PDA

View Full Version : red prawn trap catching prawns

Fisherman02
18-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Hey guys
Ummm a few days ago I bought a red prawn trap from mossops and have caught only 4 prawns in it :-[ any secrets?
I really need some help plz help at the moment im using white bread as bait maybe u guys can suggest a less gluey bait? Also I have heard that prawns are good bait but I cannot bring myself to put the little buggers on live is there a secret to this? When I go fishing down at the brisbane river I always take a pck of frozen prawns down with me. As bait and I go almost everyday (although with school coming up i haven't gone in 2 days) but after about 4 times the prawns start going bad! I was thinking of taking a prawn pack down and even if i dont use it just throw it away but then that could get expensive. I was also thinking bout taking only a few prawns and leaving the rest at home but then i might run out while im down there.
PlZ guys i need help cheers
Jack

Luke
18-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Hey Jack,
I also use these prawn traps and one secret is to check it about every 5-10 minutes. They get in there pretty quick and you don't have to put them in deep.I find the best times are around top and bottom of the tides and I normally use a bit of mullet or whatever I have for bait. I bait them through the last section before the tail so you don't kill them with the hook coming from underneath the belly out through the back and use little or no sinkers.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
21-01-2002, 05:16 PM
hey luke
thanks man thats really useful :) the problem I have is you know when u put the hook in it's tail it just like spasms!
Well I can't stand it when they do that is there a secret to doing that?
thanks man!!

Luke
21-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Fisherman.
no secret just hold it tight,think if you were getting one up ya I reckon you'd wrigge too. Give it a shot :)
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
22-01-2002, 10:22 AM
thanks man thats really useful
ill give it a try :) do you have msn?
I would really love to talk to ya :)