PDA

View Full Version : More on trailer bearings

SeaHunt
17-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Is there any way you can tell whether you have Ford or Holden bearings by measuring your your stub axle size/s or whatever?

I am heading up to Hervey Bay from Brissy for the Australia day weekend and though I would check my trailer bearings before heading off.
I have done a search and read all I can find about trailer bearings on this site.
Some scarey stories in there, and it would seem as though I have been living on borrowed time.
The trailer is a SeaLink over 4 years old now, gets almost completely dunked every time the boat goes in (and comes out) and has never had the bearings changed. Anyway I pulled my wheels off and checked the bearings and they still seem fine, no discolouration in the grease very smooth operation, no pitting or marks I can see. I think I will just repack them and just get a spare set of bearings and take the tools to change then roadside in an emergency.
I had a look at the spare ones at BCF from what I can tell the larger bearing on the Ford and Holden kits are the same with the smaller bearings having a different number. The problem being the number is stamped in the outer race which is pressed into the hub and you cant see it without taking it out.
Thanks in advance.

sid_fishes
17-01-2007, 05:19 PM
take the old one out get the numbers off it replace with new ones and keep the old ones as spare

shonky1
17-01-2007, 06:22 PM
The Ford bearings have a larger outsid diameter than the Holden one, use Ford ones much stronger and les hassle.

murf
17-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Info from an ebay search for trailer hubs

Ford Bearings have an axle diameter of:
Small: 7/8” or 22.22mm
Large: 1-3/8” or 34.92mm

Holden Bearings have an axle diameter of:
Small: ¾” or 19.05mm
Large: 1-1/4” or 31.75mm

change bearings and keep old for spares, make sure you change the seals.
Cheers Murf

FNQCairns
17-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Murf good info -saved it.

Seahunt, curious to know if you have bearing buddies and marine seals? You have had good service.

cheers fnq

SeaHunt
18-01-2007, 10:41 AM
You're a champion Murf. Thanks.
FNQ have no Bearing Buddies, I don't know about marine seals.
Whatever SeaLink put on them as standard.
SeaLink are made by special trailers here in Qld somewhere, I suppose I could phone and ask them what they put on them.
I just give them a hose off when I get home, been lucky I guess and I am not going to change them now, just make up a kit of spares, grease and tools to do the job and keep it in the Ute , or I might bolt a lockable galv toolbox to the trailer in case someone else is towing it.
I will obviously check them every 6 months or so.

murf
18-01-2007, 11:03 AM
you will change the seals though wont you ;)

Cheers murf

gone_fishing
18-01-2007, 05:10 PM
make sure you purchase a quality set
skefco or cbc kits there are others but cant remember them

steer away from the cheap chinese bearing kits that cost about 10/12 bucks
seen a few fail a low km's very brittle

quality performs on long after the cost is forgoten
have a good holiday

phewy
18-01-2007, 07:25 PM
The Ford bearings have a larger outsid diameter than the Holden one, use Ford ones much stronger and les hassle.

Make that the inside diameter is larger on the Ford/Slimline bearings. Outside diam the same on both cups.

Don't make the common mistake of just taking out the outer bearing to check size without taking the hub right off to check the inner as well. Unless you find a Holden bearing as the outer that is. If so the inner will be Holden as well. But if the outer is a Ford, it could have either one as the inner. (one of each being composite). Seen it happen many times at work with people bringing in caravans for services. "If you need to fit new bearings to her, I've got a spare set inside the van, use those."...they say. Great, if they'd fit. Or people bring in their outer bearing only (couldn't be bothered to take the inner out as well) to buy new sets. If its Holden, fine, 1 complete Holden set and seals to go. If its a Ford outer...."sorry, go back and try again or buy both size inners and seals just in case and bring the wrong ones back for credit"