PDA

View Full Version : Why do you work on your own boat??

finga
20-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I have always been amazed at the skills, and tenacity shown by a lot of Ausfish members when it comes to doing their own repairs and modifications to their own boats. A lot of these people had no skills before they started working on their boat and in the end they end up with a humdinger of a boat.
I have always been in awe of Blaze's and Grand Marlin's (to name just a couple) knowledge and craftsmanship. I have much respect for poor old Smelly for his tenacity in trying something new and different and eventually getting the better of any problem. I read with great respect the numerous builds/rebuilds of glass or plate boats and the modification of boats of all descriptions.
So. Why do you do any work on your boat whether it be just maintenance, services, completely build or modify your boat??

Or, what skills or equipment would you love to have so you can do some work on your boat?? What would you like to do to your boat??

Personally I work on my boats for many reasons.
(a) gratification in doing something I can use reliably and with ease so I can enjoy my pastime with no bad thoughts or hesitations in the back on my mind.
(b) monitory reasons (I'm broke :-/ )
(c) I don't trust any other bugger to touch my boats from unpleasant past experiences
(d) I don't really know what I need in or from my boats until I try something new. If it's good it stays...if it's bad it gets tossed into the scrap heap.
(e) I get really, really, really bored since I knocked off working so it's either tinker or go nutso :-[ to name a few reasons.

So start explaining all

Cheers Scott :)

murf
20-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Personally I work on my boats for many reasons.
(a) gratification in doing something I can use reliably and with ease so I can enjoy my pastime with no bad thoughts or hesitations in the back on my mind.
(b) monitory reasons (I'm broke :-/ )
(c) I don't trust any other bugger to touch my boats from unpleasant past experiences
(d) I don't really know what I need in or from my boats until I try something new. If it's good it stays...if it's bad it gets tossed into the scrap heap.
(e) I get really, really, really bored since I knocked off working so it's either tinker or go nutso :-[ to name a few reasons.

So start explaining all

You got me in one go Scott thats a ditto :D

Always loved pulling things to pieces to see how they work. 18 years of repairing underground coalmine machinery (electrical fitter mechanic) so its in the blood to do my own repairs/mods

Cheers Murf

finga
20-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Always loved pulling things to pieces to see how they work. 18 years of repairing underground coalmine machinery (electrical fitter mechanic) so its in the blood to do my own repairs/mods
Cheers Murf
Must be something about that trade. I'm also an electrical fitter/mechanic :D

Angla
20-01-2007, 08:49 PM
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Electrical fitter mechanic

Chris

PinHead
20-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't do anything to my boats myself..I have a shortage of time to even get out on them let alone spend time working on them.

kingtin
20-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I've never been a handy man having joined the mob at 15 and no old man to show me how to do things prior to that.

I seem to learn as I tackle things but mechanical stuff has me stuffed. I've got the tinny just how I wanted it and putting a floor in it was a major task for me but I enjoyed figuring out how to do it.

It takes me ages to pluck up the courage to tackle things, but once I get stuck in, I love every minute of it. Just finished installing 3 x 1000l water tanks today, and plumbing 'em together was a learning experience.............learned a few new words too whilst I was trying to saw the downpipe off ::)

I love the Aussie "shed mentality" and how blokes tackle jobs themselves here..........in the UK most blokes call in tradesmen for the most mediocre of jobs.

I have the utmost respect for Ross (Colac Girl's) hubby, who is dyslexic yet can turn his hand to most anything, like rebuilding Play Pen and his outboard....how he manages doing that kind of stuff without being able to read manuals has me gobsmacked:o He's taught me heaps and encouraged me to tackle jobs I otherwise wouldn't have dreamed of doing. .........couldn't even wire a dual battery system or change the bearings till I met him.

Yes, I love tinkering about now..........I think the more you try to do your own jobs and succeed, the more you want to try modifying your rig in other ways............it's not called "messing about in boats" for nothing:)

kev

Fat Chilli
20-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Finga; As you stated, gratification, monetary savings, along with the old fashioned Aussie ideal of "Just having a crack at it myself".

My boat is a 05 model and since purchase (second hand) I have re-wired components, installed the in-dash sounder, several rod holders, re-glassed and then re-drilled the dash for better guage layout, modified and re-trimmed a side panel, installed several lights, modified the bait board (tap, drain etc. and tomorrow I will be applying some gel-coat for the first time to fix the holes from an incorrectly located transducer.
My neighbour has helped out heaps with guidance throughout most of the work and will be again tomorrow, helps that he's a Shipwright. :-).

Plus it's fun.

Kleyny
20-01-2007, 09:28 PM
its hard to trust some-else to work on your pride and joy.
most of the time you can do the work better and as you want it.
mechanic by trade always helps

neil

23-sharkcat
20-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Kingtin,
What is you trade/job?

bdm56
20-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Similar reasons to above, but mainly even though it soaks up valuable fishing time I know it has "been done right". That and particularly with the motor I know everything inside out and therefore what to expect.

Just finished 5 days of complete strip and reassemble 4 year old motor for complete maintenance. Only thing untouched was power head and gearbox internals.

Chunk of my holidays gone but saved a load of $ and will need only normal maintaining for at least rest of year or two. ;D

kingtin
20-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Kingtin,
What is you trade/job?

Home duties (Autistic boy and foster carer).

Had lots of jobs but no "trades". Pub manager, security, milko, Film processor (printing trade), Photographer, bus driver, Adventure training Instructor, Deckie (charters)......and on and on.........never really settled after the mob.

kev

Barnacle Billy
20-01-2007, 11:11 PM
you put the finga right on it Finga!

Trust no-one, learn and have fun!

Smelly has been thru the ringer (now banned from this forum forever because of one innocent mistake) but has probably got a very reliable donk now and he would be a great deal more confidence when out at sea - thanks to all you guys...

rick k
21-01-2007, 02:57 AM
a bit hard for me to put into words, but here goes.

For the $$ I have spent, my fishing does not make sense. We could eat fish out somewhere flash and still be ahead.

Working on the boat and tackle myself is part of the fun, and adds 'merit' to the occasional success.

While it is fun at my level of project, looking at some of the projects written about here, I'm in awe :-0

aussiefool
21-01-2007, 07:02 AM
The reason I work on my boat my self is easy.... No money ......

Ever since I was a boy I enjoyed pulling things apart just to see how they worked, I still remember being 9 and being over the moon when someone would give me a broken alam clock and I would pull it apart and get it working again.

Roughasguts
21-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Why do I work on anything, cause they break.
If nothing broke I wouldn't work on it.

But growing up in the sticks, if something broke down well that's where it stayed, until rusted in to the ground. No ones going to come out and fix it. So you get off your arse and have a go your self. Otherwise there be no seeding no Harvest, = No money.

Trouble is I enjoyed it, but now nothing of mine breaks.

Might buy a briggs and stratton rotary hoe. They always break down.

Chimo
21-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Why, because of the satisfaction it gives and the learning that takes place with each job and so that if i breakdown I have a better chance of being able to work out why is it so and then fix it it. Also doing as much as I can as often as I can then have a better idea of when to cal it quits and pay an expert to do things I cannot or choose not to.

Also as RAG said above when your in the bush and rip a tie rod off on a stump its nice to know that a couple of pieces of wire and a short length of branch is all you need to get you home!

Pity this doesn't work at sea but then thats why you have two motors

Chimo

Sea-Dog
21-01-2007, 08:59 AM
I do my own work primarily because I am a bit of a tightwad ;D

Apart from that, it's a confidence thing.

If I have pulled it apart and put it together, I have at least a bit of an idea what is wrong, and how to fix it.

Much better than staring at something and thinking - what the hell is that? - I've not seen that before ! !:-/

Also, when you run into problems during fixing/modifying something - you get to make the choice of what happens next. Rather than somebody else making the decision for you.

I've done it for years on cars, plumbing, appliances, boats, whatever (apart from things that need special equipment that I couldn't justify buying). I will continue to do so, until they pry my screwdriver and shifter from my cold lifeless fingers. ;D

Sea-Dog

stevedemon
21-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi all
well Finga mate if it was'nt for the help of some people on this board i would not have the vessel i own now brought the hull for $400 an old 1973 5.3mtr fibreglass Stebercraft an rebulit it from the ground up

I'm a butcher by trade but have worked with Fibreglass when i was a kid an old Guy a lot of people will know the younger ones not so much by the name of Barry Bennett or B.B surf boards showed me how to build boards an work with Fibreglass it has been gratification, monetary savings, working on my own vessel along with buliding all the electric's from the ground up as well an i am still working on improving my vessel as the money side of things come along:-[ :-[

i have always worked on my own cars, boats, motor bikes pulling apart an rebuilding things but have never been any good at wood work building but will have a go at it all someone needs to do is start me out and i am fine from there a quick learner on most things an the enjoyment we get when we stand back an look at the finished product knowing that we have built this ourselve's is is even better 8-) ;D

Cheers;D ;D
Steve8-) 8-)

Redspeckle
21-01-2007, 09:19 AM
The reason I like working on my own boat gives you satisfaction and confidence in own boat if happen to break down or equipment on the water you can get it going again:)
Done my own boat wiring /dual battery setup bilge pumps, portable live bait tank/wash down hose,install own electronic equipment and even do boat trailer maintenance
But when its comes to Outboard (only do the basic maintenance on it) under-floor tanks or alloy welding I live it to the trade people because they know what their doing and don't what breakdown or damage the boat or injured yourself or crew while out on the water
Mitch ;)
Track Maintenance Supervior/Engineer

Poseidon
21-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Why do I work on my own boat.............................Simply because I can't seem to bring myself to trust anyone to do anything that I can do myself. Even if I am unfamiliar with a job I would research and ask questions prior to giving my own to any of the boat trade bandits, for at least if I stuff something up I am aware of it rather than a 'professional' (term that is hard to swallow around boats) stuffing something up and saying nothing.

I too am an electrical fitter mechanic ( tools in the cupboard, now replaced with an office chair and computer) and have seen too many shonky things in the building game to ever bring myself to part with money for something that I could stuff up just as easily as the experts.

Of course there are times that the engine will need to have the care and attention of an 'expert' and I can tell you that I get very nervous and paranoid leaving the boat in the hands of someone else.

Regards Cameron.

FNQCairns
21-01-2007, 02:59 PM
We only have X amount of expendable income, it's not just mine it's my familys.
I am the one who get's the main boating/fishing benifit (it's my only recreational interest to any extent).
Doing the work myself allows the money to be stretched somewhat further, I don't usually buy flasher just because I am doing it myself the saving goes toward all of us and an extra adventure or just for cruising or whatever.

Whenever I am forced to pick up a spanner and work on the cars esp I am pissed at the waste of my spare time but happy for the saving because the money saved (usually 50%+), I enjoy working on the boat/motor more but wouldn't bother if I was not making money - in around about way.

ATM I have been procrastinating for almost 3 weeks over getting the boat welded I have booked it in once and canceled because I don't want to be disgusted with the quality of the work I get back (for the thousanth time) I have fabricated the aluminium to be welded to within .5mm, pretty sure I will get back a job 5mm+ out of square with rough-ish welds ( but I will pay the same amount) so I guess there is a portion of that behind doing it myself.

Boating in Australia is 50 or 60% more expensive than the USA we must really like it considering the complaints over boating costs I read about from the US on line forums.

cheers fnq

Owen
21-01-2007, 06:58 PM
ATM I have been procrastinating for almost 3 weeks over getting the boat welded I have booked it in once and canceled because I don't want to be disgusted with the quality of the work I get back (for the thousanth time) I have fabricated the aluminium to be welded to within .5mm, pretty sure I will get back a job 5mm+ out of square with rough-ish welds ( but I will pay the same amount) so I guess there is a portion of that behind doing it myself.

You don't say what you want welded, but I'm guessing a tank or something. There are cowboys in every game and unfortunately alloy welding shows them up quicker than most things.
If you're unsure about the quality of work from your local boat industry I would suggest the fiollowing.
1: Talk to the prospective fabricator and explain the quality of finish you want and ask what methods they would use to achieve it.
2: Have a look around at the quality of the work in progress.
3: Be realistic in your expectations. Fitters work with micrometers, welders work with tape measures ;)

If you're still unsure, then may I suggest you seek out someone who normally does work for motor racing circles (i.e. drag or circuit racing). Anyone working in this area has to do quality work to survive.

cheers,
Owen

DaMaGe
21-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Why? well I simply cannot aford NOT to work on the boat. It seems the marine industry is very expensive on parts labour and quality workmanship. While i doubt I am any good at what I do, I put as much effort into it as I can, I take my time and I research as much as I can. It doesn't always come off as the best workmanship but I am happy with my own efforts, and I have made some handly things to enjoy my boat more thorough and have also fixed a few isseus which have saved me hundreds of dollars if it was done elsewhere. But still there are some things "engine rebuild" I just had to pay money for still, but end result I carry out my own repairs and workmanship on my boat to cut costs, by this I have also generated a love for my boat, it's nearly a clasic "nice ole 14ft half cab Hartley" of which even the previous owners new the ole girl had character and this tradition has moved on sice I have owned it.

gone_fishing
21-01-2007, 08:04 PM
i work on my own boat mostly
can try different ideas if modifying
am a qualifed mechanic
saves money
have a good understanding of my equipment
keeps my away from mowing the lawn and hanging out washing;D
stops me sitting on my but watching tv and drinkiing to much;D

FNQCairns
21-01-2007, 10:05 PM
You don't say what you want welded, but I'm guessing a tank or something. There are cowboys in every game and unfortunately alloy welding shows them up quicker than most things.
If you're unsure about the quality of work from your local boat industry I would suggest the fiollowing.
1: Talk to the prospective fabricator and explain the quality of finish you want and ask what methods they would use to achieve it.
2: Have a look around at the quality of the work in progress.
3: Be realistic in your expectations. Fitters work with micrometers, welders work with tape measures ;)

If you're still unsure, then may I suggest you seek out someone who normally does work for motor racing circles (i.e. drag or circuit racing). Anyone working in this area has to do quality work to survive.

cheers,
Owen

Thanks Owen, I am raising the transom on my new boat to suit a 25inch outboard, the pods 5mm plate supports have been engineered with a bend and slight twist in them so I had to add again to this design in the buildup.

Worried the welder will not give much of a crap about lining it up correctly (will take 2 people to do it) 1 person could do it badly or take extra time.

If they get to within 2mm it will look like sorta OK if they are rougher it will be a noticable dogs breakfast like the last one I had done well over 5mm out when I got it back, it was unmiss-able, different tradesman this time of coarse.

You have given me some good ideas I will chase them up.

Wish I could weld!

cheers fnq

mark221263
22-01-2007, 06:27 AM
I cant remember ever paying anyone to work on my boats. I have paid for a pre purchase inspection a coupe times on boats where I've had not experiance on thet brand and size of outboard.

Other than that I do all servicing to save $ and know what has been done and what hasn't. Plus you end up knowing your boat extremely well shoudl something ever go wrong.

Only failure I've had over 25 years was a johnson 35 breaking a reed petal which can be caused by servicing or lack of.

As a fitter & turner by trade few things phase me. Over the years I've rebuilt engines from 20,000rpm karts, 2 stroke outboats to Porsche 911 engines.

Same rules apply, get a detailed manual, research what your wanting to do, be fusy and meticulus about your work, dont rush.

Cheers Mark

Mrs Ronnie H
22-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Hi all
Great if you can do yhings to your boat i reckon. I don't do alot of the things you guys can especially on the motor but I do what I know I can and if I need help i have plenty to give me advice. Can't let the other half near any thing mechanical-- so i do it myself. Replaced all the nav lights, installed a new stove, put in a cabin fan, did all the upholstery, stained all the woodwork and replacing all the gauges and wipers.

Not the great stuff you guys do with motor rebuilding etc but i still get lots of enjoyment doing all the other things you guys wouldn't think about.
I saved abit of cash along the way to.
Cheers
Ronnie h

krazyfisher
22-01-2007, 08:32 AM
why? because its fun and I can

murf
22-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi all
Great if you can do yhings to your boat i reckon. I don't do alot of the things you guys can especially on the motor but I do what I know I can and if I need help i have plenty to give me advice. Can't let the other half near any thing mechanical-- so i do it myself. Replaced all the nav lights, installed a new stove, put in a cabin fan, did all the upholstery, stained all the woodwork and replacing all the gauges and wipers.

Not the great stuff you guys do with motor rebuilding etc but i still get lots of enjoyment doing all the other things you guys wouldn't think about.
I saved abit of cash along the way to.
Cheers
Ronnie h

You’re a legend Ronnie h, ;) sounds like you’re not scared to jump in and give it a go. Top stuff

Cheers Murf

blaze
22-01-2007, 02:43 PM
For me it started as a money thing, but thats with all things I do from boat to cars to house reno's. For a given amount of dollars I can acheive a better result than if I gave that dollar to someone else. I am also a person that finds it hard to sit still and like to have a project of some sort going on in my life. Self satafaction.
cheers
blaze

charleville
22-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm. I am a DIY guy from way back.

For example I designed my current house about 25 years ago. It is undoubtedly the ugliest house in the street but, boy oh boy, is it strong! ;D

In the past, I have gone mad in refibreglassing old canoes and small boats and even built a trailer for a 16 ft canoe from scratch with all new parts. Like many of my DIY projects, that was probably one of the most expensive things that I could have done, considering the few number of times that I used it. It now lies rusting away around the unseen side of my yard. Sold the canoe - and kept the trailer - what the heck! - every yard needs an eyesore somewhere. ;D

Lots of the DIY things that I have done were for economic reasons but after years of crawling under cars doiung really mongrel jobs like replacing ball joints etc with the most basic of tools, I made an oath to myself that once I hit the ripe old age of fifty, I would never again crawl under a car. Six years after hitting fifty I have mostly honored that pledge.

Likewise, I decided that at about the same age, i would never trust my life to my own mechanical skills in a boat - 'cause I swim like a wind tunnel tuned lead sinker.;D

The net result of that is that whilst I will potter arount the boat installing add-ons like power sockets, downriggers, extra rod holders, GPS cradle etc, I would not put a spanner on the motor.

So I drop $50 each fortnight into an online savings account and when the boat needs servicing or mechanical attention, i just use those funds get it done without ever quibbling at the price. I know that I pay top dollar for the mechanic but I don't care as I would trust their skills far more than my own.

Having said that though, I still could not stop myself getting a factory workshop manual "just in case" and doing regular easy jobs like greasing the various greasepoints every few trips, repacking wheel bearings, replacing worn skid plastics and rollers on the trailer, and regularly fixing those bloody trailer lights - but everyone does that latter one, don't they?! ;D

finga
22-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Having said that though, I still could not stop myself getting a factory workshop manual "just in case" and doing regular easy jobs like greasing the various greasepoints every few trips, repacking wheel bearings, replacing worn skid plastics and rollers on the trailer, and regularly fixing those bloody trailer lights - but everyone does that latter one, don't they?! ;D
Never fixed a light on my trailers Charlie. :D
I just rewire them every now and again before the rot sets in. ;)
Actually one trailer has been about 3 or 4 years with no problems and the other is about 14 months with no hassles.
Touch wood

Roughasguts
23-01-2007, 10:20 AM
From what I can work out from reading here.

It's a damn side quicker and easier to work on your own boat. Rather than drop it of at a dealer and wait for weeks, then it's still not been looked at. Or if it has, you may just get fobbed off with too busy. rather than I just don't wan't to bust bolts, and try and repair those as well, as do your water pump, Head gaskett Etc.

After all i'm sure theres a lot of motors out there suffering neglect, and can't really be pulled apart with out doing a fair amount of damage.

And maybe that's where you make your choice if you do your own repairs, and maintainance.

You better be prepaired that a dealer won't touch it after you make a few adjustments, bust some bolts lose some bits Etc.

Mrs Ronnie H
23-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Murf
Thanks heaps mate. I love to do things--- had eight uncles and as a kid used to get out and help them so I learnt a few things along the way. I'll give anything a go and if i don't know I ask some one who does. Can't let hubbie near anything mechanical-- car or boat. Last time he helped wash the 4x4 he ended up falling between the bull bar and bonnet and got 2 blood clots in his leg. He usually stays in the kitchen now and leaves me to it. Great stuff i reckon as i love every minute of it. We built a TITAN shed and all I need now is the T-Shirt that reads--- I have a titan and he thinks he does.

Cheers
Ronnie h

QuinnyDory
23-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey all. Apart from the money thing and the self satisfaction thing it gives me a bit of a buzz working hands-on with the boat as "hands-on" is not something I generally get to do as part of day to day work (being in IT for the last 15 years).
Also, as alot of people here might agree, once you have a few kids you start to see that money doesnt go as far as it used to... (but you wouldnt trade them for quids, right ?) ;D
cheers, Darren.

kingtin
23-01-2007, 02:42 PM
once you have a few kids you start to see that money doesnt go as far as it used to... (but you wouldnt trade them for quids, right ?) ;D
cheers, Darren.

Wrong!;);D

kev

stevedemon
23-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi all
Quinnydory mate wait till the kids grow-up an you think they have moved out of home after they have eaten you out of house an home an the girls have bleed you dry just when you think it is safe to go back in the water the kids decide to return home

Hey all. Apart from the money thing and the self satisfaction thing it gives me a bit of a buzz working hands-on with the boat as "hands-on" is not something I generally get to do as part of day to day work (being in IT for the last 15 years).
Also, as alot of people here might agree, once you have a few kids you start to see that money doesnt go as far as it used to... (but you wouldnt trade them for quids, right ?) ;D
cheers, Darren.

an you have to start all over again wondering when are you an the wife going to get the time to yourselves time to rest an stop playing house then they decide to make you a grand parent an the sleepless nights that you thought had gone have returned

this is when you are glad that you can work on your own vessel an even more glad to go fishing just for some peace

but all in all you are right on not wanting to trade them in for quids:-/

i have been trying to give them away;D ;D but problem is there are no takers ;D 8-)

Cheers;D
Steve8-)

Mrs Ronnie H
24-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi all
Quinnydory mate wait till the kids grow-up an you think they have moved out of home after they have eaten you out of house an home an the girls have bleed you dry just when you think it is safe to go back in the water the kids decide to return home

an you have to start all over again wondering when are you an the wife going to get the time to yourselves time to rest an stop playing house then they decide to make you a grand parent an the sleepless nights that you thought had gone have returned

this is when you are glad that you can work on your own vessel an even more glad to go fishing just for some peace

but all in all you are right on not wanting to trade them in for quids:-/

i have been trying to give them away;D ;D but problem is there are no takers ;D 8-)

Cheers;D
Steve8-)

It is never safe. Our kids are like yo yo's and its not getting any better. One moves out, the other moves in with the girl friend. They move out and the other moves back. To make things worse I've had the MOTHER IN LAW HERE FOR TWELVE MONTHS.
I'm ready for the LOONEY BIN>
She moves out weekend and the stepson moves out soon to and they have been told they are not coming back. If they all stopped free loading and left maybe we could both retire.

It gets worse Steve believe me. Reckon we should be able to put em all in the freezer, thaw them out when they're twenty one and take the bloody key to the door off them. Not give them one.

Ronnieh

stevedemon
24-01-2007, 05:44 PM
mate i have 2 step kids an 4 of my own 2 eldest are 21 then 2 19yr old have been like bad pennies you give them to the bank an low an behold the bank returns them with no interest other than baby in hand
great little grand child would not swap him for the world
but when will the freeloader leave for good start to think i am looney tune an the wife an i will never have quality time at home with no gremlins an no problems me i left home join the Milarty came home for a week after 3yrs in service moved out have never been home other than for visits tried to tell the kids this as a hint but like speaking to brick walls as for mother in laws in 3 marriages only had to put up with one become to demanding on the wife so sorted this one out do not have that problem any more

It is never safe. Our kids are like yo yo's and its not getting any better. One moves out, the other moves in with the girl friend. They move out and the other moves back. To make things worse I've had the MOTHER IN LAW HERE FOR TWELVE MONTHS.
I'm ready for the LOONEY BIN>
She moves out weekend and the stepson moves out soon to and they have been told they are not coming back. If they all stopped free loading and left maybe we could both retire.

It gets worse Steve believe me. Reckon we should be able to put em all in the freezer, thaw them out when they're twenty one and take the bloody key to the door off them. Not give them one.

Ronnieh

Cheers;D ;D
Steve8-) 8-)

PinHead
24-01-2007, 06:03 PM
wow steve..that sure is a handful...mine are 25 and 23...both out of home and neither coming back...both have a child..love the kids and grandkids to death...BUT...wife and I love just being to decide to go out for dinner on the spur of the moment or go boating without having to worry about who will be at home etc etc...gotta love being empty nesters.

Scalem
25-01-2007, 12:19 AM
M8

You know some of the stories in relation to dealing with "reputable" boat yards. The more I can do myself the better off I will be, I've had a gutfull as you well know. Like you, I put the skids on once my bill for a simple tune up exceeded $1500.00 for what was originally a splutter in the motor. Replace the stater, the Flywheel, the CDI pack, clean out the carbs, and still ran like a hairy goat. So what was the problem? Wrong plugs!! Who found it?? Me!!

You bet I want to learn more about the workings of my boat! At least I have all these spares now, should see me right for a few years......

Scalem

finga
25-01-2007, 05:57 AM
M8

You know some of the stories in relation to dealing with "reputable" boat yards. The more I can do myself the better off I will be, I've had a gutfull as you well know. Like you, I put the skids on once my bill for a simple tune up exceeded $1500.00 for what was originally a splutter in the motor. Replace the stater, the Flywheel, the CDI pack, clean out the carbs, and still ran like a hairy goat. So what was the problem? Wrong plugs!! Who found it?? Me!!

You bet I want to learn more about the workings of my boat! At least I have all these spares now, should see me right for a few years......

Scalem

Good point Brian....
We've heard a heap of who does their own work and why how about we hear from a few who would like some skills to be able to save a few shiney ones, and to get to know their vessel better.

What skills/equipement would you like to have to be able to do a bit around the boat??

For me, I'd like an AC/DC tig to take the welding to another level and some better skills in fiberglassing.
I'd love to do a 'white ants in the playpen' ;D
And that's about it I reckon...oooh a hydrolic tube bender would be nice tooo. And that's about it. And maybe a bigger shed to put all the crap into as well. That's gotta be about it now :)

stevedemon
25-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Good point Brian....
We've heard a heap of who does their own work and why how about we hear from a few who would like some skills to be able to save a few shiney ones, and to get to know their vessel better.

What skills/equipement would you like to have to be able to do a bit around the boat??

For me, I'd like an AC/DC tig to take the welding to another level and some better skills in fiberglassing.
I'd love to do a 'white ants in the playpen' ;D
And that's about it I reckon...oooh a hydrolic tube bender would be nice tooo. And that's about it. And maybe a bigger shed to put all the crap into as well. That's gotta be about it now :)

Hi Scott
well mate with the amount of knowledge on this board maybe we can organize a meet and greet work shop weekend some where in a park as there are people on here to whom have the knowledge on all the above Mig an tig welding, Fibreglassing, Electric's, maintaince of vessel and trailers,
it is all knowledge to help those out that are looking to save a few dollars an we can all bring some thing different to the table

Cheers
Steve

Mrs Ronnie H
25-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Scott
well mate with the amount of knowledge on this board maybe we can organize a meet and greet work shop weekend some where in a park as there are people on here to whom have the knowledge on all the above Mig an tig welding, Fibreglassing, Electric's, maintaince of vessel and trailers,
it is all knowledge to help those out that are looking to save a few dollars an we can all bring some thing different to the table

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve
The M&G sounds great. I"m sure there are lots out there that would be in. I'd like to learn heaps more. You guys have abit of an advantage with welding, mechanics etc so it would be useful to learn more.
Basic maintenance etc would be a good starting point. ;D
Like you said to we all have things to offer and ideas as well.
Great idea and if it happens even better.
Cheers
Ronnieh

Scalem
27-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Steve
The M&G sounds great. I"m sure there are lots out there that would be in. I'd like to learn heaps more. You guys have abit of an advantage with welding, mechanics etc so it would be useful to learn more.
Basic maintenance etc would be a good starting point. ;D
Like you said to we all have things to offer and ideas as well.
Great idea and if it happens even better.
Cheers
Ronnieh

Good ideas. We could knock up a few topics and see what interest there is for the M&G. You could hire someone's shed for the day, and have different catagories.

*** How to change a set of bearings and repack them with grease
*** How to do general Maintenance on your O/B
*** What to do in an emergency when you have water in your fuel.
*** How to apply flowcoat with best results

The list is huge, but I'd love to be at a M and G with this sort of approach.

Scalem

finga
28-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I'd be more then happy to show about basic accessory wiring/rewiring and fault finding if somebody has a boat with crook wiring we can experiment with, I mean learn on.
And somebody else has a yard, shed to do it in.
:)

i wish
28-01-2007, 10:40 PM
i work on my boat cause i can lol ,its my pride and joy after my family and i know what i want and how i want it so if things go wrong no one else to blame,beside it makes u feel good knowing what u have done and even better when some one askes you who made that and how , it also helps when your a welder by trade and work 4 days on 4 days off plenty of time to tinker and fish

Ally Jack
29-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I've just finished working on my own boat, putting in underfloor fuel tank, raising the floor, putting in front and rear casting decks, and welding on the mount for the minn kota.
The reason I did all my own work is 1 cost. It would have cost a small fortune to get someone else to do the welding and timber work.
The other reason is I couldn't really explain what I really wanted in the boat.
During the 3 months it took to do, (a lot longer than expected) my ideas changed, I saw better ideas that I put into the boat, other things got the flick, and some things got put on the backburner so I could get back fishing.
Now that it is finished (for the moment) it was a great experience, and worth every bit of effort.

finga
29-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I've just finished working on my own boat, putting in underfloor fuel tank, raising the floor, putting in front and rear casting decks, and welding on the mount for the minn kota.
The reason I did all my own work is 1 cost. It would have cost a small fortune to get someone else to do the welding and timber work.
The other reason is I couldn't really explain what I really wanted in the boat.
During the 3 months it took to do, (a lot longer than expected) my ideas changed, I saw better ideas that I put into the boat, other things got the flick, and some things got put on the backburner so I could get back fishing.
Now that it is finished (for the moment) it was a great experience, and worth every bit of effort.

You'd better bung some pictures of the work then mate :)

BilgeBoy
29-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I would dread the thought of being stuck out on the water and note being able to do anything about it!! It is easy for me...I was a mechanic for most my life and still work in the industry....but boat engines are different and have different quirks etc. Well worth the time to familiarise yourself even with the basics...Just in case!!

Change a spark plug, how to tell a fuel or spark issue, electrical problem etc...these are fairly basic things that we can all learn. That thingy at the back of the boat would have to be up there in terms of CRITICAL items to have working.

I know there are good guys here who can answer a few questions if anyone has any!

BilgeBoy

davo73
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Scott, dont know if pm is working, did you receive mine.
c u on Sunday

Dave