PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water

INDULGENCE
23-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi can anyone shed some light on this freezing cold water we have off the central coast NSW .Its been around now for about 4 weeks.

Heard all the experts say its the nor east winds blowing the surface causing an upwelling of cold water and algae.
Find that hard to believe.

We had an algae bloom of green then red with the cold water.
Visability down to about 1 m but when you can see them the fish are there just not interested in feeding.
My voice is starting to change as my family jewels spend more time hiding even with 5mm suit.:-[

Its not unusual to have the nor easter blow constantly at this time of year but the cold water for such a long period is strange.
There is decent water at 70 fathom line but its a bit hard to dive in that depth and with the wind up all night its a bit hard to fish.

Any thoughts

Wally

gone_fishing
24-01-2007, 03:45 PM
thats what ive been told the constant wind is moving the surface water away causing the colder water to come to the surface
beach really:-X sand to hot water to colollddd :(

fish_a_holic
25-01-2007, 06:37 AM
I live in Wollongong and have had the same water conditions for the past few weeks. Heading out fishing tomorrow morning, so hope that there will be a few fish around.

2 weeks ago the water seemed to be warming up but then bang it went cold again. From last weekends 35 degrees to jumping into the ocean of around 15-20 degrees is far too cold and gives an instant ice cream headache.

Lets hope its not to long a wait for the warm water to return.

Marlin_Mike
25-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Wouldnt the cold water current bring the fish back on? I mean snapper etc?

Mike

nigelr
25-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Have to agree re the nor'easters bringing the cold water up.
Here at Urunga, we have had this cold water for the last few weeks at least, started to look good then in came the cold green/brown rubbish.
Hopefully it will fade out next month, and we will be able to join our Qld cousins catching mackeral!
Sure isn't anything much hereabouts fish-wise either on the beaches, rocks or inshore, an old mate of mine in his 60's reckons its the worst summer he's seen.
Whats that saying, drought on the land, drought in the sea?
Hopefully it's just a short term phenomenon, and not a longer term trend!
Cheers.

fish_a_holic
25-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Well hopefully the snapper will be there but the kingfish are not as abundant anymore.

INDULGENCE
25-01-2007, 01:32 PM
The problem I have is the Nor Easters blow ever summer and whilst we get some cold water usually in November we dont get it all summer and with the amount of algae in it.
I fished last night out to 50m and its 17.8 c all the way with green shitty water, the water has little purple jellyfish through it and lots of schools of cowan young/yellowtail on steroids. No sign of snapper or reasonable size kingfish.
wally

Tony_N
26-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Went out from Evans Head yesterday. In close (Italian Ground) 20-21 degrees. Green/grey water, lots of algae. Despite that, got a good feed of trag, some flathead bycatch at the sandy end of the drift, and some (returned) barely legal squire. Guy at the cleaning tables told me it was 25 degrees at the 48's. No pelagics except for kingies- also snapper and pearlies.

Tony

INDULGENCE
29-01-2007, 07:20 AM
whinge and win it works
The cold water went by the weekend and the water proceeded to clean up,it just got better overnight.
Friday started out with green water but warm and a few fish by Sunday it was warm and clear both the fishing in the morning was good and the diving late afternoon was even better.
sometimes it pays to whinge to the Ausfish god.
PS: still dont know what caused the cold water
Wally

Dory4.1
02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I was swimming at Maroochydore last weekend and the water was warm except for pockets of really cold water that drifted past, and then warm water again. I thought it strange that there could be such a differential in the water temp!

Rgs
Michael

Owen
03-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I was swimming at Maroochydore last weekend and the water was warm except for pockets of really cold water that drifted past, and then warm water again. I thought it strange that there could be such a differential in the water temp!

Rgs
Michael

You do know that fish pee in the water? ::)
cheers,
Owen