PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Anglers Join the Club - Catch a Barra

Fitzy
09-02-2002, 04:15 PM
7 February 2002

Meeting for Emerald Anglers Join the Club - Catch a Barra

STOCKED barramundi in Emerald district’s Selma weir and the Town weir on the Nogoa River downstream from the Fairbairn Dam are taking just two summer seasons to reach the 58cm legal size.

Secretary of the Central Highlands Anglers Club, Kevin McCosker, said barramundi fingerlings released into these impoundments during the past three years had created an active recreational fishery yet very few people were enjoying the experience of catching a barramundi.

To revitalise community interest in supporting the fish restocking program and to muster regional enthusiasm for sports fishing, Mr McCosker said the club would hold an open meeting at the Department of Primary Industries Emerald conference room from 7pm on February 26.

Mr McCosker said the Central Highlands region had a long association with the State Government’s Fish Stocking Enhancement Program through the former Fairbairn Dam Fish Stocking Group (FDFSG). This group launched a fish stocking program at Fairbairn Dam in 1987 with the introduction of silver perch and Murray cod fingerlings. After 14 years, membership waned due in part to the restructure of mining operations and the transfer and relocation of staff. FDFSG assets were passed to the Central Highlands Anglers Club in 1999.

“Our Club recognises that the Fairbairn Dam covering 14,500 hectares is an exceptional resource but based on a recommended fish stocking rate of 200 fingerlings/surface ha, it is a project far beyond our financial capabilities,” Mr McCosker said.

“All club efforts have concentrated on stocking the Nogoa River’s downstream weirs including the most recent release of 6000 barramundi into the town weir on December 11 last year. These local impoundments are filled on a regular basis from Fairbairn Dam releases to provide perfect growing conditions,” he said.

Guest speaker for the February 26 public meeting would be DPI senior Fisheries extension officer, Peter Long, Rockhampton. Mr Long would provide an insight into the State Government’s financial support for the fish stocking program.

Mr Long said more than 90 delegates representing up to 60 fish stocking groups in the State’s southern sector from Rockhampton to the NSW border were expected to attend the 2002 Annual Fish Stocking Workshop on April 27-28 at Gladstone.

DPI Queensland Fisheries Service researchers working in cooperation with the Central Highlands Anglers Club would conduct a survey of fish stocks in the Selma and town weirs on April 29. Mr Long said an electro-fisher would be used. This device momentarily stunned fish for species identification and to record weight and size before being released.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further information: Kevin McCosker, secretary, Central Highlands Anglers Club, Emerald, Q Ph (07) 4983 7404 #Mobile 0407 730 476
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Peter Long, senior extension officer, Queensland Fisheries Service, Rockhampton Ph (07) 49360253 Mob 0428 799574
Media Officer: Russ Boadle, Rockhampton Ph (07) 4936 0320; Mobile 0418 789939
Department of Primary Industries Media Unit
Central Region Office, Box 6014, Rockhampton Mail Centre, Q 4702 Fax (07) 4936 0317
DPI Call Centre 8am-6pm weekdays on local call 13 25 23

Cremated_Reddog
09-02-2002, 04:41 PM
Hey Fitzy, you wouldn't happen to be going up to this by any chance would you?????...

Fitzy
09-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Hi Reddog,
While I am concerned about the future of fish stocking in that region, I'm already locked into a western rivers cod trip on that weekend. I'll have to give that one a miss.
I do however plan be heading there later this year to sample the fishing on offer.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Cremated_Reddog
10-02-2002, 07:38 AM
howdy Fitz, well mate iwhen you do decide to head out that way let me know cause I used to own a house out there and haven't been there for ages, wouldn't mind headin north west again for a couple of days... maybe I could go to that meeting and report back?????

Cheers Reddog