PDA

View Full Version : Red Claw yabbies

Rosso
14-11-2001, 08:21 AM
Hi, does anyone know what the best bait to put in the opera house traps?

Some say use sardines, while others say rockmelon skins...

Any ideas or websites abot it would be greatfull!

Oh btw i will be at the BP this weekend (16,17,18 November) #

Cheers,

Rosso.
#

Fitzy
14-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Hi Rosso,
I've see many "sure thing" baits used for redclaw & most of them work too. From bullock liver & fish frames to watermelon & potatoes. I think anything that puts a smell into the water will attract them as they are essentially scavengers that will take anything on offer. I've read that they are mainly vegetarian tho, so there's a good place to start.
The main thing is to be where the redclaw are the thickest to maximise catches.
Have a chat to Motty at the kiosk at Lake Barambah when you get there. He'll give you a few tips on the best spots to try.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/thumbs/Redclaw.jpg

imported_admin
14-11-2001, 11:20 AM
Hi

Boiled or half boiled spuds work well. They also don't attract the turtles to the traps.

Fitzy
14-11-2001, 11:46 AM
Hi Steve,
Did you get the low down from the BIL at Faust?

They're doin well in Big W at present, interested in an evenning redclaw run?

fitz

imported_admin
14-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Fitzy

Got that one from my Brother-In-Law from prossie. Will take you up on that offer, lets go get a few.

Rosso
Check out the rules on Funnel traps before you use them to make sure they are legal, I have heard there are some on the market that may not be legal in some states.
See http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2881.html#23 for info

Luke
16-11-2001, 02:15 PM
Just interested to know if the scientific name of "cheerax destructor" applies to these guys and if the name means what it says. In no way am I condoning or condemning.
Luke

Fitzy
16-11-2001, 03:57 PM
Luke,
Cherax destructor is the standard blue crayfish common to most area in the upper Darling & many southern coastal waters. I think they get the destructor from their habit of digging burrows upto a meter deep. They've cause many a farm dam to collapse.
Redclaw are Cherax quadricarinatus. They are native to the Gulf of Carpentaria & easterly flowing rivers of Northern Cape York. They have been legallt stocked into Tinaroo Dam & illegally translocated to many other water including Lake Proserpine in NQ & Wivenhoe, Somerset, Cressbrook & Samsonvale in SE Qld. These crays don't burrow, but will make a small nest of rocks, sticks etc to hide under.
We fear that they will get moved west of the mountains & get into the Murray/Darling catchment. They are quite good at wiping out the C. destructor in other areas. It is also feared they might be the nail in the coffin for the Murray Cray.

hope that helps a bit.

Fitzy..

Travis
16-11-2001, 06:03 PM
l can onlt talk about the faust red claw the best bait by far was dried dog biscuits yep that right dog biscuits and we brained them ever night....

Travis

Luke
16-11-2001, 06:48 PM
Fitz,
don't know about the Murray cray,will check it out but how are they destroying them(eating them?)I'm not getting your opinion here absolutely but it sounds like an against? Also I would like to see Barra trialed in some of our catchments for atleast a year or two as has been stated by yourself and others that they will not breed so no loss. Even if they wanted to there is no way in the world they will wipe out the bass in two years. The money that is made from tourism in the NT for places like Shady Ck just an eg could well be shared in the SE without damaging they're industry whatsoever. People will still want to go there. I do. I can't see that any Barra stocked impoundments have contributed a loss to them as yet as they are still constantly booked and I reckon will always be as long as there are Barra there. Might be time for the spindoctors to rat off.

Luke
16-11-2001, 07:06 PM
P.S this is only my opinion. Emotions run high especially when you have to wait for a long weekend to get to Gladstone.Lol. ;D

Fitzy
16-11-2001, 07:12 PM
Hi Luke,
THe problem with redclaw in the Murray/Darling catchment is that if they do affect that environment, there is no way we can stop them. Redclaw have either out competed with C. destructor in SEQ water or have interbred with them & then bred back to full redclaw. Not sure on the exact reason, but there's no blue crays left in Big W.
That's the difference with barra in Big W. If they are a problem, stop stocking & they're gone in short order as they definately can't breed.

Rosso
25-11-2001, 11:42 AM
You know some of the time they actually walk from one water hole to the next....

so you can imagine that by the time they get to the other side there would not be to many of them (get eaten by predators)

Strange but true.