PDA

View Full Version : Possum in boat

Ron173
21-01-2007, 04:24 PM
G,Day all,

I've recently had a possum visiting my boat at night, (been finding droppings inside boat) I guess its thinking with my cover on its a nice nest area.

Cover has a high bit for ski pole so it gets under there.

I'm not too keen on it nesting in there, n poss ripping up my upholstery for nesting material.

Anyone got any suggestions how to deter it?

Like put something in boat they dont like, but pref something I'm not going to find offensive either.

Any suggestions appreciated

Ron

Roughasguts
21-01-2007, 04:57 PM
As far as I know they don't like light. So get a fluro and an extension lead, and turn that on at night or better still get a timer.

In a few days or nights when ever it gets in there it might hopfully move on.

Chimo
21-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Ron

Can you borrow a possum trap from one of the local pest controllers or state govt? With a baited trap on the transom or even the grnd behind the boat you should be able to catch the little fellow and then you can relocate him. Then do it again to get the next one and let them both go in the same place; miles from your boat.

There was a bloke caller Peter the Possum Man who used to do this be I'm sure he let them go about 50 m from where he caught them so he could charge to catch the same animals over and over! Sort of like the ideal renewable resource!

Good luck with it

Cheers

Chimo

disorderly
21-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey Ron,
You dont own a dog,do you.We have 2 and about the only problem we have with furry little critters is removing the mangled carcasses in the morning.(mostly white tailed rats and bandicoots though).

Cheers and happy hunting
Scott

snasman
21-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey m8 I usually use a long sleeved welding glove if you can corner him and as its been stated relocate him at least a few kilometers away the little buggers have a great sense of direction.

__________________________________________________ __________

No animals where harmed in the typing of this post.

Blackened
21-01-2007, 06:36 PM
G'day
anyone have de ja vu of the whiteants thread?

Dave

PinHead
21-01-2007, 06:51 PM
my ridgeback makes quick work of them

Ron173
21-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for replies, I got a dog which attacks most things, unfortunately blue tongues is its favourite, but it doesnt seem to be chasing the possum.

Might tie her to back of boat for a few nights!

The light sounds good too.

Neighbour had a possum in his chimney prob same one! some bloke from wires caught it n let it go across the road..... duh.

Blackened...... no thanks not going there with all that drama on the whiteants thread!!

I'll sit up n get the little bugger before that.

Off to set my light n cranky bitch (dog!) maybe I shouldnt feed her tonight!

Thanks guys

Rgds

Ron

saurian
21-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Suppose you can't just shoot it as it might hole your boat.
Get a trap and take the possum to your mother in laws after you catch it, and let it go.
Other than that make sure possum doesn't feel comfortable about going into boat , ie; no food , no shelter set up cans on fishing line to scare it etc ...
Shot my boat with buckshot trying to get slithering thing.
Ta.

Mrs Ronnie H
22-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Ron
Only a possum--- sounds alot better than the red bellied black i had on board.
If you ring wildlife NPWS they will come and remove the little bugger for you.

Cheers
Ronnieh

bj
22-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Mate I had a similar problem with a possum living in a brick pillar of my boat shed, it also was eating the young fronds on my palm trees. I found that getting a bottle of Naphthalene flakes from the supermarket @ putting half a hand full in some old panty hose & tying off the ends I hung a couple off the fronds & put the same in the brick pillar got rid of him. He is still around but living in the neighbours palm tree, hasn't been back on the pillar or my palms since.Worth a go.

Ron173
22-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks BJ,

will give it a go too

Ron

Eagle
22-01-2007, 11:04 AM
I have possums here at home that can be/are a real pest. They eat all the garden plants and rip open the plastic rubbish bags and check out all the goodies. I checked out how to remove them and was told (by the NPWL if I remember) that possums are strictly local teritorians. If they are removed to another place even if its just 2 or 3 klms away, they will not survive. The best way to deter them is as shown above, use the napthalene moth balls. This also works to keep me away. I will NEVER come out in your boat if it smells of moth balls. I cant breathe and choke up from the slightest fume from them. :-X Wont have them anywhere here at home. (on 26 acres)
Eagle

Ron173
22-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Eagle,

jeez these napalm moth balls sound wild eh!

Might try a bit of each, but poss best one is the flouro in the boat on a timer, with just random settings thru night. I can imagine it will s$%t itself if the light comes on next to it, and hopefully bugger off and not come back.

I'm not fussed its in my property, just not in my boat. although that said the damn thing makes a racket if it runs over my roof, also heard it squawking big style a few times, sounds like its being killed (no such luck) like cats fighting but worse, I think its prob been confronted by a cat, neighbour has one.

Thanks to the post I'm armed with a few ideas to disuade it from my boat now.

Thanks

Ron

Angla
22-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Another thought is to give the possum a better house to live in. I think if you ring Brisbane Forest Park they can give you the dimensions for building a great possom box. Lure the little critter in there with some fruit scraps and then you can add more boxes as the family expands. I think the idea of the light in the boat sounds like a good deterrent also.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Roughasguts
22-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Ron another thought, if the light don't work. Put some load doof' doof music in there. Borrow the disc from any young bloke with a WRX Subaroo.
Be enough to p!ss me off.