PDA

View Full Version : fishing Awonga Dam

davo
10-09-2001, 04:37 PM
I'm planning a trip to Awonga around the full moon at the beginning of October.
What techniques & tackle have found to be successful?

The lure I have are ReidyB52's, Halco Laser120's, Predatek Vipers & spoonbills, Mann 20+,River Rat's 12+,RMG Scorpions 125,150mm.

I've been told that the weed out in the centre is good, and that casting up in the weed fringes works well.

I'm open for suggestions.

jimmy007
11-09-2001, 05:16 PM
Hi Davo,

Just read your letter on awonga dam. Sorry i cant help you on your problem regarding the above, but the reason i'm replying is to find out where awonga dam is as i'm only new on dam fishing and i'm trying to find out as much as i can on dams fishing and locations on so on, and also on the problem of whats the best lure to use when, where, and how.
I dont know about you but the more i find out on techniques and tackle the more questions i seems to be asking.

I hope someone answer your questions and i will be keeping an eye what replys you get.
And good luck with your fishing trip, lucky bugger.

Jimmy007

Fitzy
11-09-2001, 05:39 PM
I'm planning a trip to Awonga around the full moon at the beginning of October.
What techniques & tackle have found to be successful?

The lure I have are ReidyB52's, Halco Laser120's, Predatek Vipers & spoonbills, Mann 20+,River Rat's 12+,RMG Scorpions 125,150mm.

I've been told that the weed out in the centre is good, and that casting up in the weed fringes works well.

I'm open for suggestions.

Hi Davo,
I recon all the things you noted are pretty much on the money, or will at least give you a fighting chance.
It hasn't taken long for the word about those weeds in the middle to spread. Just need the wind to drop out before it fishes its best there. Those lures should do just fine.
You can also troll the River up the back, starting anywhere from the Eagles Nest, right up past Flutter Creek & to the no go zone.
You'll need a boating/fishing permit (costs nothing) from the Rangers there. See Gary & Linton. They'll also give you a map of the place when you get there.
I've got a map online at http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/ hope it helps.
Good luck & have fun. ;D

Fitzy..

Katrina
13-09-2001, 05:20 PM
;) Jimmy007, Awonga Dam is just south of Gladstone! :)

staggy
16-09-2001, 12:53 PM
G-day Davo,
# # # # # # # # When you speak to the rangers at the dam see if you are allowed to fish inside the ski area. Usually if there are no ski boats hooning around it's ok. a little while back a fishing boat was asked to move further away from some skiers as they were afraid of an accident happening. An argument followed and as a result all fishing in the ski area was stopped.
The rangers told me through the week when the ski club was not using the lake was ok. But check first mate. Tilsan barra lures in the mango color were working well some months back. Late arfternoon casting in to the weed beds is the go. I hope you like catching catfish as the place is full of the buggers. I have moved out to Mt Isa so I cant tell you how the fishing is right now. We have had some excelent times out on the dam with the kids. If your interested in some salt water fishing e-mail me a message and I can tell you some of my favourite spots. Cheers.
Staggy

Fitzy
16-09-2001, 01:21 PM
G-day Davo,
# # # # # # # # When you speak to the rangers at the dam see if you are allowed to fish inside the ski area. Usually if there are no ski boats hooning around it's ok. a little while back a fishing boat was asked to move further away from some skiers as they were afraid of an accident happening. An argument followed and as a result all fishing in the ski area was stopped.
The rangers told me through the week when the ski club was not using the lake was ok. But check first mate. Tilsan barra lures in the mango color were working well some months back. Late arfternoon casting in to the weed beds is the go. I hope you like catching catfish as the place is full of the buggers. I have moved out to Mt Isa so I cant tell you how the fishing is right now. We have had some excelent times out on the dam with the kids. If your interested in some salt water fishing e-mail me a message and I can tell you some of my favourite spots. Cheers.
Staggy

Hi Staggy,
Have you had a chance to fish Julius, Moondarra or Gunpowder up there yet?
Have also been told by Awoonga rangers that its OK to go in the ski area mid-week (IF) there are no skiers on the lake. Some good country to fish up that arm of the lake.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

staggy
17-09-2001, 02:52 PM
G-day Fitzy,
# # # # # # # # I have only just arrived home from a day trip to Lake Julius. It was my first trip out to this cracker of a dam. We had planed to fish East Liechardt dam but as we came up to the Julius turn off we took a vote and decided to change dams. We being, my wife, three rug rats and a work mate. Simon fished out of his 10 foot tinny by himself. I fished out of my 3.95mtr tinny with the family. First fish in the boat was a 35cm Sooty caught by my eldest son(smart@^**). Then the catties took over so we kept moving around checkin out the dam. The wind made it a little hard to fish the structure properly with lures. We still managed to land a steady procession of catties. I was watching my lure bounce around a submerged tree when a thumper sooty smashed it a couple of mts from the boat. He managed to get off but it sure put a smile on my face. My son was also out gunned a couple of times. #WE have fished Moondarra several times without much success on lures as yet. Orange seemed to be the color of the day with no strikes on any other color at Julius today. We plan to spend a full weekend out there next month. It's a 220km round trip from here. Bit far to cart the kids for a day's fishing. However i didn't hear any complaints on the way home today.
Staggy

Danny.o.
03-01-2002, 03:09 PM
Am going to awonga on sat 5/1/02 ;D trying for barra and red claw, be there for a week, never fished for barra before but will have a go.Have most of the above lures plus extra, going to try for mud crabs in boyne river and around that area. Let you know how i go. DANNY.O.

rivermanau
19-01-2002, 07:46 AM
I'm reliably told that white is the colur for lures up there,
outfishing gold etc.
Robert

fisher
19-01-2002, 01:29 PM
8)Hi Davo I recon your on the money with the lures you sugested but it would't hurt to take a couple of 4inch deep MAD mullets along the rangers do pretty well on them and I've caught a few good fish on them up there as well.If the weed beds are crowded as they usually are do as I do and head down along the weed beds unless you like crowds till you find the standing timber and work it closely but hang on as I had four wipeouts there over the xmass break .Next time 30 pound bionic minimum for me along there, also try the mouth of gravillier ck around the timber it holds some good fish too although the water levels will be an important factor there.It's a great place hope you enjoy as much as everybody else I've spoken to about the place.But I must add you have to work for your fish most of the time.Regards Paul.