PDA

View Full Version : Finally!! My own Spot X!

Volcano
20-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Today (Saturday the 20th) headed out towards Barwon Banks at about 6am.
Things were a bit choppy, but the boat handled the conditions brilliantly with three of us on board.

about 5kms out, we spotted some birds working to the south, and decided to chase them and see if we could hit the fish with some metal slugs. The birds seemed to drift further south as we approached, and eventually we decided we were far enough off course and ceased the pursuit.

We looked to the GPS to see exactly where we were when we noticed some colour on the sounder. We decided to have a bit of a look-see, and dropped the pick forward of our drift line.

Within 60 seconds, my old man was grunting to himself and pulled in a lovely big 58cm cod. Could this be? Could the drought be over? Into the esky she went, and within perhaps 5 minutes, he had boated a lovely 49cm parrot fish. Saying we were excited was an understatement. Unfortunately, the action tapered off somewhat with bust offs, dropped fish and undersized species galore.

We decided to pull the pick and have a search around and see if this area was any good. We motored about 150m south and saw some good shows, picking up a school of under size squire. About 5 minutes into a fun catch-and-release session of 32cm model squire, my old man pointed to the water and said "Look at these fish swimming around the boat. What are they?" I caught glimpses of largish crescent shaped yellow tails, and immediately grabbed for my 35gram slug (a red model). Probably 20 odd casts, with these fish chasing down the lure, criss-crossing it and teasing it just to leave it as it hit the boat mandated a lure change. we then put on the same slug in blue. 5 casts, and the same scene. I turned to my mate and said to him "You know, I've NEVER caught anything on a lure". then zzzzzzzzzz.
huh? I'm on? I'm ON!! I tightened the drag slightly and reeled in carefully. This was NOT a big fish, but it had a bit of a kick to it. after a great little fight, I had officially boated my FIRST EVER MAHI-MAHI! It was a very small model, being about 45 odd centimeters, and what a beautiful looking fish it was.

We all stared in awe and yahoo'd for about 5 seconds, and then back to the depths she went. Wow. What a rush. Not only my first ever strike on a lure,
but for it to be a dollie! What a feeling.

Anyway, this novel is probably boring you all stiff by now :P Just had to share that experience. The Mark was locked in as "SPOT X" on the GPS, and we pulled stumps with 9 fish in the esky.
1 x Venus Tusk Fish
1 x Pearl Perch
1 x Moses Perch
6 x parrot fish

Couldn't be happier! After 12 months of going fishing and not coming home with a scale, this is a welcome change. Not big numbers, but enough to keep us happy and to not take more than we need. Good times I tells ya!

kingtin
20-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Well done mate.............sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves:)

kev

Volcano
20-01-2007, 07:55 PM
To be honest Kingtin, it would have to have been the best days fishing I have ever had. Great mates, great weather (eventually lol), great fun fishing and some new ground found. Whats not to love!

Oh, BTW... sorry about the lack of photos... next time I promise!

Even a blue bottle sting whilst retrieving an anchor couldn't dampen the day.

Fishing_Freddy
20-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Good to hear some else got amongst the fish today as well.Keep up the reports as it keep others keen to wet a line.
Ken

Volcano
20-01-2007, 08:53 PM
We just ate some of the parrot fillets.
Floured with generous amounts of salt and pepper mixed through, dusted and fried off for about 7 minutes. Probably one of the tastiest crispy-skin fillets I've ever had. (Not a biased opinion of course :P)

Tomorrow night: whole baked fish in red thai and coconut cream sauce :o

theVan
20-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Mate .... great report.
It is good to here from someone .... like myself.... with lots of "firsts" still to be had!
I am yet to get a Mahi Mahi and I am absolutely sure my reaction would mirror yours.
Congrats!

PS... the best tasting fish I have ever eaten also was hoisted into the boat by my own rod and reel!

the baker
20-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Well done mate that would have been a hell of a rush .I love to see reports like that ,It makes the blood boil. Good stuff keep it coming

sleepygreg
21-01-2007, 01:23 AM
great to hear a report that puts it all into perspective. Isnt this what we all aim for......that session that justifies why we love this sport. Well done.
Cheers
Greg

luckyone
21-01-2007, 04:59 AM
thats wat it is all about catch some fish and mostly have one of the best days of your live... hope there is more to come all the best and tight lines

StevenM
21-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Congrats, now I will follow you out next time as I need a new spot x

grant6336
21-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Well done mate! This is why we keep going back, sounds like a great day.

powderfingers
21-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Well done guys. The next time you catch a small mahi mahi, keep it on the line in the water and the rest of the shoal will hang around.

capt. mud
21-01-2007, 09:34 AM
sounds like you were on Murphy's mate.

Fishnwell
21-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Great report and pleased you found spot X. That could be the spot I lost - where did you find it??

Volcano
21-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Where did I find it? Between spot W and Spot Y, of course :D

-spiro-
22-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Well done always good to get your first dollie. Try a livie next time. one cast one fish. lol

DD
01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
find it,,,, he was guided by those flapjaks in the sky LOL...bloody fate mate.. Just goes to show theres alot of luck involved still when it comes to finding our sweet little friends..great report Volcano

Liberty
02-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Nice going! I'm very jealous ...

goona
02-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey good on you boys. Shore does make the day better when you are catching something