PDA

View Full Version : Mudeye Fishing for Trout

Aussie
12-12-2001, 09:32 AM
I enjoy mudeye fishing for trout in the Snowy Mountains.I currently use a small threadline reel and whippy 7ft spinning rod.However, I have observed other fishermen using fly rods coupled with what appear to be small alvey (rather than fly) reels.Has anyone heard of this practice and does it work?What do you believe is the best outfit for mudeye fishing?

Slates
13-12-2001, 06:47 AM
G'day Aussie.
I've caught trout on mudeye using short rods and overhead reels - but I wouldn't call that ideal ;)

Fly rods are great blanks for flicking small bubble floats a long way, but I wouldn't go out and buy a fly rod for just that purpose - they're pretty expensive!
Then again, a bad fly rod is normally better than some of the good "mudeye" rods available these days so maybe a custom job would suit you (this could work out a little expensive as well though)?

Personally, I reckon the best way is with a long (around 8ft) 2-3 kg rod, 2kg line and a 'long cast' spool eggbeater with a 1/2 decent drag.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Slates

Aussie
13-12-2001, 02:42 PM
Thanks Slates,

I already have a decent fly rod and reel. That's why I was thinking of getting a small alvey and using the fly rod /alvey combination for mudeye fishing.What do you think?

Cheers Aussie

Slates
14-12-2001, 05:47 AM
ahh, gotchya!
You could be asking the wrong bloke as I've never owned an Alvey.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of people using fly rods with small threadlines mudeye fishing. What I'm trying to say is that don't go buying on specifically for use on your fly gear if you can get away with using a small threadline.

Alternatively, I 'think' that most of the distance casting records are held by Alveys - so if it's distance you're after, they could be the answer.

err.. guess I cant help much .. :P ;)

Cheers, Slates ;D

Aussie
14-12-2001, 12:09 PM
By the way Slates how well suited to fly rods are small threadlines?

Slates
20-12-2001, 08:44 AM
I reckon they're a little hard to use - especially when your used to conventianal gear. :-/

Ever thought of buying a cheap 6wt blank and making your own?

I have just never got around to it... ::)