PDA

View Full Version : Knotted Dogs

harro
18-09-2001, 09:03 PM
Regards Knotted Dogs sources -
available on line at www.harro.com.au
and (soon) in Qld tackle shops such as
Springwood Marine
Models include Mag barra, Barra cast, Light Tropical, ultra light spin, trout spin, bream, bass & goldens, cod spin, cod troll, flathead, high speed spin (boat), high speed spin (LBG)
and deep reef.

Fitzy
18-09-2001, 09:22 PM
Hi Harro
Did I tell you about the tests I did with the new DCP KDs at Shoalwater?
Put them on all clients gear in one boat, & various lengths/strengths/brands of mono leaders on others.
The KDs lasted 10 days without breaking, although they were a little scuffed. The leaders on the other 2 boats had to have the leaders changed either each session or at least every night.
Fished in some rough country, snags, rocks, mangroves etc & with every day being over 100 fish days.
Got jacks, fingermark, barra, cod, blue & threadfin salmon + others. A fair test of the KDs worth.
Great innovation. :D
Cheers,
Fitzy..

BTW. What does DCP stand for ??? ;D

Luke
03-10-2001, 09:05 AM
Harro,Finger or Fitzy,
can you tell me a bit more about the knotted dogs. Fitzy mentioned they are obviously stronger and more abrasion resistant but are they tied just like a normal leader? Are they on sale at Tackleshops yet?
Thanks Luke

Steve_Ooi
03-10-2001, 02:12 PM
Luke mate have a look at this url http://www.harro.com.au/knotteddogs.htm which has plenty of info on the knotted dogs….The Kds are a great leader and I have found them to be of particular benefit when using braid when chasing barra.. The new Kd’s are using the penn s4 (dcp ) monofilament which has great abrasion resistance and has performed really well around rocky outcrops and snags…the fact that the leader consist of a helical twisted leader reduces the abrasion area in contact with the surface, the helical twist also acts as a spring that takes any extra stress of the hook placement with in the fishes mouth, this means less chance of pulled hooks especially when fish are jumping …..
Very useful when using braid as it adds that little bit of needed stretch.
The Kd’s are a great product ..
They are available in a number of tackle store( which one I’m not to sure) Springwood marine should have them….
Steve Ooi

Luke
03-10-2001, 02:26 PM
Steve ,
mate you explained that well. I was trying to get a picture of them in my head. I have had a look at that link and it say's knotless leaders. How are they attached to your main line? Might be a stupid Q - I might be reading into this wrong. Might just ring Springwood and go try a few.
Thanks Luke

Cremated_Reddog
03-10-2001, 02:38 PM
G'day Luke, give Brett finger at call at Springwood he is the man to fill you in on em.
Cheers Reddog

Fitzy
03-10-2001, 05:29 PM
Steve ,
mate you explained that well. I was trying to get a picture of them in my head. I have had a look at that link and it say's knotless leaders. How are they attached to your main line? Might be a stupid Q - I might be reading into this wrong. Might just ring Springwood and go try a few.
Thanks Luke

Hi Luke,
When you get your KDs, I think there is an instruction sheet on how to attach them to your main line.

All Day, All Day.

Fitz

Cremated_Reddog
03-10-2001, 06:55 PM
there sure are instructions, inside the pink bits :o :o :D

Luke
04-10-2001, 02:50 AM
Thanks all,
I'll go down to Springwood today and check them out.

Brett_Finger
05-10-2001, 03:11 AM
Luke,
mate i trust you will be happy with the dogs,i can tell you thay work extreamly well. you see i was the guy useing the KD's at Shoalwater with Fitzy, i had them on the rods in my boat and the clients,(Never cast retrive before) were in the trees hooked on rocks and every ware else.the day before the clients arrived Fitzy and i trolled coral reefs with them,with obvious skuffing of the line but i can tell you i had the suckers draging through the reef looking for trout with no worries about the leader letting me down ;D ;D
Hookin, Brett

Luke
05-10-2001, 03:32 AM
Brett,
will be giving them a go on the weekend.Thanks for all your help mate.
Luke

Brett_Finger
05-10-2001, 10:06 AM
Luke,
no worries, with the weather getting hotter,i might just go brain another BIG JACK my self ;D
Hookin,Brett

Luke
05-10-2001, 10:34 AM
Brett,
while your'e under seige with your next jack attack I'll probably be at Hungry Jacks attacking a whopper double beef with cheese and fries. Close to the real thing? Nahhh
Luke

Brett_Finger
05-10-2001, 04:19 PM
Luke,
Mate hooking a big jack on a cast retrive is like steaping out in frount of a mack truck!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :P
hookin, Brett(The Big fella!!)

Luke
06-10-2001, 03:01 AM
Brett,
mate,thats a more jaccurate description.
Luke