PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Buddies removal

2iar
17-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi All,

Might seem like a silly question, but hey, that's me :-)

I've got some form of bearing buddies/mates/protectors on my trailer. When it was in for a service a few weeks, I got the bearings checked and they were ok so no worries on that score.

However, I've subsequently lost one from the trailer, which I'm assuming fell off. I was going to take the other one in to a trailer place to find a match, but you've guessed it - I can't get it off.

Any secrets on how to get them off? I've tried pulling it with the biggest grips I've got, and given it a bash from all angles with a rubber mallet...it doesn't want to move. I haven't given it everything I've got for fear of damaging it - anyone know the correct method of removal?

Thanks in advance.

Good luck,
Mike

Roughasguts
17-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Tap it around the edges with a light hammer, it should work it's way out.
If not tap it a bit harder.
Don't be scared of it you won't break it.

Brumby
17-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Mine have a shallow slot in the side, you can get an old screwdriver in there (with the wheel off) and hammer it out. Some people use a bit of loctite to secure them so it may need a bit of persuading.

Good luck

Crooked
17-01-2007, 07:45 PM
When I got mine I had to many spacer washers which mde them sit out to far so had to remove the one I installed. I just used a block of wood to tap it out working from side to side to side. The wood worked well as it softens the blow a bit and I think this is what the instructions say. If they are tight you may need some more muscle!

Evan

2iar
18-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys. I used Crooked's method and some less than gentle persuasion. After a few taps, it landed in next door's yard... :-)

I'll take it in to the trailer place and see about replacements.

Good luck,
Mike