PDA

View Full Version : Rod Lathe?

stevos
20-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Im looking at making a rod lathe for repairing to bindings and epoxy work with the intention of making a custom rod one day.

Can anyone post some pics or provide a good description of a set up that would be acceptable?

Cheers,

Steve

finga
20-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Go to the rod building week-end and see for yourself matey. And see how the make that custom rod at the sametime :D

Stuart
20-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I will be taking my new lathe. Thats if I have it done in time. I tend to go a bit over board on things, what starts as a simple plane turns into a time machine. You can get some ideas from my lathe if you like, I wouldnt make one the same as its very costly and time consuming for what you want. If you plan on making quite a few then it might pay to invest some money in one ready made.

Bearclaw
20-01-2007, 08:06 PM
There is no reason to purchase a lathe unless you are turning out the rods or you have spare money to throw around. For one offs or a bit of repair work there is a multitude of plans available on the net.

Stu,
You finally worn those wheels out mate.

Stuart
20-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeh mate, its done its fair share of rods over the years and its no cut up in about 1000 pieces and sitting on the bottom of Budrim tip. Still have the drive motor and clutch system, making the rest myself. Should come out nice as I have a metal lathe and milling machine so I can do all the machining stuff at home.

Stu

finga
22-01-2007, 07:09 AM
There is no reason to purchase a lathe unless you are turning out the rods or you have spare money to throw around. For one offs or a bit of repair work there is a multitude of plans available on the net.
I can't wait 'til the rod building week-end either to have a gander at a lathe to make a lathe (yeah, I'm bored)
I've had a gander on the idiotnet and haven't found any real plans as such. :'(
Is it possible for a couple of links?? Please. :)
I want to make a lathe but don't want to stuff it up either :P
Cheers Scott

Bearclaw
23-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Finga, you don't need wheels or any expensive sort of set up. Powered lathes etc are only of use if long underbinds etc are being done.
There would be more rods built on V notches than wheeled lathe.

Here is one simple plan for a v notched rod wrapper, this will give you a base wrapper that you can improve. It is about the 4th or 5th down.
http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/library.html

This site has a lot of interesting things do a search in the forum you will come up with plenty of additional wrapper ideas, even in the photo page in the equipment page. Also veiw some of the factory made ones by FlexCoat. Should find them in the sponsor list on the left hand side of the forum.

Stuart
23-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Myles

That’s right about the v notch supports, how ever if your putting a motor on it then I would highly recommend rollers. Why, well friction, friction, friction, this generates heat and heat is the enemy of resin in the blank. Even turning a rod by hand in a V notch support can leave marks on the blank, so wrap a bit of tape around the blank before starting.

Stu

Bearclaw
23-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I would recommend even wrapping tape tape around the blank even when using rollers. Nothing worse than having a marked blank where the wheels have marked the blank. Rubber wheel marks on a nice white CTS blank doesn't look very nice.>:(

If anyone decides to build a similar wrapper to the one in the link, get some thick felt to line the V notch's. (not sure if that is mentioned in the plans)

sleepygreg
24-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Ok...Wilson Tackle used to make an excellent Lathe for wrapping.....i used one in my shop for ages.....i reckon they would still have it. Check it out...they are a local company and have a good product. Its a bit of an investment....lets face it....if you are keen enough its cheap enough. It IS an excellent product and it works.

Greg