PDA

View Full Version : Need help ? about fish

tony135
23-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I am new to fishing and would like to know what size hook and sinker to use to catch a flathead and also fishing off the bank does rod size matter , Thanks

1rabbit
23-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Tony135,

Fishing can be a simple thing, or it can be as complicated as you want it to be.

A simple flathead rig is a 1/0 long shank hook, 18 inches of line to a swivel, & a sinker behind that( size depending on what current you are fishing in, usually the smaller the better).

As long as you can cast far enough, size of rod doesn't matter.

Muzz

stevedemon
24-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi tony135

mate fishing for flathead is easy or hard as you like as stated a 1/0 long shank if using Yabbies or Worms if using pillies i normally us a 2/0 mustard double gang hooks with a 30cm trace line to swivel an depend on current as light as possible with sinker allow sinker to hit the bottom but be able to move with the tide slowly i us half pillies gang hook through pillies with tail finishing at line end a half hich over the tail/ head start from meaty end and finish at eye or you can ask at your local tackle shop which lures work will from the bank on a flick an retreive

hope this helps an good fishing

Cheers;D ;D
Steve8-) 8-)

roz
24-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Muz is pretty right, I would go a bit bigger with the hook size, but long shank is a must.

As for sinker size, probably will depend on how much current but always fish as light as possible.

The rod size .... what ever you have handy??? 4-6kg 6' estuary rod as a rough guide.

Flathead seem to eat just about anything...but small live bait is good. Cast and retrieve SPs, from personal experience they produce well.

good luck

r.

Mrs Ronnie H
25-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi Tony
I fished the river mostly all the time for flatties and have hooked a few good ones( release of course).
I used size 3/0 mustad hooks- only two gang, leader of about 30cm and small size sinker above the swivel, rod was a 5' signature series.(shimano0 This seemed to work pretty well.
I have caught smaller flatties on whiting hooks at times and real light gear.
From the bank it doesn't matter what type of rod. i have a Light silstar 2-4kg with okuma spin reel and this is great for SP's.
Bait I used pilies in half but caught my biggest flattie on a piece of steak. good for bream to.

Ronnie h

Ausfish
25-01-2007, 11:20 AM
You may also want to look in the Hints N Tips section of the website
http://www.ausfish.com.au/info.shtml

There is a section there on Becoming a Better Fisherman with a section on Flathead.

Also plenty of help and advice here on the chat boards