PDA

View Full Version : Filloeting Table Height

jtpython
19-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I was just watching the how to fillet flathead video and noticed the height of the filleting table' Now if anyone does a lot of filleting after a fishing trip knows the back stress one can get from this. We made a great filleting table because of this problem and the height of it is 1250 mm high in old scale about 4 foot 2 inches and i tell you there is nothing better than coming home after fishing all day in the boat specialy in a bit of rough weather, filleting at this height and not suffering that dull everlasting pain from constant bending over.
How do you you find it?
Will enclose photo of table tomorrow will have to take pic of it
JT
YOUR THOUGHTS AND IDEA'S

Luc
19-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Fully agree with you.

Having your work surface at the right height is a god sent for your back and let's you do a good job to boot.

Best I've seen is an old folding ironing board recycled into a filleting table.

Luc

rick k
19-01-2007, 10:40 PM
yep, did most of my filleting on an island off Darwin.
Chilled fish, sharp knives, glassed table at the right height.
Just the thing when one is tired, sunburnt and ready for an ale or two.

As opposed to the kitchen sink, with its lip. And for me and 5'10" wife, kitchen benches are too low as well

Bob H
20-01-2007, 10:17 AM
can you tell me what height person . 1250 good for ? so i can work out the size for myself thanks. bob h

disorderly
20-01-2007, 12:22 PM
rick k,
If your kitchen benches really do cause you and wifey a problem due to height,its relatively easy to remove the existing kickboards below the cupboards and add taller ones.Will need some adjustments to plumbing around sink area though.But what price do you put on ongoing back problems.

cheers Scott

jtpython
20-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Basically Bob standing height with your arms bent at the elbow as so not to have any bend in your back So your not crouching. Does that help mate?
I'll post a pic of what i mean by 7 pm tonight showing what i mean. Sorry it will take that long

murf
20-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I did notice how Phill was bending over, was he using one of those fold up camp tables?

My cleaning table is 1000mm high, a bit low for me but others have to use it as well. I am 1770mm tall

1250mm is a bit high. I would have to have my arms held up all the time and that would hurt just as much. Unless of course it is drinkies time :)

I would imagine anything over elbow hight would be too high

Cheers Murf

rick k
20-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Scott. Hadn't thought of that.

Rick K

jtpython
21-01-2007, 05:00 PM
here is that pic i promised. This height suits me

Kleyny
22-01-2007, 08:24 PM
i'm going to adapt the wifes' old ironing table. so i can fold it away when not in use.
pyhton looks like your height idea will be a goer for me.

thanks
neil

Bob H
23-01-2007, 06:00 PM
thanks for that mate . bob h

BGG
23-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Belly button height seems right for me

Noelm
24-01-2007, 07:32 AM
I just made mine from an old kitchen sink for washing and stuff, and a solid timber area on one side to actually fillet on, made up a tap sort of setup with a clip on hose fitting, so all I do is clip on the hose and I have "tap water" without the plumbing cost, it is also far better if possible to wash fresh cut fillets in salt water (easy for me I live on the water) but still possible if you bring home a bucket (with a lid) of sea water when you come home.