first built this rod when i was 16 , now 47

Poodroo
30-01-2007, 04:49 PM
if its a three wrap they get softer with age which made them a deadly whiting rod .my last rebuild was 5 years ago and used the rod rod last weekend at donnybrook for a pb whiting 38 cm . answer no they just get better.
ps i first built this rod when i was 16 , now 47

Mate I don't know about a deadly whiting rod but I know it is lethal on Flatties and Bream. :)

Poodroo

rockfisho
02-02-2007, 05:41 PM
We've got a couple of old snyders that have been repaired a few times, and work a treat. I met Gary Howard (professional rod builder) at the boat show and he uses Snyder Glas blanks, and holds them in high regard.
definately worth rebuilding.

Although i don't really like the way they have built their newer 2 peice rods with the bottom ferrule on the top section.

rockfisho

Poodroo
02-02-2007, 06:42 PM
We've got a couple of old snyders that have been repaired a few times, and work a treat. I met Gary Howard (professional rod builder) at the boat show and he uses Snyder Glas blanks, and holds them in high regard.
definately worth rebuilding.

Although i don't really like the way they have built their newer 2 peice rods with the bottom ferrule on the top section.

rockfisho

I am taking mine to the Rod Building M&G in May and going to give it a new lease of life. Mine is a one piece rod 11 1/2 foot. I used to use it off the rocks and it was my best rod for pure numbers of fish caught. The blank is still in near perfect condition and I am so looking forward to seeing it like new again. It has never had good guides on it so this time I am going to do it right and put some Fuji guides on it.

Regards,

Poodroo

sleepygreg
03-02-2007, 01:01 AM
would be good to have a M&G with a rep from frogleys there so we could really discuss guides and so forth.

Greg

rubba
19-02-2007, 07:22 PM
peolpe pull stick out of tree wrapped vine around it and still caught fish

bootyou
10-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Did you get around to repairing this rod?

gr hilly
10-05-2010, 09:11 AM
i just had my snyder re done with fugi and mate i love them i have 3 of them over 20 yrs old and love them if you do it up you will be a happy man
glynn

Scalem
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Did you get around to repairing this rod?

I beleive he did, but he might be a while replying as he doesn't get on AF very often these days. Who knows he might be interested in selling it, he's mostly soft plastics fishing these days. If there is a message you want me to pass on I'll let him know.

Scalem

finga
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Why can't you use the Snyder with plastics?

Scalem
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Why can't you use the Snyder with plastics?

Ermm ...... well Scott, put it side by side with the rod custom built for plastics that he has, use both of them for a day, then ask me the same question.

There is No comparison - catch rate, sensitivity, ease of casting, user experience with a light custom graphite rod compared to the weight of the old glass rod ....

But you might still catch fish with the Snyder using plastics, but it's very different, especially in a boat where a plastics rod is generally around the 7ft length.

Scalem

PinHead
12-05-2010, 06:33 PM
what is so special about graphite rods?
I use Snyder rods for bream fishing every winter...9' raiders..and I'll back myself against a plastics fisho on an overnight trip to Caloundra anytime.

Fishing really is getting a bit stupid in some aspects..you have to have this type of rod and this type of reel with this line on it and this type of jighead and this type of lure..all a big yawn really. It is supposed to be a relaxing pastime not a bloody catalogue of every type of tackle known to man. I could not even name the models of reels I have...totally inconsequential and irrelevant IMO.

finga
12-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Ermm ...... well Scott, put it side by side with the rod custom built for plastics that he has, use both of them for a day, then ask me the same question.

There is No comparison - catch rate, sensitivity, ease of casting, user experience with a light custom graphite rod compared to the weight of the old glass rod ....

But you might still catch fish with the Snyder using plastics, but it's very different, especially in a boat where a plastics rod is generally around the 7ft length.

Scalem
What was that rod he was building? I can't remember now as it was that long ago.
So what weight is a plastics rod?
How well balanced is the plastics rod?
To me a balanced rod is far more important then weight.
And a rod that can take the accidental knock isn't too bad as well.

I with you Pinhead. Give me a SnyderGlas and a 4" Alvey and a bucket of chook gut and let me at them.
I seem to remember a bit of a contest between the users of these plastic do-dads and the stinky bait brigade.
It's called the River to Mud.
What's the win rate for plastics as compared to the stinky bait fisho's over the years??

I have a couple of C108L's to build up. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
And I'm finishing a SnyderGlas that has a carbon fibre top and fiberglass bottom.

Scalem
12-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Back to your question Scott, Why can't you use the Snyder with Plastics - so I anwered your question. If you use plastics on a Snyder you don't seem to get the same result. That's my answer.

Keep using bait!! With a Snyder rod, at night at Caloundra chasing bream that will work a treat, I agree Greg.

Scalem

theoldlegend
19-05-2010, 05:03 PM
What was that rod he was building? I can't remember now as it was that long ago.
So what weight is a plastics rod?
How well balanced is the plastics rod?
To me a balanced rod is far more important then weight.
And a rod that can take the accidental knock isn't too bad as well.

I with you Pinhead. Give me a SnyderGlas and a 4" Alvey and a bucket of chook gut and let me at them.
I seem to remember a bit of a contest between the users of these plastic do-dads and the stinky bait brigade.
It's called the River to Mud.
What's the win rate for plastics as compared to the stinky bait fisho's over the years??

I have a couple of C108L's to build up. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
And I'm finishing a SnyderGlas that has a carbon fibre top and fiberglass bottom.

Scott, I'm guessing that a C108L is 9' long and maybe a 3 wrap? That'd be nice and light.

I got a 4132 made some years ago, and matched to a 550 Alvey, it seems to be very well balanced.

TOL

finga
19-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Scott, I'm guessing that a C108L is 9' long and maybe a 3 wrap? That'd be nice and light.

I got a 4132 made some years ago, and matched to a 550 Alvey, it seems to be very well balanced.

TOL
Yes, it's nice and light and very sensitive John.
I actually want to build it up for our little fishing trip.
And I thought a 5" Alvey too.
Might even try plastics with the Snyder and Alvey and see how I go.
Na. On second thoughts I'll drown a prawn instead.
At least I'm assured of a fish then. :cool:

Scalem
28-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, it's nice and light and very sensitive John.
I actually want to build it up for our little fishing trip.
And I thought a 5" Alvey too.
Might even try plastics with the Snyder and Alvey and see how I go.
Na. On second thoughts I'll drown a prawn instead.
At least I'm assured of a fish then. :cool:

Been a while since I did that kind of fishing, good value using a light blank at night for bream and stuff. I am considering selling my Estuary Live Fibre but can't bare to, too many good memories around that style of fishing even though I am mostly plastics these days.

rockfisho
28-05-2010, 04:37 PM
to the day adrian stopped making them, they were still awesome in my opinion. I went there just before he shut and managed to pick up a Ft8144 1 off blank. Will be my heavy rock outfit. So in my opinion, certainly would be worth re-doing.

my grandfather's old tailor rod is a snyder s6153ft, i think, its an absolute ripper.
cheers

Owen

Tangles
28-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Have an old two piece Synder Rock Raider DLX sitting at home, geez that brings back memories

finga
28-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Have an old two piece Synder Rock Raider DLX sitting at home, geez that brings back memories
Stuff the old memories Mike.
Make some new memories and use the bugger :)

Tangles
29-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Couldnt agree with you more,