PDA

View Full Version : Billfish Tournament

sleepygreg
23-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I dont know if this is the correct board, mods if it isnt please move it, but the Moreton Bay 8kg Billfish Challenge is on next weekend. This is one of the biggest game fishing tournaments in southern queensland. It is hosted by the Moreton Bay Boat Club Game and Sportfishing Section. For a top weekend of fishing and fun give our chairman a ring for an entry form ....Simon Fletcher.....0419 393860. If you cant get him ...ring me...greg..on 0407 010 957. Dont be put off ny the entry fee, the kit you get well exceeds that value.....and some of the prizes are brilliant. Its open to all boats and there are under and over 7m categories. Juniors are well catered for too. And a lady won it last year!!!!!!!!

please note ....this is a tag and release tournament for billfish and is a QGFA sanctioned event.(gotta be up front with this stuff).

Any questions give Simon or me a ring.

Cheers
Greg

reel scream
23-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi greg,

Do you have to be a member of a fishing club to enter? Are you allowed to keep Bycatch (Wahoo , Dollies) ?

Cheers Scott.

ooglie74
23-01-2007, 05:24 PM
You have to be a member of a queensland gamefishing affilliated club or a international game fishing club.You can temporarly join the redcliffe club on the briefing nite which is thursday nite at the moreton bay boat club at scarborough.

It is a 8kg line class competition so you have to use 8kg or less.If you use line under 8kg it is classed as 8kg for anything you catch.Fish Can be kept such as dolphinfish yellowfin tuna wahoo mackeral and the like.They will be awarded tag pints if you tag them or if you wish to wiegh them they must be over hte line class 8kg.

sleepygreg
23-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ooglie, was a bit tired when i posted that last night. It will cost you $27 to join QGFA(if you arent already a member) and $15 to join the fishing club(if you arent already a member). The tournament entry fee is $175 per person.....but like i said the kit you get makes it worthwhile. The Boat club has waived the rule that you have to be a member of the boat club to join the fishing club - for this tournament. The facilities are first class and you have the oppportuntiy to meet many like minded fishos. Most of the ppl fishing are not JUST game fishos, they like their piscatorial tucker too. You can still win prizes by catching decent Longtail, Cobes, Fin, Hoo......you dont have to tag em you can weigh em......just make sure they go the line class......and please make sure your fishing with QGFA regulation tackle.......it will be checked.

This really is a top weekend......and the dinners at the club and the preso breakfast on sunday morn are worth being in the tournament for......for a token fee ya can bring the family along for a feed.

Cheers
Greg

reel scream
24-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks Guys.Sound good. Will it be run at a similar time next year? Have left it too short- work etc.

Cheers Scott.

ooglie74
24-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes reel scream it is on the sam weekend every year.There is normally upwards of 20 boats fishing it.I think there was around 35-40 last year.Great competition with great prizes,The last man standing prize in a 52 inch plasma tv.There is a number of large and small boats in it,Fascination 2 is fishing it.The fishing club itself is the largest in southern qld with around 200 members

reel scream
24-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks ooglie74. If possible could you PM me some info/phone number on how to join the fishing/boat club.

Cheers scott.

Smithy
25-01-2007, 10:41 AM
The fishing club itself is the largest in southern qld with around 200 members.

That old chesnut. Might want to check with SCGFC and GCGFC first as far as QGFA clubs go. As for fishing clubs in general Blue Fins with 5,000 members get a seat in Sunfish on their membership alone.

sleepygreg
29-01-2007, 01:10 AM
who is blue fins?

Blueroo
01-02-2007, 10:30 PM
I hope the comp went well.
Next year I hope I can dig up a deckie/cohort to enter in the under 7m category.
My wife and I wound up having an Aussie day lunch in the club rather than fishing. A very pleasant and friendly way to spend Australia Day. ;D

I'm a proud member of the MBBC and recommend the club very highly to anyone.

Cheers
Stu

sleepygreg
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Stu,
I am a full member of the MBBC as well....you shouldnt have any probs getting someone to fish with you. There are many members who dont have boats and would love a chance to go out in the big briny.

Greg